View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Inventory items 

Post Inventory items
INVENTORY ITEMS

In earlier builds, many items are manifested in AOW in the form of "weapons" that were used when the "weapon" is fired. Nowadays, though, this has changed into an inventory bar. What's that? Kinda like a bag of items you carry around. Other mods have taken use of the inventory bar as well, such as WDI and Stronghold. Inventory bars, for what it's worth, were introduced in Heretic and were also used in Hexen.

It is controlled in the exact same manner as the ones in the previously mentioned mods and games. The bar is invisible by default, only appearing when it is begun to be navigated. By default, the inventory is navigated with the keys [ and ] and the selected item is activated with the Enter key. When the item is selected in the bar and the bar is still visible (it dissipates if not used for a few seconds), pressing Enter will not activate the item, but will dismiss the bar - pressing it again will actually activate the item.

Here, pictured is the inventory bar, loaded with default demo expert stuff - timed and remote c4 and proxy mines. The green disc stencil indicates the mine item being selected. When you carry more than five items, arrows will appear to designate that there are more items in the bar and in which end.

So - what are these new items? Most you should already be familiar with, a few are brand new:

Image TIMED C4 -BOMB
Timed C4 -bombs... you should know this stuff already unless you're a newcomer. :P Standard explosives that are mainly used to blow up enemy structures. Spawned aplenty, this stuff can be extremely dangerous to terminals. Extra C4 can be purchased from research centre.

Image REMOTE C4 -BOMB
Remote C4 -bombs of the demo expert - this stuff is mainly used to create ambushes. Being geared towards more anti-infantry and anti-mech, this stuff does less damage than timed C4s on terminals... though it does still do a considerable amount of damage on them. Acquired with the demolitions expert class or by powerup crate. Note: when activated, it does not throw the remote C4 immediately, instead it only pulls it up (which replaces your current weapon until you switch out). Primary throws the bomb, alt-fire detonates it.

Image PROXY C4 -MINE
A mine that blows up when an enemy runs over them. Simple enough as that. Only way to get these in your inventory is via demo expert class but the utility gun can also spawn these in bundles.

Image TIBERIUM CRYSTAL
Found aplenty in all maps - as a harvester, go and pick it up and bring it to refinery for cash to all of your team. Though, with other classes (unless chemical proof), avoid them, for they are lethal...

Image Image ION CANNON BEACON / NUCLEAR STRIKE BEACON
Oh yes, the superweapons. Acquired from spawn room for a rather steep price, these are placed in front of enemy terminals. Once planted, they take 60 to align the ion cannon or nuclear strike proper - during which phase enemy team members can disarm them. After said 60 seconds, the ion cannon or nuclear strike is fired, causing a tremendous explosion of 40 000 damage, easily the most powerful explosion in all of AOW, powerful enough to instantly kill any terminal. Causes partial damage if planted outside.

Image EJECT MECH
A device instilled into all mechs - activate this and you will be ejected from the mech. If the mech had less than half of full health at time of ejection, it will turn into a fragile bomb - which can be detonated for a few more kills.

Image GUARDIAN POWERUP
Appears as the same as the "mech eject button" but with a downward arrow instead of an upward one. Activate to morph into the Guardian mech. Could possibly be just that crowning moment of awesome if done right in front of mech rushers. :)

Image HEALING RADIUS
The latest innovation from our benevolent sponsor company, the UAC, this device is carried around as a small pod. When thrown, it builds up into full size and begins function. What's it do? It heals anyone who comes close to it with a particularly quick healing rate of 50hp/second. It lasts for a minute before it dissipates. Be careful, though.. enemies can use it too and it is very fragile.

Mappers can also place permanent healing radii in maps. These healing radii cannot be destroyed nor do they dissipate - the editor number is 29015.

Image MARINE BEACON
Even more recent development from UAC is the marine beacon. Throw it, and after a few seconds a friendly AI marine teleports in. AI marines are also sent in as a means of compensation of lost team members who have fallen into the deadly disease of ragequitophisis.

That concludes our tour in the inventory bar. Hopefully this information will assist you in future endeavors of AOW once the new build comes out. Dismissed, marine! :)

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:40 am
Profile WWW
AKA Dardyn

Post Re: [NEW] Inventory items!
With moving the T-C4 to inventory, it should hasten the pace of the game (That is not the only thing that makes the game go faster though).

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:07 am

We'll see how much people played Strife.
Now all we need is the UAC inspection, balancing this mod.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:53 am

How do remote C4 work? Is the detonator switch still a weapon?

Otherwise, a this is a very welcome change.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:45 am

Remote C4 is basically a weapon (instead of two, though) which is brought up with the inventory item.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:32 pm
Profile WWW

Hello :)

Nice aow Test.
I like lot of things :)

REMOTE C4 -BOMB
------------------

I saw that If I put the bomb and then change a weapon I lost the Remote. That forced you to wait at enemy.

Example, I leave the bomb in my obelisk to kill enemys there. Then I'm going to kill someone in other place. If I see in my obe an enemy I would like have the remote C4 and switch out. I would like switch out the bombs anytime I wish it.

AOW13
-------

Why don't remove this map? In a month it has been played just one time... Almost every player doesnt like Aow13. Remove it please.
Or change it for old maps.
* volcanicity (This map was cool)
* shattered remains (This map was boring boring but maybe a little better than Aow13)
* sand canyon (This map was not cool but nice)

Thanks and congratulation for the work all you do in aow ^_^

Regards.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:54 am

I forget...

The guardian mech is great.
I don't want miss Juggment mech... so what do you think if Juggment mech can be like a crate. ;)

And... maybe .. :oops: ... can do the same with the old timecop.

^_^

See ya

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:58 am
FlutterGUY :/

Yay good job guys.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:58 am

Zajaquiel wrote:
I forget...

The guardian mech is great.
I don't want miss Juggment mech... so what do you think if Juggment mech can be like a crate. ;)

And... maybe .. :oops: ... can do the same with the old timecop.

^_^

See ya

'k.

Bye

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:18 pm
Faith implies fate

I like this idea, can I add something: instead of needle thats binded on 0, which is use for self-heal to have stimpacks (as in Who Dun it) as inventory or some medical pack that has 100% like in Duke Nukem 3D. Some sound can be added when health pack is used like "That's better" from Duke Nukem 3D.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:20 am
Profile WWW

I'm sorry, but won't that break combat flow? The self healing ability is for use once you're safe, to recover from a won or escaped battle. Not as an instant means of midfight +50 HP.

In effect all that would do is make players have 50 more health to burn through before killing anyone. Medicsurfing was bad enough. Right?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:54 pm
Faith implies fate

I was thinking to replace that needle with something properly when Dusk mention items replacement for "weapons" but I never make good idea. Sorry for spam.

You are right about frustrating medicsurfing but still thinking >> it is just the basic shotgunner class with medical gun and suddenly he becomes unbeatable if it is played by skilled player. It is very hard for me to tell. I favorize those players that kill me with medic like jackass. I would keep self-healing only for medic but thats only my opinion.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:19 pm
Profile WWW

No, you said nothing wrong, keep em coming. Point is, that would still be an instant 50+HP with no risk of being caught off guard, lol.

Don't worry. Medicsurfing is a thing of the past.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:21 am

Actually I'm thinking in favor of this... but I'd do it so that it wouldn't be instant. Instead, it would bring up the selfheal 'weapon' like normal except it sends it to Fire state immediately. Even less weapon clutter.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:56 am
Profile WWW

Actually, that sounds very feasible. Better than hitting the 0 key to selfheal, getting a repairgun, then dying.

Speaking of which, maybe hand grenades should be moved to another slot, like slot 2. When I'm stealth and have to use a frag to kill a camper or breach a building, I hit slot 1 for a nade and then get a knife, fire, everybody now knows I'm there and I die.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]