[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
All Out War 2 - View topic - New space map: MIR
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
New space map: MIR 

Post New space map: MIR
Made a new map for r2539.

Features:
* Space jump
* Speed lanes
* Somewhat asynchronous layout
* No Orca
* Cacodemons will spawn every 5th minute

Since this is an open air map I've refrained from using too much detail and separated base areas from main map area.

Feedback?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Post Re: New space map: MIR
Updated with beta3 texturing and spawn room:

I would like to have space/sky sectors cleared of items when they fall down there. Anyone know how to script that ? looks dirty with items in space with instant death :)

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:28 am

Oh damn, never saw this thread yet. No orcas? Hell yes. Ground warfare at its finest.

Interesting concept. Only nitpick I can think of is in some areas it feels like it could use some splashes of colour, like blue/red trim along wall/floor junctions. That's about it for the visuals, honestly.

Secondly, as a benchmark, how does the map look in your max resolution, GL mode, with all the fancy stuff on on your PC? There needs to be some overhead when performance is concerned, because a map can run fine on its own but lag like sin as soon as the usual AOW chaos starts. Looks to me like you can easily see the whole map, slopes, 3d bridges and all from most areas. I'll test how it runs on mine, but that not everyone's PCs are the same. Runs 60FPS in Software and GL with all the fancy doodads here.

As for the item question, no idea.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Coloring is a good idea. Updated now with some more bling. :)

Map runs fine on my end. I can test it with different PCs but I think that lag would be more visible in network play with lots of stuff going on. You are right that more breaks for the line of vision could be needed. That's also one reason for disabling Orca. If you are firm on the ground you don't see that much at the same time.

But actually I don't know how to disable orca in the new menu. Input on that?

Edit: tested it in software on slower PC and removed some slopes from immediate field of view. When you exit base area it is the slowest. Might need some more work.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:31 am
Lead Artist

:O

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:24 am

Download link updated with the one included in mappack 9 running on BE server. I welcome feedback

I've already pretty much decided to remove cacodemon invasion in an updated version

Some guys complain about lag and I pretty much conclude that to be PC dependent. Buy a newer PC :)

Also mentioned is the single base entry (whereas it has 3 exits). AOW06 and pretty much AOW02 also has 1 base entry. So multiple entries are not mandatory. Also you can use jumpjet to enter secondary exits. But I'll have to test play map more to decide on this.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:13 am

i'm not gonna buy a newer pc for a game that already runs fine as is. there's something wrong with the idea that just because it's aow and somehow not-doom it needs a crysis-tier pc to run. sorry, it's still doom!

there are already maps that mostly run great (aow01 is pretty big, aow04 is kinda big, and both generally run well), and just about anything in regular old doom runs even better; even mm8bdm runs pretty well. seriously, does it matter if it looks "bad" when it plays like amazing?

yes, i consider zh and wdi to be similar problems. the maps are way too big and way too detailed for what they do, and really, for doom. . that applies to gfx-omg as much as it applies to new-buttons-to-press.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 am

Zandronum is just not optimized. Not nearly as much as (G)ZDoom has been.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:05 pm
Profile WWW

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:14 pm

If the framerate is a problem, one-sided lines are perhaps the best cure for that as they block the view completely, thus removing visplanes.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:47 am
Profile WWW

So yeah, this map is pretty shitty in current version. I'll have to work on that update. If it's worth saving at all :twisted:

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:51 pm

The bad aspects:
Mainly cuz it's vast and the plenty of cacos - makes people lag.
On the other side it has the only one way, through the front gate entry to the base and no alternative routes. You can put mines at the front gate, sandbags/wires, rifle turrets and finish the job (as on the AOW66).

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:16 pm
Profile WWW

Map looks well on sceens, because of hight camera position, but there are not such views during gampley passing over. So, it would be nice, if you add some high sectors, also good for snipers.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:08 am

Allright.
New version without cacos, a tad smaller and reduced slowness overall.

Not much changes to game play. Let me know what you think, especially if you have slower PC.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]