View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:56 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
Battlefront or All out Battlefiend 

Post Battlefront or All out Battlefiend
My first map for AOW in Battlefield style, idea based on BF5.pk3. It's called "Battlefront" ;)
Note:map replaces MAP01

Automap: (New version)

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fm1a4pcq6x5k820

Last edited by Monsterooovich on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Post Re: Battlefront or All out Battlefiend
I like the effort put into the map but there's something pretty much wrong on the very layout:
I dunno about you but this looks like an open invitation to plasma cannon spamming for me.
The terrain is mostly flat and very, very large and very open - nobody likes to run for 1000 hours in order to reach the enemy base. Such terran is also an invitation for a massive amount of sniping.
Also, it isn't really a wise idea to have three powerup crates in the map, especially that close to bases.
It definitely needs to be shrunk and added more cover to. A more interesting theme could also do well since we've got copious amounts of grassy day-time battlefield maps..

Also yes there's missing textures - please make the maps Zandronum compatible as the next version will require it. As for the music I think it's OK, but the author of it needs to be specified.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:45 pm
Profile WWW

Dusk wrote:
Also yes there's missing textures

AH! no skulltag_data.pk3 fail

Dusk wrote:
The terrain is mostly flat and very, very large and very open - nobody likes to run for 1000 hours in order to reach the enemy base.

What? This is not really large map.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:51 pm

It's pretty big, I won't lie. They call AOW17 big, if that's any indication. It'd probably be bunched in with AOW08 and AOW17 as a "huge" map.

The fact that both bases are completely exposed to each other means lotsaspamman at each other's bases from their own bases.

There are missing textures because Zandronum's impending release will not have Skulltag_data.pk3.

I like the idea of a Battlefield-esque map but there's differences in map mechanics between Battlefield and All Out Derp.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Personally I like the idea of multiple crates. Havn't really thought about that.

Note to self: will test it later.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:25 am

First post updated.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:42 pm

Yes, map is very large. Its abount 20000x24000 units and takes about 40 seconds to run straight between bases (not counting sidepaths).

Examples of often played/selected maps are AOW02 11000x14000 units and AOW09 also of similar size. AOW15 11000x8000 units. All takes about 30 sec to run between bases where you are crossing other paths. In area they are around 1/3 of your map.

Personally I think you can take one half of your map and work further on it. As already stated it could use more stuff in the middle to prohibit spamming. I think the "ruins" or rock formations is interesting. They could make up the center of the map with crate.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Stop crying about size of the map.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 am

Are you serious

Please don't act like this is DeviantArt, you put your map here to be inspected and when everyone finds a common problem to improve on, and you say "stop bitching about it".

I won't speak for anyone else but, I won't stop pointing out potential gameplay breakers because it's my job to help drive you to improve the map good sir

Unless you want your map to be unplayed, which is my greatest concern (putting all this effort into nothing).

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Medicris wrote:
Are you serious

Please don't act like this is DeviantArt, you put your map here to be inspected and when everyone finds a common problem to improve on, and you say "stop bitching about it".

Why repeat the same thing if I already know. My map big enough for AOW, but I've seen very very large maps. :|

Medicris wrote:
I won't speak for anyone else but, I won't stop pointing out potential gameplay breakers because it's my job to help drive you to improve the map good sir

I really appreciate it.

Medicris wrote:
Unless you want your map to be unplayed, which is my greatest concern (putting all this effort into nothing).

*trollface*

Rly?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 am

Monsterooovich wrote:
Medicris wrote:
Are you serious

Why repeat the same thing if I already know. My map big enough for AOW, but I've seen very very large maps. :|

The fact that everyone repeats the same thing pretty much means everyone hates that common thing they all have about your map, which makes that certain thing the main problem, right?

Those very very lagre maps you've seen, how often were they played? Nope, not so often. Perhaps you want your map to be as equally played as those maps?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:06 am

New version available.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:38 pm

y'know, usually when you make a new version available you at least try to fix the issues pointed out

the map is still practically a straight flat open line

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:09 pm
Profile WWW

Dusk wrote:

And?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Monsterooovich wrote:
Dusk wrote:

And?

Konda wrote:
The fact that everyone repeats the same thing pretty much means everyone hates that common thing they all have about your map, which makes that certain thing the main problem, right?

Those very very lagre maps you've seen, how often were they played? Nope, not so often. Perhaps you want your map to be as equally played as those maps?

How many times do I have to repeat myself? A map whose layout is practically a straight flat open line is NOT a well layouted map. You might call it your `style` or whatever, but it's definitely NOT good gameplay.

You want this map played? Maps that are straight flat open lines are not played. If you don't... why are you even posting this here?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 pm
Profile WWW

A more indepth look at the map and some issues described, and a few positive examples

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Quote:
Bad slope #1

Software sucks.

I will do all that I can.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:23 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 17 posts ]