View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
New map: Missile Site 

Post New map: Missile Site
So, I took my conclusions in this thread and drew a new map which is an attempt to mix good points of AOW02, AOW09 and AOW15.

Download link

Screenshots

If anyone wishes to join in on a Gameplay test I can set up a server later today. If the Zandronum gods are permitting.

(Grass daytime map ftw. But hey, at least it is not brown and green but black and green!)

Last edited by K4r4t3k4n4k4s on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:18 am

Post Re: New map: Missile Site
I'm thoroughly impressed with this map. I'll probably post a more detailed analysis later, but for now, this looks great from roaming around it.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:22 pm
the All Out War 2 pro

Looks pretty decent. Any chance of missiles launching? :p

Code:
[20:31] <Synert> so yeah thanks dusk
[20:31] <Synert> for accidentally setting him on my forums
[20:31] <Medicris> dying
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v
[20:32] <Dusk> hahaha
[20:33] <Eric> truly a fate worse than banning

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:22 am

OH... I really liked.
Perfect map =)

I hope it will be in the next release.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:37 pm
The Undead Queen B

Looks good, We need more maps, anything besides 02 :T !

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I managed to get rid of 4 out of 5 bridge objects for fence by using custom bridge objects, thus shrinking wad file of 1.4Mb. Updated download link although changes will not be visible in game.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:49 am

Can't you just use the 3dmidtex flag for the fence linedefs instead of relying on bridge things? I also wonder if the map's a bit too small to have mechs.

I feel as if the center area, due to being so geometrical, could be made a bit more of an artifical arena thingy. I also woner if the missile silos could actually open up... P:

Excellent layout, nonetheless. The air drop crates are a neat idea.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:59 am
Profile WWW

Thanks, I'll check it out.

You mean open as in fall down to instantaneous death? 8-)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:47 am

I was thinking about the silos opening up and missile being shot out bit like how synert mentioned. Not that I would think it'd be possible.. Though I think that with some flat animating a openable 3d floor lid would be possible to pull off.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
the All Out War 2 pro

I do have an idea on how you could make them open, but it's overly complicated and probably not worth the effort. Might put together a test wad to show what I mean at some point, though.

Code:
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:56 pm

>Doom engine

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:00 pm

ye, map look very good :)
i not test map, but i see in scrennshot what it easy defend map. hard for stelsh and mech atacks. but it good to, need different in protecting maps.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:57 pm
the All Out War 2 pro

Konda wrote:
>Doom engine

my idea was literally just having several layers of 3d floors for the doors, each smaller than the last- so you'd just make them disappear one by one so it looks like it's opening.

Code:

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:27 pm

I was thinking about using ChangeFloor/ChangeCeiling with offset textures in ACS to simulate it opening. The 3d floor height wouldn't change in such a case, and you'd only need one so it'd be easier on the framerate.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:33 pm
Profile WWW

Dusk wrote:
Can't you just use the 3dmidtex flag for the fence linedefs instead of relying on bridge things? I also wonder if the map's a bit too small to have mechs.

I feel as if the center area, due to being so geometrical, could be made a bit more of an artifical arena thingy. I also woner if the missile silos could actually open up... P:

Excellent layout, nonetheless. The air drop crates are a neat idea.

Finally got my ass around to fix the fence. Simple as .... once you know how to tick a checkbox instead of placing a thousand items. :oops:

As for small and mechs, from res to res it's actually almost identical size to AOW02. Which also has a linear design.

I'll reconsider the mid field during the weekend 8-)

Download link updated, no visible changes.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 pm

What's the simplest way to convert texturing to new version ?

Guess I'd have to cut'n'paste buildings and search-and-replace the others manually with doom builder.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:32 pm
Faith implies fate

I think this is the great map that might become overplayed and good replacement for monotone aow02.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
:/

I disagree with Ermac.

I've played this map several times today and my general feel for this map is that...I don't like it. It's smaller than AOW02, more cramped, and provides less cover. The thing with AOW02 vs this, is that at midfield there are crates and a large wooden wall to obstruct the view, which forces the player to go left or right. Excuse the poor diagram, I don't have a tablet.

In Barrens, players move in the direction of the mechs, ie, forward, whereas in Missile Site players and mechs cross over and have 2 paths to walk, which only add to the utter chaos. However, the biggest thing, is that giant impassable, unshootable section in the middle that diverts the fire, again, compared to the bare open battlefield in your map. Mechs directly trample over supporting infantry, which only forces late game to be either dominantly mechs or close quarters class. There's no breathing room for snipers or gauss (unless you got pro aim), once again, to Barren's larger distance from the base/frontline. The large wall doesn't cut it because there's only one way around it, into the middle field.

For the tunnels, I'd recommend some angles to bend the tunnels here and there because currently the short distance right-angle allows enemies to too easily shoot down ALL harvesters.

Another thing that contributes to some dislike, is the distance between the bases. Measuring the res distances doesn't cut it; there is alot of floor elevetation (!!) between the paths, and turrets cannot directly interfere with tunnel warfare (unless there's a mini). The distances doesn't matter; you can turret rape all the tunnels in Missile Site.

The base layout is "similar" to AOW02, with the exception of a rear entrance and with fences instead. This design fails because the Obelisk can shoot you THROUGH the fence, killing virtually all hiding spots. AOW02, walls protect you and the ascended ridge at the back allows for some more strategic stealthing capability.

Suggestions
*Enlarge tiberium room, add an extra ladder up to outlook spot
*Enlarge central battlefield, or add some large rocks for cover
*Do something to prevent over turret-ing the tunnels
*Maybe add some twist or bends with the Tiberium tunnels to prevent excessive assholing
*Remove airdrop. Really. I mean it. Extra crates for an even smaller map? Not working out too well.
*Space out distance between wall/fence or add some height obstacles
*Make water actually deep :V (aesthetics nitpick)
*Remove portals. Seriously, what the honest fuck? Portals? There's NOWHERE TO PLACE THEM.

I hope this helps. This map has potential.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:34 am

Thanks for feedback. Players are creative and will find ways to circumvent gameplay challenges due to map layout. So I think it's too early to draw too many certain conclusions about game play. I would also like to add that this map _is not_ AOW02. So I welcome discrepancies in game play. No one would want another equal map (well maybe except for the "AOW66" (old renegade) crowd 8-) )

Twists and bends to tib tunnels are a good idea. I'm also a bit curious what you think of mechs entering these tunnels ?

Did you mean deep water in the "pond" or in the sea ?

Sniping and Gausing is good from the base area. Also few people use Gauss on for example aow20 so classes are not equally good for different maps.

I see no need to remove portals the hard way. I they can't be used then they won't be used but actually I can think of a few spots depending on how the game has gone.

I have found base easy to infiltrate (just use the front entrance) but hard to stay alive in.. I'm not sure this is bad. I kinda like the emphasis on mechs atm.

Your other input I'd have to dwell on a bit more.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 am

From my point of view I'm a bit surprised to the heavily centerized fighting going on so far. I had expected more fighting in front of bases, partially since the OB doesn't cover this area. But its interesting to see the development.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next