View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Sniper is OP 

Post Sniper is OP
Really now, the past five or six games, it seems that on most maps, there is often 3-4 snipers on each team, pretty much having the game still reduced to camp vs. camp. Sure, a sniper has counters, right? Well, let's see...

The typical sniper in games...

... is a powerful threat at a range, but is highly vulnerable and clumsy in close combat.
... has lower mobility and health in class-based games like this one. Even CoD, ffs.
... is vulnerable to ambush.
... is best played roaming around the battlefield behind his team's combat classes and is less effective camping a single spot.

The Sniper in All Out War is (sadly)...

... Is powerful and suppressive of any other unit under any range, and with the same skills from rifle/gauss/laser applied, can be used as more or less a no-spread SSG in function.
... Is more mobile than most classes and has average armor.
... Can simply outrun and outgun any ambusher, firing his perfectly accurate, high-damage rifle while backpedaling away from any attacker, like a stealth.
... Achieves best results when setting up camp and firing from one spot.

We can go about helping this class in a few ways.

Option 1. Make the sniper move slower when scoped. This makes him prey for a stealth's knife, which would naturally seem to be a natural counter anyways.
Option 2. Make his rifle do less damage or spread when unscoped. Thoughts?
Option 3. Have the class spawn with the same armor as a Stealth, since you know, they're both assassin classes.
Option 4. Slow that class down, why is he faster than everyone else anyways?

Or all of the above, idk. Go.

P.S. Gatling is rofl, MG outperforms it pointblank

P.P.S. I remember what Eruanna said about how nerfing everything makes the game unfun, so I don't wanna take this too far. Just FYI.

Last edited by atac on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:10 am
Sir Cameron McMackington III, Esq.

Post Re: Sniper is OP
Vapor trails are an idea that can definitely be brought back up. They were taken out, but in light of recent changes in class tallies, it might be wise to pop that back in.

Sniper rounds should do less damage unscoped. Ambushes should be a hard-counter to snipers, not a moderate threat.

Price increase may also be in order. 1100 was the old Stealth Sniper price. Seems reasonable now.

A decrease in armor value or a flat health decrease may be in order. This can be applied to Stealth Trooper as well.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:18 am

I myself can make the trails exist, but not be rails and not be Graphic intensive.
I can also make the sniper fire inaccurate while the player is moving and also if their class is not a sniper. If their class is a sniper, their accuracy is 1/2 but while scoped still its about 95-100% accurate. But eh, i do not think there is a way to either remove or modify the RNG for non rail/projectile attacks.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 am
Profile WWW

I like the idea of simply having it become inaccurate upon moving. Maybe even having them slow down when scoped in. Stealths with their knives could be the de facto hard counter of Snipers.

If they didn't slow down when scoped in, if I were the sniper I could easily run forward and unscope upon hearing the decloak sound, barely getting nicked by the knife or avoiding it completely. Then I'd just whirl around and snipe the guy pointblank where the spread wouldn't matter.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:39 am

The knife needs more backstabbing ability.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:57 am
Profile WWW

Well, true enough. Instead of massive damage and getting facestabbed all the time and chased around by super speedy knives, knife needs double damage against backs.

Only you'd probably have to decloak fully before you can swipe instead of rofl invisible uncounterable instadeath

Also, paletteswap disguises

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:42 am

I called it. :P

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:50 am

I suppose the severity of spam really depends more or less on the map, since small maps seem to have much more mech and variety of class use than large maps, which degenerate into said 4-man sniper squadron wars.

Either way, in the words of Eric: "balance issues with all other weapons are miniscule compared to the sniper rifle".

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:28 pm
eltiT motsuC

The sniper was op even before this update, it was able to deal high dps compared to most classes. The reason its getting overused now is because the sniper rifle is one of two weapons with a zoom function (and the only one that most would expect to have a zoom), the laser chaingunner is nowhere near as popular as the sniper.

That being said, the damage should not be decreased. More so, the sniper rifle should be more difficult to aim with, kinda similar to how tactical doom used sniping weapons.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:26 am
AKA Dardyn

Or make players move faster so that snipers would have a hard time aiming at them but that is for another discussion.

On Topic
Personally I would disagree with #2 mostly since I love to showoff with noscoping people.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 am

Keep Zoom, decrease speed a bit, give it Stealth armor, price 1100, and spread during no-scoping to prevent these close range kills shit.

Also, backstabbing, YES! that'd give the stealth more usefulness in taking out those campers, a single blow to the back can do the trick

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

Music project back up : Needing a new host.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:46 am
eltiT motsuC

-=Dark-Slayer=- wrote:
But eh, i do not think there is a way to either remove or modify the RNG for non rail/projectile attacks.

As of 98d, there isn't any way to remove it. The closest alternative would be to use A_Explode on a puff with a very small explosive radius. Something like this:
Code:
TNT1 A 0 A_Explode (75, 1, 0)

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 am

Popsoap wrote:
-=Dark-Slayer=- wrote:
But eh, i do not think there is a way to either remove or modify the RNG for non rail/projectile attacks.

As of 98d, there isn't any way to remove it. The closest alternative would be to use A_Explode on a puff with a very small explosive radius. Something like this:
Code:
TNT1 A 0 A_Explode (75, 1, 0)

I don't see that exactly working the way i'd like to. Also completely defeats Unlagged.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:46 pm
Profile WWW

Why? It's still a hitscan.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Because the A_Explode will not be unlagged thus your hitscan shots will hit, but the puffs will not damage the moving targets as it will miss due to ping.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:05 am
Profile WWW

this is far too true for any of you to imagine

you don't even knoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

dusk and i agreed to make non-scoped sniper fire an inaccurate hitscan that does one third of the scoped damage as well as decrease the zoom on the scope, should at least fix the point-blank sniping crap

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:41 am

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

Music project back up : Needing a new host.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:22 am
adad

So interesting article like to read this,, i was thinking about this sniper OP first time to heard this,
And i was welling to be part of this game just to get more idea about your weapons.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:55 am
Profile YIM

Yeah the sniper was OP... but that was 4 years ago (if you look at the year the thread was posted on) before it got nerfed.
Damn, time flies.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]