View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
How much kiddish a raging guy must be.... 

Post How much kiddish a raging guy must be....
....when someone always ragequits with such a message?:

Stop this!! :x I really dont want to watch you anymore doing this.!

Faking server admin actions is really rude to the server admin.

I post it public, because its a thing I want to tell to you all, because there are more random people doing this.

If you do it further conn067, then I may have to think about an action about you. Do you want that? I dont think so... And I dont want to have to do either.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Post Re: How much kiddish a raging guy must be....
I don't know what's more immature ... that person "faking" server messages (which are really easy to identify as fake btw), or you bawwing about it publicly instead of just contacting the server admin privately.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 am

It was my server ..

And I gave the cause, why I posted it public.

Because he isnt the only person who does this shit.

And that doesnt matter how easy it is to find out.

The fact that he does it and the intention behind it, is that counts.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 am
Profile ICQ WWW

Doesn't impersonating get you masterbanned? And he's kind of impersonating the server, so... yeah.

I can't help thinking the newline bug is kinda cool, though.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:32 am
hnnnnnnnnng

Heh, I'll stop then :p Anyway, I don't think you can do this any more in 98D.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:08 am

the ccmd ext /n has been disabled in 98d.
I'd have to say, usually using /n and other stuff like that should result in a temporay ban. I'd say either 1-4 weeks.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:39 am
Profile WWW

It's not really a big deal IMO.

Exploiting the line break (\n) in chat was waaaaaaay more rampant back in the 96f days, whereas you could kinda use it to impersonate other people or make it look as if somebody else was saying something that they really weren't.

... But in the incident which is being described here, it really doesn't seem that serious. It's just somebody being stupid and trying to stage being "banned" (although not convincingly). He's not really trolling or disrupting the game in any way, he's just exploiting some chat bug in hopes of gaining attention.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Dont you get it damn?

The intention of that is, that it looks like the server admin (in this case me (or dark-slayer who has rcon rights) ) has done this.

And thats a thing that cant be.

That is of course a serious problem when someone is faking server admin actions!

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:21 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
hnnnnnnnnng

Ænima wrote:
It's just somebody being stupid and trying to stage being "banned" (although not convincingly). He's not really trolling or disrupting the game in any way, he's just exploiting some chat bug in hopes of gaining attention.

..wtf?

Also, De-M-oN, I said I'll stop, so quit bitching damnit! They've even taken this out in 98d, I really don't see why you have to keep going on >_<

*edit* Why are you all jumping to weird conclusions as to why I did it/the intention, etc anyway? It's just a stupid bind I made, wtf is all the fuss about :shock:

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:31 pm

De-M-oN wrote:
Dont you get it damn?

The intention of that is, that it looks like the server admin (in this case me (or dark-slayer who has rcon rights) ) has done this.

And thats a thing that cant be.

That is of course a serious problem when someone is faking server admin actions!

Well fine, if you really think it's so serious, then ban him from your server and be done with it. Theres no need to keep bickering about this publicly, IMO.

Besides, the admins are pretty much going to tell you the same thing, so I really don't see why you're trying to expose Conn's misbehavior to them or to anyone else.

BTW Conn, I wasn't insulting you or anything. When i said you were "being dumb", i meant that you were using pointless spammy binds like that one (which does indeed look pretty dumb to the other players). Sorry if i gave you the wrong impression.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Yo, alright for one, the chat line bug is annoying, there's too many kiddies abusing it, and there's the gullible ones who believe that those lines are being said by certain people. In this case he's making it seem as if the server is booting conn for no reason what so ever (aka admin abuse). Demon is only trying to backup himself so that way he isn't reliable for "abusive actions" regardless of the issue. (which is a smart thing on his side)

- Anyway, both sides agreed, so let's let this thread die.

Also - "that person "faking" server messages (which are really easy to identify as fake btw), "

- It's a different story when you're checking logfiles.

Cyber's Mediafire Stash: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2696c142fb786735ab1eab3e9fa335ca16e1e3ea928c1b46

Code:
Riding the Wave is Skeith, the Shadow of Death, to drown all that stands.
Mirage of Deceit, Innis, Betray all with the flawed image, and did aid the Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Wy Hai Thar!

Just let it be known that anyone caught exploiting the newline bug on Obsidian is banned on sight, for at least a month if not more. In some extreme cases, master bans have been considered for those, for some people who really abuse them.

That should give you a fairly good idea how serious it is.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 am

Cyberimp666 wrote:
Also - "that person "faking" server messages (which are really easy to identify as fake btw), "

- It's a different story when you're checking logfiles.

But if every message is timestamped, then would that make it easy to spot one of these falsified messages?

For instance, this might be a legit message:
Code:
[20:03:46] Player1: hey guys
[20:04:02] Player1 has been banned

Whereas this one might have been made using the next line exploit:
Code:
[20:03:46] Player1: hey guys
Player1 has been banned

Then again that's just my theory. I've never actually looked at a log containing the exploit so please correct me if i'm mistaken.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:52 am

Eruanna wrote:
Just let it be known that anyone caught exploiting the newline bug on Obsidian is banned on sight, for at least a month if not more. In some extreme cases, master bans have been considered for those, for some people who really abuse them.

That should give you a fairly good idea how serious it is.

hmm, I may also do this with the KI servers if it is ok with Demon.

Also, another thing i have in mind. There are usually 2 or 3 people playing with the name "Player" and if 1 does something wrong, idk which one did it, so if both you Eruanna and Demon don't mind doing this to your servers
Code:
addban Player 36500days  "Sorry, The name Player is not allowed in this server"
Something like this.

Edit: Added extra parameter, otherwise it won't add. Also, gotta find a better way to do it.
Edit2: Cannot get it working...

Last edited by -=Dark-Slayer=- on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Wy Hai Thar!

Go ahead. Make sure to do it to all "player" people.

It's their own damn fault for not changing their name if they're innocent so they can stay banned for all I care.

This should encourage people to at least alias when this happens so that it's easier to manage the server when it does.

Using the name "player" should not grant any immunity whatsoever imo. :)

(I have a feature suggestion that should hopefully help with this: http://skulltag.net/tracker/view.php?id=144)

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 am

You get the ok from me for both @ dark-slayer.

The "player" thing is disturbing me too, so I fully agree to this.

Especially I agree to this, that it shouldn't be possible to have names twice or multiple times.

I saw it already two times that my nick was suddenly twice on scoreboard.. (even with the same color scheme too)

Some month earlier I saw someone named as Marchenoir (again with same colors).
But it wasnt Marchenoir. Marchenoir even wasnt on this server.

I'm so sure with this, because in comparison to Marchenoir he played rather bad and he had an ~120 Ping on this server (I dont remember which one, but I believe it was Obsidian) while Marchenoir has an ~40 Ping.)

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:59 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]