View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:04 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
Ok, this is it. TOURNAMENT POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE 
Used to be Stalin

Post Ok, this is it. TOURNAMENT POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
In case you didn't read the topic title, the tournament is being postponed until further notice. Yes it has.

Several people have indicated to run it a lot more smoothly, put it off until the end of June. Yes, the end of June. No school to interfere, more time for organization, more time to get servers, more time for testing, etc. I AM NOT GIVING UP TOTALLY ON YOU GUYS. I believe we can still do this.

So let us do an analysis.

My thoughts
I think part of the failure had to do with the individual sign ups. Placing a bunch of random people together was bound to make a problem with time zones. I gave you guys lots of time to get familiar with each other and to make your own teams. Additionally, discontent with some of the teams could have been fixed had you followed my instructions and built your own. Also, lack of communication. I wanted feedback all the time, but a lot of guys just... disappeared and I never heard from them again.

My BIGGEST fault: scheduling. This one is pretty self explanatory; look how many times I edited the schedule. Look how badly out of chronological order it is. It was just fucked up, plain and simple. No excuses.

Another fault: Servers. I should not have been so hesitant to ask server admins. It resulted in disaster. Testing the server functions was also a failure on my behalf. Testing the tournament mode was also a failure on my behalf. I let this thing spiral out of my control and simply I could not get it back.

Another fault: Inexperience: This is my first tournament; why would it be something so big? Not a smart choice imo.

On a more positive note, the particular goal of this was to gain attention to the site, to promote it. In this, we have been mildly successful, and we can lay claim to at least that small victory. We can now focus on more of a competitive aspect.

Suggestions
Cyber suggested that I make a deadline for the matches. I concur with this.

Eric has suggested to make the matches 4 versus 4. However, I personally think that is too small. All intensity would be gone.

Another player suggested bigger teams. This could do. However, limits would have to be set on weapons such as Plasma Cannon, Time cop, Heavy Mechs... all the good stuff.

Lenin has suggested that subs MUST be organized, cannot be on the fly, and the tournament organizers should be notified at least a full 24 hours prior. I agree with this.
He has also suggested that an organizer (or two) should be present for every match. I agree with this. Unfortunately as a result of my scheduling I wasn't around for the matches. This coincides with my suggestion.

My suggestion is more organizers. It would run a lot smoother with more organizers.

I am open to hearing more critiques and suggestions; please, I would love to hear them, whether posted here or via pm.

Credits for what has been done thus far

Special thanks to:
Eruanna: For making that tournament build.
Omega2: For giving us a server (Omega).
AlexMax: For giving us a server (Funcrusher).
Lenin: For helping me "run" this shit.

Thanks to
Everyone who signed up and put up with my bullshit.

And of course, the people who run this site and allowed us to run this thing at all, and to everyone else who gave me support.

Let's try again, in a more organized fashion D:

Sorry to disappoint,

Stalin

Quote:
<Mobius>It's a pity Stalin can't use his rage as fuel
<Mobius>He could fly to the moon with it

Last edited by Decay on Sun May 16, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 16, 2010 1:47 am
:/

Post Re: Ok, this is it. TOURNAMENT POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTIC
GASP. What about the match that already finished.

Sun May 16, 2010 4:01 am

Actually I suggested that we have a deadline, not a set time (seeing as how that is what we have right now)

Cyber's Mediafire Stash: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2696c142fb786735ab1eab3e9fa335ca16e1e3ea928c1b46

Code:
Riding the Wave is Skeith, the Shadow of Death, to drown all that stands.
Mirage of Deceit, Innis, Betray all with the flawed image, and did aid the Wave

Sun May 16, 2010 7:44 am
Profile WWW

I'll just honestly and straightly say here that postponing the tournament is the best - the only - thing to do right now.

How about making a roster where individual users may sign up? They'd give their nick, in-game nick and the timezone they are in. And from such a roster it would be possible to assign better teams. Just a thought.

Sun May 16, 2010 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Some L00nt!ck

Dont worry. You tried to organise a tournament, but it didnt go well... The important thing is that you learn from those mistakes and re-arrange a tournament with better organisation and scheduleing. Also it is already a very important achievement if this site got more recognition and more people support.
I will Re apply to the tournament again, and keep supporting it. ;)

Lets hope next time this turns into a more successful tournament;

Rifleman

Sun May 16, 2010 2:15 pm
Wy Hai Thar!

As always, better luck next time. I am disappointed things turned out this way, but hopefully next time things will be better. :)

Sun May 16, 2010 2:22 pm
Used to be Stalin

Cyberimp666 wrote:
Actually I suggested that we have a deadline, not a set time (seeing as how that is what we have right now)
Oops. Edited.

lawa001 wrote:
GASP. What about the match that already finished.
Dude, it was pretty lol-worthy. Seriously, ask anyone who played.

arezey wrote:
I'll just honestly and straightly say here that postponing the tournament is the best - the only - thing to do right now.

How about making a roster where individual users may sign up? They'd give their nick, in-game nick and the timezone they are in. And from such a roster it would be possible to assign better teams. Just a thought.
So are you saying let all the individuals sign up in one big roster, then put the individuals with similar timezones on team? That would work much much better.

'RifleMan wrote:
Dont worry. You tried to organise a tournament, but it didnt go well... The important thing is that you learn from those mistakes and re-arrange a tournament with better organisation and scheduleing. Also it is already a very important achievement if this site got more recognition and more people support.
I will Re apply to the tournament again, and keep supporting it. ;)
I have learned; definitely important. I will keep trying, because I am positive a successful tournament is a possibility (maybe I'll promote it at the skulltag site [god forbid]). I'll give it thought, then I will write up some rules and shit in a document for later posting.

Eruanna wrote:
As always, better luck next time. I am disappointed things turned out this way, but hopefully next time things will be better. :)
I am disappointed too, but with so many complaints and no shows, I feel that this is just the right thing to do. Hopefully the AOW fad doesn't die by the time we get this rolling again!

Quote:

Sun May 16, 2010 2:52 pm

Organising and good planning come with experience. The person who never made a mistake never made anything. When Sir Frank Whittle invented the jet engine, his first few engines weren't as good as his later ones. When Astronomer Royal, Sir Isaac Newton, invented gravity, his first attempts weren't perfect and people still tended to float away from the earth. Eventually, he got it right and gravity sucked.

Stalin's planning will get better.

Many of the AOW2 players who try to bully their own team also have a lot to learn about management and the best way of phrasing things so that firstly it doesn't annoy players and secondly, so that players are more likely to do what is suggested.

Mon May 17, 2010 12:28 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
Omega2_ wrote:
When Astronomer Royal, Sir Isaac Newton, invented gravity, his first attempts weren't perfect and people still tended to float away from the earth. Eventually, he got it right and gravity sucked.
Quote:

I get what you're trying to say but I still must say, WHAT?! when did people float away from the earth? and the more correct use of wording would be discovered, gravity was always around no one invented it....

Mon May 17, 2010 3:13 am
Wy Hai Thar!

I think that was a joke...

Mon May 17, 2010 6:31 am

I don't get it then

Mon May 17, 2010 2:16 pm

I also thought it was a joke, but if it has to be explained, obviously not a good one.

Mon May 17, 2010 6:09 pm
Profile WWW

Well I lol'd pretty hard.

Mon May 17, 2010 6:21 pm

It was funny for me too. But I think this is getting a little off-topic. :P

Mon May 17, 2010 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Used to be Stalin

Back on topic...

Since I want the next attempt to be a success, I'm starting my planning today. PMs will be going out to people with requests, wanting opinions, questions, etc, and I will be writing up some drafts of dates, rules, and tournament style TODAY. I just started working again so expect something up by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest :)

If you have ideas, send them to me; I am interested and willing to hear your opinion!

Stalin

Quote:

Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm

The largest problems are caused by players and the world's 24 time zones. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Try to please many players most of the time. Substitute players are a good concept if the scheduled tournament games are at a silly time of day in some time zones or simply inconvenient to some players.

If the initial times and dates of the tournament games are published early enough, it may be possible to get feedback from every player to confirm if he / she / it is likely to be able to play at that time or if a substitute player can make it or not.

If scheduled players and substitute players don't connect at the scheduled tournament times, it may be worth considering any available player to be allowed to play that tournament game so that it is some sort of success. The problem would be that those players won't know the server connection password or the server will have to be reset without a password.

Something to think about.

Mon May 17, 2010 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Used to be Stalin

Following Arezey's suggestion, what I intended to do was to have teams with people no more than 3 hours apart from each other, unless they make their own teams, which they would under the assumption that they are ready to play at a given time. By doing this, I can make the scheduling a hell of a lot easier.

This means I will not be posting any times. But I need to build on this idea of a deadline. Care to expand on this for me, Cyber? However, I will be posting the dates with everything else.

Quote:

Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 pm

So Stalin, will the tournament be reset and postponed, or just the latest?

Tue May 18, 2010 3:04 am
Used to be Stalin

NeoRagnarokX wrote:
So Stalin, will the tournament be reset and postponed, or just the latest?
Please clarify; I honestly can't understand what you are trying to convey. Do you mean we are starting from scratch? No, not really. However...

People are absolutely free to break up their teams, or stay with them; however, if you choose to stay together, understand that it is up to you guys to work out your time zoning issues. I might make the teams bigger, but I really doubt it, and if I do it will only be an extra 2 people per team.

Quote:

Tue May 18, 2010 8:33 pm
Used to be Stalin

I know I said I was going to post up the new stuff today at the latest, but working took a greater toll on my energy than anticipated, along with other things that need to be done. Sorry! I will get it up as soon as I can.

Quote:

Fri May 21, 2010 2:26 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 20 posts ]