View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
wrong damage 

Post wrong damage
There are many weapons with too low damage, best example are rockets.

SSG is one hit kill, thats realistic. If you compare SSG with rockets, it is like bad joke.
There were good old times when for example massdriver was one hit kill at game start, that was ok but somehow its damage was lowered.
I guess there were people complaining about its damage. Now it should be time to nerf SSG. Or are you big fans of SSG-only deathmatch?

Now for real, do not lower SSG damage, raise damage of other weapons so they are more real like SSG is.
I know today "doom" comunity uses SSG as a main weapon, but that should not make it exception in damage changes in aow2.

I played aow since aow1, and i see it is getting worse and worse, with damage.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:08 am

Post Re: wrong damage
I suppose you have a point. Having player be more vulnerable as a whole is a goal of mine personally, even if I'm just a tester. The whole "human tank" gameplay with being able to eat a surreal amount of bullets, then getting bludgeoned, burned, contaminated, and surviving several explosions without dying is sometimes.... well, yeah. I think damage as a whole should just be upped a tad.

<Scizor300>Yeah, I think a lower ammo count and a bit higher damage across the board sounds good

However, there's two problems with that. One, there's a LOT of code rewriting involved. Two, guns might have to be rebalanced again. It's not as simple as just mathematically scaling all damage to 120%.

Also, kgsws, the damage is mostly modeled after Command and Conquer, where explosives aren't effective on infantry, and bullets are not effective on armored units. That's why rockets and massdrivers don't do as much damage to infantry as they do to mechs. Hell, the rocket launcher can two-hit gib people with the homing altfire, and the primary fire does almost 200 damage to a mech. The same story is for massdrivers.

And don't quite think you're the only one here who's played AOW since Voltlock first brought out the alphas. Tower Gun ftw.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 am

Realism always comes last in balance and I myself believe that just making players more vulnerable makes this mod just grindier overall - and getting rid of that has always been one of my main goals. I believe that the fact that games are just hour-long TDMs is a far bigger problem than realism problems with damage.

SSG is too powerful IMO. It's a point-blank one-hit-killer, problem only is that it's lethal from too far away.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Dat Minigun

Ive been fighting for the rocket launcher to be buffed in splash and more damage for months :[

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]