View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Working on a map 

Post Working on a map
Soo, I'm working on a map.

Screenshot

Since I'm new to UDMF format mapping I've been learning a lot of things the last week and it has been great fun. Actually more fun than playing. :D

Download map

I wanted to create a map with a central "arena" where most of the action will take place. Have some special paths where util or less used classes like chem trooper and jumpjet can come in handy. I'm thinking of calling it "Waste Plant" as that was what I had in mind when working on the design. Despite the name I didn't want a lot of pools where you would die, but am thinking some more could be added.

I will have to add items, go through textures and brightness, add more "eyecandy" (think I could keep doing that forever) but before I finalize the map I would like some input on the overall design:

* Does it look good ? Should something be added or withdrawn ? I think the side path should be extended and walkable throughout the map, not across though.
* What about size, is the map too small ?
* Base design ?
* Mechs ? I think I would like them enabled as it's more fun but right now I would have to adjust some heights for them.

Since design ideas came before game play I welcome you to scrutinize this map. I'm thinking with some input on above I could finalize it for release/testing and keep working on it iteratively as things come up.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Post Re: Working on a map
I think the layout looks interesting and worth a shot.

About texturing, I'd say overall it looks pretty good but you're using too much black, try contrast it with more green and you should be fine. :) After all, it's a waste facility map, so why not have more waste? Though the rusty metal texture you used at the corners really isn't meant for that kind of usage - the way it's put really kills it.

There's those three tunnel entrances at the base - two of them are inaccessible. Why is this?

The gray lifts found around can't be pushed to operate, so you can only go down with them but not up. I'd make them two-way myself.

Also waste == barrels, why the lack of those things?

Maybe the name "Biohazard" would do better than "Waste Plant" myself but eh that's probably just me.

As for music I was thinking about Blow It Up for the score, though I think there could be a more fitting one around.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Faith implies fate

May I suggest Quake II ambient to be added, fire sky, Quake II boxes, Quake II textures. Actually I would like that screenshot has that fire sky. Fire sky:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 am
Profile WWW

I dunno, that would sorta ruin the black/green theme..

BTW, the mid definitely needs lots more team color if I'm asked - you want to be able to tell the player which way they should be going to at all times.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the input. Explodable barrels is a great idea that adds dynamics to the map. I've also thought about adding more "life" as pushable buttons where you could for example damage other players, but am not sure if that would be controlling the gameplay too much.

Lifts, check.

Overall texturing is on to-do list. The brown color might be right but texture is wrong, you are right about that. Sky I haven't thought about yet but red might fit. I think I want the main part to be "indoors" though. Agree on pedagogical team coloring.

Blocked pipe entrances were added because i thought they would make the distance across the map to narrow and it's quite easy to for example rocket jump to them. But am not sure about their use yet. Think I could include them in another waste pool.

I'm thinking of the access ways as making "checkpoints" in the map. By that I mean points of control were you could set up a front. The way I see it for example barrens has 3 or 4 such points in mid map. If routes is from every direction I think it will mean more chaos as there are no natural front creating areas. But that could on the other hand also be interesting and perhaps more arena like.

Is there a sector code for chem damage btw ?

Should map be bigger to include mechs or is it plausible as it is ?

Will check music suggestion when I have access to sound.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 am

K4r4t3k4n4k4s wrote:
I'm thinking of the access ways as making "checkpoints" in the map. By that I mean points of control were you could set up a front. The way I see it for example barrens has 4 such points in mid map. If routes is from every direction I think it will mean more chaos as there are no natural front creating areas. But that could on the other hand also be interesting and perhaps more arena like.

I think that if you can do it, it could be worth a shot too. As I said at one point, the more unique the map is, the better.

Quote:
Is there a sector code for chem damage btw ?

No, but you can tag it and do this in ACS:
Code:
script 1 OPEN {
   while (1) {
      SectorDamage (tag, damage, "ChemicalSpecial", "", DAMAGE_PLAYERS|DAMAGE_NONPLAYERS);
      delay (35);
   }
}

Replace tag and damage appropriately. For the record, you can also use FireSpecial for fire damaging floors too.

Quote:
Should map be bigger to include mechs or is it plausible as it is ?

I feel it is ultimately up to the mapper to decide whether to make a mechless map. Do what your heart tells you to do. :P
If you decide not to include mechs I'd suggest removing the war factories altogether as they serve no real purpose then.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 am
Profile WWW

Another week another version! Nearly completed now, although a few glitches exist. And still too black? Also sounds are missing.

Download link again

Updated screenshots for lazy people

So, feedback, even details, and I might finalize it this weekend before holiday. Otherwise it'll have to wait. :)

Question:

Is it not possible to spot Barrels with SpawnSpot ? I have added a button calling a script functioning with Unicorns but I'd rather use barrels. 8-)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:11 pm
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Looking good, what can I say.

Needs more explosive barrels, however! :p

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm very curious as to a base with the Barracks and War Factory at the front of the base instead of tucked in the back like usual.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Look nice :)

Last edited by Dusk on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

please don't quote entire posts

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:11 am

I noticed the walls around the base aren't impassible and you can thus jump over it. Also, why is there an AOW12-styled research centre and spawn room mixed with AOW06-styled buildings? It feels out of place to me.

The switch at the north-east corner of the center arena tries to call script 2 which doesn't exist.

Quote:
Is it not possible to spot Barrels with SpawnSpot ? I have added a button calling a script functioning with Unicorns but I'd rather use barrels.

Spawn "ExplosiveBarrel"s, should do the trick.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:46 am
Profile WWW

Thanks. I'll try it. Will fix the walls. Haven't meddled around with it but noticed I couldn't build a mini-ref, could it be that it's liquid in the area? It's not buildable in the "waterfall" area either.

I went from using AOW12 style buildings but changed to AOW06 because I wanted a smaller base area and those buildings were smaller. Newer res were same size and looked better but I can change it.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:26 am
:/

That blue base shot could use a few dirt patches, if you know what I mean

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:01 am

It's done!

Download

Updated screenshots

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:18 pm
Faith implies fate

Please upload on other link again, cuz this link isn't responsive. I would like review your last version of the map.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:26 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks! Link fixed

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:48 pm
Faith implies fate

Here is my review (Lancer and me were testing it):

Defenses concerns me the most:
1. Base buildings are so packed close together, i can wallup all sides and make defense so easily and you will fail after fail when comming in my base. Obelisk in the center making defending base even easier. Base space should be more wider and buildings further from each other, obelisk on the side usually covering mostly barracks entrance, making some of 2 buildings very vurneable from side and back (like on AOW01: Mining site RC and WF are vurneable from back or side)

2. Tiberium waterfall can be used in both direction, I can make chemproof for any class and it can walk trough it. That's very unusual. Then I can put mines on it and tiberium waterfall will not carry them away. You need to put bars there so noone can go trough it.

3. Front of base when undergrounds start I can fill in with tones of turrets and mini-ravens. For me, it seems base buildings are packed close and tight like that they don't need much defenses. Spamming defense like this will destroy the gameplay:
ImageImage

4. I can jam those elevators with sandbags and mines, even near your base, being completely useless for you and I having completely advantage of them.
ImageImage

5. Lancer has good point with saying this will be like AOW02:Barrens, difference is you can move whole defense outside. In Barrens you have wall to worry about, as here is all completely tight inbase. Unlike Barrens here we have upper levels that can be completely controlled by one team. Some of upper levels has to be removed. They mustn't be connected like that. They will ruin the game.

6. SSG can just jump from above level and kill everyone under low level. It's bad when map promoves one classes over others (same for Volcanocity stealth-sniper-jet). SSG obvious has advantage here. If I mine paths and make snipers camps safe (from chainsaw-stealth), you can be sniped all trough the middle from upper level without any way to kill sniper.

7. Those tubes or pipes can be used only by the team to which base they lead to, you can't go upwards (*edited). There isn't sideway to the base.

Good work, keep on doing it.. I had to point where mistakes are.

Last edited by Ermac on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:48 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Ermac. Great feedback. I will look into your suggestions

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 am

New version with Ermacs suggestions in mind. I have also made small height changes to also include mechs. :)

Download map

What's new

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi K4r4t3k4n4k4s

Ermac wrote:
5. Lancer has good point with saying this will be like AOW02:Barrens, difference is you can move whole defense outside. In Barrens you have wall to worry about, as here is all completely tight inbase. Unlike Barrens here we have upper levels that can be completely controlled by one team. Some of upper levels has to be removed. They mustn't be connected like that. They will ruin the game.

Yeah so truth. It will be a battle of Utils guys. That bring result of spam turrens... and some spam mines.
With util guy can control 75% of the map. Too much =S

I like the Obe position, so base are easily defend. And with that can use turrents outside like this:

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/5298/turrents01.png

more this 2 turents too:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5205/turrents02.png

And with some mines a team can easily control the game fast and make it a shot game XD

You, me or anyone can say the other team should fight that not happend. But... you know, people stack. In fact you are one of them XD
The stronger team can easily keep the turrents and mines up. And is not a mech map, so it is more easy remake turrents and mines.

What I think?

Base should be more far away. Turrent should not can be able to create so close of the middle field.

Bese should have more distance even from tyberium resources. In 15/20 minutes anyone can reach Commando Rank... =S Too easy in my opinion. And is so helpfull becouse Repair gun... most in Sudden Death XD

And with tyberium field so close of refinery building, mini refinery will not be use for its purpose: to keep cash flow, but will be use mainly to make turrents more near of the middle.

I hope can fix this couple of things, I really like the map, I'm sure will be one of the most played =)

Regards.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next