View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Learn to map! 
The Undead Queen B

Post Learn to map!
I've made my own maps on doom builder 2 and recently I've been wanting to get into making all out war 2 maps. Can anyone teach me?, or is there a tutorial online somewhere? I would love to submit my maps if I were to make some that had some quality. ;)

Fri May 11, 2012 2:13 am

Post Re: Learn to map!
Also interested in this

Fri May 11, 2012 7:54 am

Hmm.. when making an AOW map you need to keep a few things in mind. I can't give a full-out tutorial here, but I'll give a few tips:

Firstly, consider the actual size of it. There's a reason nobody plays Lava Giant. I'd say around Infected size would be ideal, Barrens size the minimum and Wasteland size the maximum. Ideally, the mapset should have varying sizes of maps.

Secondly, the layout should be well inter-connected and dynamic. This is where Mercury falls flat on the face and maps like Hell's March and Unending Pain suffer too. There's two mid-field extremities - in AOW12, caves and the ice arena with the crate. The point here is: in AOW12 you can't easily reach the caves from the crate area - you need to go all the way back to your base and through the entrance there.

Also keep in mind your base layout. Where are you positioning the buildings? The refinery ends up often being near the back route to the base, often even covering the obelisk, leading into numerous refinery raids. The positioning of the Obelisk also determines how much terrain it will be able to cover - thus determining how powerful it is. In AOW04: Glacier, there is the obelisk covering a lot of the map, thus being really dominant; the opposite can be found in AOW07: Canyon, where the Obelisk's positioning and the overall crampedness of the base makes the Obelisk virtually useless.

Symmetricy is another thing to consider. Do you want the midfield sides to be identical like most maps, or would you defy from that and make an uneven midfield like Infected? The former is generally the safe route, but your map can be gold if you pull off an uneven midfield properly. I've been thinking about doing that in a map someday. Watch out though - if you don't do it right, the map can easily become lopsided.

Also, how open the map is? Always be sure to include cover in the map, but there should be open areas as well. AOW19: Valley pulls this off pretty well. As well, be sure to include height variation - nobody likes flat maps!

Consider your theming. What hasn't been done before? When revamping AOW14, I chose for this red-zone, tiberium infested wasteland theme because there wasn't any map like that in the pack. Don't do another desert or a glacier or a city, we've seen enough of those already! Try be unique. Also, what's the mood of the terrain? Try not to make an overall friendly map - add in a few hazards to keep things interesting. AOW14 takes this up to eleven with damaging floors everywhere. Also, we've all seen instakill pits, try be more creative than that. ;)

On a related note, also try to make a featureful mid-field. Add some things that players could use to aid in their quest to take down the enemy base. Outpost nodes/bunkers, guard towers, ammunition crates, additional weapons, things like this. Stuff worth keeping an eye on.

Summarizing, keep the layout interconnected and do things that hasn't been done before. Ask yourself, what isn't present in the map list at the moment? What's lacking? Try be unique in as many ways as possible, that makes your map memorable.

As for technical stuff like building configuration, I should've uploaded AOW99 by now.. but just keep forgetting that. I'll put it up in a moment once I'm back to my linux installation where my stuff is at..
[EDIT] OK I pulled it up
[EDIT v2] Moved this to Maps

.. oh wow, what an essay this post turned out to be!

Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 pm
Profile WWW

Hi everyone. I have find this tutorial of creating 3d floor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rsLrwFlhME, but it didn't work for me.
If we exclude the fact that I did something wrong, is it even possible to make it works for AoW maps? Especially when you consider,
that all the bridges were not made as a 3d floor in all AoW maps.
And what is the relation between zDoom and skulltag? As i understand, skulltag is only multiplayer extension for zDoom, and if the latest version of zDoom supports
"room on room", then we can also use this feature in AoW maps.

Tue May 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi.

In the current 98d version, the software renderer cannot display 3D floors, and as such they are therefore disabled in competitive gamemodes. Mods like Zombie Horde and WhoDunIt are exempt of this as they're technically survival though are practically opengl-only. However, the 98e development version supports flat 3D floors, so they can be used. Software cannot display sloped 3D floors, though.

Because of this, you can use non-sloped 3D floors in your maps, but they can't be included in AOW before 98e releases as stable. Use them sparingly, though, they're expensive on the software renderer's framerate!

As for the relation between ZDoom and Skulltag, Skulltag is a multiplayer-orientated source port that derives from ZDoom and, while it aims to keep up with ZDoom's updates, the past few releases have been bugfixes only and thus the codebase is a couple of years outdated by now. The 3D floor branch was specifically backported as kgsws made a patch that made inclusion easy.

Tue May 22, 2012 4:59 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for information. But why AoW is so software renderer oriented?
I don't expect, that so many people prefer this mode with its perspective distortion.

Tue May 22, 2012 7:21 pm

It's not. It's just good practice to make mods software-compatible if possible.

Tue May 22, 2012 7:45 pm

There are people who can't run the OpenGL renderer - or simply prefer the software renderer above the hardware one - including members of the dev team. I've promised that AOW will always remain software-compatible while I work on it and I intend to keep that.

I myself use software as well, mainly because the hardware one tends to heat up my system.. and despite the distorted freelook (cl_oldfreelooklimit helps to cap that btw) I think that software's lighting style is superior to that of the GL one.

And besides, Skulltag itself doesn't allow 3D floors in competitive modes before 98e, even if the mod was declared OpenGL only. So it's not something I can even do anything, even if I wanted to.

Tue May 22, 2012 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Undead Queen B

in volcanicity, (ME THINKS) that there is a 3D Bridge connecting the blue base to the rest of the map, near the slope that leads to the sniper spot.

Tue May 22, 2012 9:05 pm

That's a mid-texture bridge, not a true 3D floor bridge.

Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 pm
Profile WWW

Here is my map. I made only rough draft without any design and details, so it looks like shit. And I have some qustions:
Does it make sense to continue to work on it or it's better begin new one?
If it does, can you give me some advices, what exactly I have to rework and improve.
How do you make this smooth tunnels, like in emerald wasteland? Do you use some plugins with brushes, or draw by hand?

Attachments:
beta.rar [618.15 KiB]
Downloaded 256 times
Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Interesting layout, that I'll say.

Sun May 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Hmm... the Obelisk doesn't really pose a threat back there, when walking on the left entrance to the bases, the Obelisk has zero sight. Not saying that the Obelisk should raep everything, but in my opinion it should at least function as an intruder alarm.

Also, I have a feeling this map will be infantry-heavy considering all of the infantry advantageous positions, and the many mech pathways visible by infantry bunkers.

Sun May 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Yeah I think it's an interesting one definitely. Not sure if mechs are too vulnerable on this map, though, yeah..

GoatSex wrote:
How do you make this smooth tunnels, like in emerald wasteland? Do you use some plugins with brushes, or draw by hand?

I make them by hand, yeah.

Sun May 27, 2012 2:10 pm
Profile WWW

GoatSex wrote:
Here is my map. I made only rough draft without any design and details, so it looks like shit. And I have some qustions:
Does it make sense to continue to work on it or it's better begin new one?
If it does, can you give me some advices, what exactly I have to rework and improve.

I really like how you utilize height in this map. I'm sure base structure layout is on you rework list. Also the tiberium I think should be placed outside of base.

As this looks like a map where infantry will own I'd love to see some orca or jumpjet friendly shortcut tunnels or similar where the map height can be creatively used.

The u-shaped pathway may look too gauss/sniper friendly. But you'd love that wouldn't you :D

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 am

I didn’t want to create another thread for this.
I have this message every time I open or create a map.

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 380.97 KiB | Viewed 5901 times ]

I think this results to my next problems.

After dying while testing my maps I’m getting switched to spectators (with down to up blending effect)

I can’t build a miniref – I’m getting a message “should be built on tib field”. I’ve noticed that my crystals don’t have smoke above them. (Do I need to put anything more than just TiberiumCrystalGiver?)

And how to change map and author name?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:02 am

Quote:
<doombuilder errors>

You don't need to load skulltag_actors.pk3 and I'd discourage using skulltag_data.pk3 either as the next version - whenever that gets done - is to be independant of skulltag_data.pk3.

Quote:
After dying while testing my maps I’m getting switched to spectators (with down to up blending effect)

Seems like you're testing it in single player mode. If you use the "netgame" console command, it should switch to multiplayer emulation.

In doom builder, press F6 to open game-specific configurations. In the configuration you're using, try append " +netgame" at the end of the parameter list. It should cause multiplayer emulation to be enabled by default when you test the map.

Quote:
I can’t build a miniref – I’m getting a message “should be built on tib field”.

Tiberium fields need to be tagged 18.

Quote:
I’ve noticed that my crystals don’t have smoke above them. (Do I need to put anything more than just TiberiumCrystalGiver?)

No, it should work. I've noticed some problems with them in the past in offline mode. They should work properly online, though.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:07 pm
Profile WWW

Dusk wrote:
Quote:
<doombuilder errors>

You don't need to load skulltag_actors.pk3 and I'd discourage using skulltag_data.pk3 either as the next version - whenever that gets done - is to be independant of skulltag_data.pk3.

After deleating actors from sources I'm getting this message when zandronum loads:
Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 183.1 KiB | Viewed 5892 times ]

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Hm, right. You could try then just load skulltag_actors.pk3 and ignore the error doombuilder throws. Or stuff it into the command line, too.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:23 pm
Profile WWW

Dusk wrote:
Hm, right. You could try then just load skulltag_actors.pk3 and ignore the error doombuilder throws. Or stuff it into the command line, too.

Hm. Thanks, I guess :lol:

Anyway thanks for help, "netgame" and tag 18 worked fro me.
Any other tags that's I should be aware of?

And what about map and author name, how can I change them?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next