View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:33 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
AOW16 - Unending Pain 
:/

Post AOW16 - Unending Pain
Thread for comments on this map.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:52 am

Post Re: AOW16 - Unending Pain
I found it enjoyable. The monsters coming in randomly was a nice touch, but I haven't seen anything bigger than zombies. Maybe some Caco-variants or even a suprise lone Cyberdemon in the middlegrounds would be fun.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Uhh, there are:

Zombie Invasion (Seargents/Former Humans)
Demon Invasion (Cacos, Imps, Demons)
Nobles of Hell Invasion (Baron of Hell, Hell Knight)

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:27 pm

lawa001 wrote:
Uhh, there are:

Zombie Invasion (Seargents/Former Humans)
Demon Invasion (Cacos, Imps, Demons)
Nobles of Hell Invasion (Baron of Hell, Hell Knight)

Really? In an entire match all I ever saw was Zombie Invasions. That's... weird...

On a side note, Belphegors should be in the Nobles of Hell, Chaingunners in Zombies, and -fast Demons in the Demon Invasion :o

And I stand by my suggestion with the Cyberdemon in the big battlefield between the two bases. The teams would have to work together to beat it, but they'd also be trying to attack each other. Basically:

Pros: It will stop anyone trying to get in from that entrance to your base. Plus, it'll distract the other team.
Cons: It'll kill you if you try to get past it too.

IMO a nice spice-up to the gameplay.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Quote:
Chaingunners in Zombies

Drops Minigun or Machinegun?

I think that the admins didn't put them in b/c they would drop too many strong weps.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:15 am

Medic wrote:
On a side note, Belphegors should be in the Nobles of Hell, Chaingunners in Zombies, and -fast Demons in the Demon Invasion :o

And I stand by my suggestion with the Cyberdemon in the big battlefield between the two bases. The teams would have to work together to beat it, but they'd also be trying to attack each other. Basically:

Pros: It will stop anyone trying to get in from that entrance to your base. Plus, it'll distract the other team.

Actually Eruanna said that the main purpose of the invasions is to decorate the map with corpses and having anything stronger than the Baron would cause distraction.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:46 am
Profile WWW

arezey wrote:
Medic wrote:

Actually Eruanna said that the main purpose of the invasions is to decorate the map with corpses and having anything stronger than the Baron would cause distraction.

Oh, seriously? I thought they were just for the diistraction.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:10 am
Wy Hai Thar!

arezey pretty much mentioned the round-about reason for the invasions - they are merely for decoration - not just for corpses (though that is intended to be part of it), but for aesthetics to the map itself anyway. Consider them interactive decorations, if you will. They also were, in a way, an experiment, to see how well they would be received.

The demons are not intended to have a significant impact on gameplay, so that is why there are so few of them and why they are so weak. A moderately skilled player who knows what they're doing can make short work of a baron of hell without taking any damage whatsoever.

Yeah, they are a nice distraction though, and if you're really hurting for experience they can provide a minor boost, depending on how many you kill. And since the game behind this wad currently is, well, Doom, I figured it'd be nice to add a touch of "Doom" into the wad, and hence, this map, and the hellspawn invasions.

This is also why Cyberdemons or chaingunners won't be added to the map anytime soon. :)

Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:20 am

The only issue with it is, the monsters trigger the Obelisk to fire and you never know if it's a person coming in or just some monster being shot at.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:44 am

Why is this map so often voted away?

Its so often voted away like AOW05 but even more often.

I dont understand this.

Why? WTF is bad on this map??

imo it is one of the good maps together with AOW04 and so on...

Instead you vote this away to AOW06 / AOW07 -.-

Ingame nobody could answer me a reason what is so bad on this map. Maybe you can do it here. Because I dont understand it at all...

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

The only reason I've heard in-game is that they don't seem to like Hell. :/

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:17 pm
Profile WWW

The only reason I heard is the usual "OMG this map, *VOTE NOW* *VOTE PASSED* 6 'YES' votes against 1 'NO' vote"
I never played AOW16 completely during a game. In fact in the middle of the game I always see some people raging like "F** this *DISCONNECTED*" and the most of the time there's a vote call.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:58 pm
MrWhite

I agree, this is one of the better maps out there. I think the monsters are a great touch, and can help some of the defense classes get a bit of xp. I also really appreciate that the tib is not as vulnerable to the predictable charge that always happens shutting down one teams farming and sets the pace of the game.

I am so sick of AOW06 and everyone changing to that map. Like last night, I was having a nice enjoyable game which was started because a few of us didn't want to play in the AOW06 game that was going on. I'm not sure which map we were on because it never gets played (I think I've only played it once before). We were well into the game when a couple of hotshots joined from the other match (after it ended) and switched our map to AOW06. I admit I raged, but felt it was justified. Sorry for the off topic drift.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Even Marchenoir doesnt like that map as I saw in the past.

Its not understandable for me :?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
hnnnnnnnnng

MrWhite wrote:
I agree, this is one of the better maps out there. I think the monsters are a great touch, and can help some of the defense classes get a bit of xp. I also really appreciate that the tib is not as vulnerable to the predictable charge that always happens shutting down one teams farming and sets the pace of the game.

I am so sick of AOW06 and everyone changing to that map. Like last night, I was having a nice enjoyable game which was started because a few of us didn't want to play in the AOW06 game that was going on. I'm not sure which map we were on because it never gets played (I think I've only played it once before). We were well into the game when a couple of hotshots joined from the other match (after it ended) and switched our map to AOW06. I admit I raged, but felt it was justified. Sorry for the off topic drift.

Kick them 8-)

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:48 pm
Some L00nt!ck

In my opinion a little too open and the layout is not very special, and no height variation whatsoever aswell. The secondary enterance could involve some cliffs and stuff, and be less open and wide. But then again, its probably because many AOW players usually want to stick with the maps they know and not play other maps that don't look excellent on a first impression.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:48 pm

Its open on the main entrance, but not that tunnel behind Barracks. I go everytime through the tunnel^^.

Next advantage of tunnel is I'm at the opposite of the obelisk.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

i love this ma, its made it into one of my favorites

P.S. my fave maps are
aow04
aow09
aow12
aow16

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:23 am

I might as well mention that I think this is a good level. I like the use of the Doom monsters, and framerate-wise it runs pretty speedy.

My only gripe is that it is too easy to mech rush the barracks since it is right smack in front of the tunnel. I wonder if placing the barracks on the side and putting the obelisk in the center would make things better? That way things coming down the tunnel would have to deal with the obelisk first.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:10 pm
Used to be Stalin

You just have to be more creative with your defense.

Quote:
<Mobius>It's a pity Stalin can't use his rage as fuel
<Mobius>He could fly to the moon with it

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:04 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next