View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
[WIP] Sugarland 
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

Post [WIP] Sugarland
Hi all,

I noticed that there are not many maps for AoW 2 (a couple years ago, in fact) which the majority of the player base finds fun and engaging, so a couple weeks ago I decided to test my hand at making a map for AoW 2. Now that I'm past the very early stage of "Becoming Committed to a Project", I thought I'd make a post and ask for comments and suggestions on my goals, plan, and on what I have done so far.

Sugarland

The theme of the map is "underground-techno-ruin". Take from that what you will, but I envision the map to take place in a large cavern/ravine of sorts with ruins inside, some of them mixed with newer technological structures (like the to-be-completed teleporter pads I have in mind)

Goals
- A base layout that leaves auxillery structures (RC and Ref) easy to destroy with infantry, but leaves the WF and Bar as hard targets.
- A base layout that is fairly large and open
- A base layout with two primary entrances, and two infantry entrances
- Two sets of teleportation pads (or something similar) that make crossing certain points in the map easy for infantry
- A midfield that provides ample cover for infantry, but will also allow mech users to 'do their thing'
- A map layout which has all paths from base to base crossing a single midfield.
- The occasional pit of death.
- Making pools of liquid with depth
- Tomoes

As of now, I am still working on the bases. I've more or less settled on the structure layout, but may move them closer together. Currently, I am finishing some of the smaller details of the base.

A few images:

The basic plan so far

Base Layout

Tomoe! (Hand Crafted)

As you can probably see, there is still much work to be done. I am not very easily influenced when it comes to my own designs, but I do listen to any criticism and comments people may have, for I like to improve my own work as much as possible.

Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 pm

Post Re: [WIP] Sugarland
Are you sure you need that many vertices to draw that symbol? It seems to be wasting resources for nothing IMO. Unless it's bigger than what I think it is.

Looks good to me though, I'm interested where this will go. :)

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:41 am
Profile WWW
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

I certainly do NOT need that many vertices for that symbol. But yeah, it is pretty big... at least it was when I made it. The screenshot was taken after I rescaled it to a smaller size so I can probably cut out about half of the vertices now.

In that same vein of thought, what is your opinion on detail vs. optimization?

I understand that some people experience framerate issues with several of the current maps and I wish to avoid that with this one while refraining from making the map really low detail.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:53 pm

I've noticed that you don't really need that lot of detail in maps, it's more important to actually theme your map properly. Details are like a spice, need to use them in right amounts in right places. A well placed texture is worth ten linedefs. :P

Though I still do get occasionally carried away sometimes...

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:45 pm
Profile WWW

If you need a visual example of what he means, take a look at some UT99 and Quake 3 maps. Those don't use a whole lot of polygons, but they look great anyway. Dem textures.

two shots of a small DM map for examples

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:56 am
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

Mmmm... alright, I see what you mean there.

I've spent the better half of the past couple of hours swapping textures around to see what looks best. The biggest problem I've been running into is keeping everything from looking 'bland' (using a couple of textures that mesh well too much) and having a very unusual amount of variation (Volcanic looking rock here, grey boulders here, brownish rock here!).

I haven't accomplished much lately (aside from halving the number of vertices present not counting buildings) due to
unfortunate setbacks

Some Images

This is the first time I've attempted a map of this scale, so I'm still learning how to make things work on it. I've been trying to find some foliage, but can't find it anywhere. You know, like the foliage in canyon. I DID find particle fountains, though, and I will make use of them.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:05 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

So far that there looks fucking great.

And if we're talking about "actual" particle fountains (as in spewing out particles that depend on your settings) then I'd say stay away from those. They're fugly.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:32 am
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

Blox wrote:
And if we're talking about "actual" particle fountains (as in spewing out particles that depend on your settings) then I'd say stay away from those. They're fugly.

Aww... alight, I was just looking for something to add to the teleporters. I guess they don't really need anything, but if I can figure out a simple effect I will use it.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Try using the portal's teleport fog, then? Would that look alright?

Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:59 am
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

I lost all progress on the previous map (sorry bout that) in a hard drive crash, but I have started work on a Sugarland II. My goals are to make it smaller and be less resource intensive while maintaining the same map layout. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this one, and I should so long as school doesn't get in the way (ha, what am I saying, It's 4AM right now xD).

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 am
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

I did a tidbit of work. I'm not really sure if this style of map would work well with AoW. As of now, each base will be nestled in the back corners, and there will be a large, central tiberium field full of nasty spots (if you're an infantryman without chem armor). Dead center there will be a structure. Between the tiberium field and bases is a slightly winding passage raised above the field which includes a few small structures.

There will be four paths across the center, and two entrances to each base. The four paths are visible in the screenies. On the far left is a lift, and on the far right a ramp. These are the only mech paths up the ridge. Infantry will have the additional option of crossing bridges which span the structures across the center of the map and taking the toxic stream to hop up to the ridge.

There isn't much to it, but any thoughts? Aside from the horrible textures, of course...

The bridges are currently 3D floors. When I am finished, there should only be four floors/sectors in total on the map.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]