All Out War 2
http://aow2.drdteam.org/forum/

Getting a "tournament build" ready
http://aow2.drdteam.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Eruanna [ Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Getting a "tournament build" ready

Stalin / Lenin:

I am in the process of making a special tournament build for you guys. So far, it has all the most recent bug fixes, plus one extra server variable: aow_tournamentmode - when set to 1, it disables iron curtain crate, kamikaze, and Juggs if mechs are disabled.

Is there anything else you would like for this build? Would you want to use such a build?

Author:  Decay [ Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

First off, that sounds fantastic. That is extremely helpful and I am quite grateful. This will be used for sure.

As for request: When sudden death goes into play I would rather not everyone get a beacon if that is something in the build.

Thanks a lot!

Author:  Eruanna [ Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

Done.

Author:  Vindicator [ Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

I would first like to point out how grateful Stalin and I are, this is very helpful and you're very kind to do this for the tournament. It makes us very happy to see such great support from players and admins alike, we are sure this tournament will be a success and hopefully there will be many more to follow.

Once again thank you,
Lenin

Author:  Eruanna [ Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

Not a problem. :)

Okay - just so you know, this is what I have so far:

Enabling tournament mode (rcon aow_tournamentmode 1) changes the game in the following ways:
  • You do not get a free beacon on sudden death any longer
  • You will no longer get an iron curtain crate
  • You will no longer get a kamikaze crate
  • If mechs are enabled, you can still get a Juggernaut crate - however, if mechs are turned off, then Juggernaut crates are also no longer available.

There is also another new command - "rcon aow_disablemechs 1" - this only affects the beginning of a map (mechs are still controlled dynamically through aow_mechs) - but if this is turned on, mechs will no longer be turned on at the map start.

Lastly, I created a batch alias "rcon TournamentMode" - It does the following:
  • Turns on Tournament Mode as detailed above
  • Sets the ticket pool to 40
  • Sets the Sudden Death time to 30 minutes
  • Limits plasma cannons to 1 per team (still bypassable with drops and crates)
  • Limits Juggernauts to 1 per team
  • Reminds you to restart the map for all settings to take effect

I should have it available for you later today.

Author:  Revolt! [ Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

can we please use this after the tournament? i love the sound of 30 mins then SD. i start getting bored after 30 mins anyway.. and i think it would reduce ragequits if the map will end quicker. :) also, i think some kind of build/mod should be made allowing people to pick teams, which would be great for clans and we could keep teams after the tournament and have a leader board and stuff. i think it would make it a bit more interesting cause atm it seems to be rather pointless, just playing over and over, no-one keeping score. just a thought. the build sounds good, kudos to whoever did it. Revolt!

Author:  Dusk [ Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

Revolt! wrote:
can we please use this after the tournament? i love the sound of 30 mins then SD. i start getting bored after 30 mins anyway.. and i think it would reduce ragequits if the map will end quicker. :)

That was always an option. It's just never used these days.. though I'd personally want the 30 minutes before sudden death return.

Revolt! wrote:
also, i think some kind of build/mod should be made allowing people to pick teams, which would be great for clans and we could keep teams after the tournament and have a leader board and stuff. i think it would make it a bit more interesting cause atm it seems to be rather pointless, just playing over and over, no-one keeping score. just a thought. the build sounds good, kudos to whoever did it. Revolt!

I disagree... random teams give more variety. Variety prevents boredom.

Author:  Decay [ Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

Actually, being put on a team is a server thing I think. I did not adjust anything in my server to allow people to choose their team.

Keeping these teams after the tournament depends on the success of it; cuz I have a surprise for you all if it is successful :)

Author:  Michelle [ Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

The tournament build is a great idea! and the simplified commands will make life easier for admins.

Author:  Revolt! [ Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

arezey wrote:
I disagree... random teams give more variety. Variety prevents boredom.


good point now i think about it, but i think we should look into possibly carrying this tournament on after, or something like that.. with monthly battles between teams and have leader boards from that or something.. just a thought. Revolt!

Author:  Decay [ Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

Revolt! wrote:
arezey wrote:
I disagree... random teams give more variety. Variety prevents boredom.


good point now i think about it, but i think we should look into possibly carrying this tournament on after, or something like that.. with monthly battles between teams and have leader boards from that or something.. just a thought. Revolt!
AKA a league, which I considered and threw out there casually, but I didn't get any feedback on it.

Author:  Vindicator [ Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

I agree with revolt and stalin i think that a league would make AOW a lot more interesting and the leaderboard could be run through the forums, just a thought...

Author:  Eruanna [ Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

I don't know of a whole lot of software that can be used for tracking leagues, so unless we can find some it will probably have to be manually tracked through the forums. However, I can give you a lot of formatting bbcodes that should help.

Author:  Vindicator [ Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

I'm sure it wouldn't be all that hard to run a league manually through the forums with the help of some players. I think this tournament will be a good depiction on whether the players of AOW will be committed to a league.

Author:  Decay [ Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

Lenin wrote:
I agree with revolt and stalin i think that a league would make AOW a lot more interesting and the leaderboard could be run through the forums, just a thought...
Well, I can put it to the people, find out what they think... I'll post up a format proposal and see if that gets any support.

Eruanna wrote:
I don't know of a whole lot of software that can be used for tracking leagues, so unless we can find some it will probably have to be manually tracked through the forums. However, I can give you a lot of formatting bbcodes that should help.
Software for tracking leagues? I didn't even know it existed.... And as always, anything is helpful and I appreciate any help.

Personally, I would like to have a league, but I do have a few concerns.

Decline in Interest
It will die, that's for damn sure. Just how long? I don't know.

Quitters
I don't want people to dismantle their teams because they lost a couple matches. Raging at teammates, etc.

Commitment
We all have things to do. I don't know how long something like this should be stretched out. Assuming a base of 2 servers, should it be a weekly based thing or have sporadic matches throughout the month?

That being said, there are multiple benefits to a league...

Teamwork will improve
Huge. I guarantee if people stuck with a league and stuck with a team their AOW skill, general Doom skill, and general teamwork skill will drastically increase.

Face the teams more than once
Problem I can foresee with a tournament is that some people may rave omfg im better than yuo we killed yuor team ololol based on a single win. League provides opportunity to play the same team at various maps.

Beats the shit out of normal public games
Really, organized public games are a deviant in regards to amount of public games played. Organized games are actually the best, so this would be good. Following this, those who are part of this start organizing stuff in normal public games, thus making those shitty games better...

Of course, there is more, but I need to get a feel for response for this.

Author:  Vindicator [ Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

I agree with most of what you said Stalin except for the decline part, however it is a possiblity we can't know that for a fact unless we try it and I'm sure it will be fun for as long as it lasts as you said throught some of your points. Also, I think in order to run a league we would need some more help from other players rather than just you and I. Bottom line is we need to wait for this tournament to happen,see how that goes and from there talk about a league. If this tournament doesn't go as planned theres no way a league would work. Just my thoughts

Lenin

Author:  Decay [ Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

Lenin wrote:
I agree with most of what you said Stalin except for the decline part, however it is a possiblity we can't know that for a fact unless we try it and I'm sure it will be fun for as long as it lasts as you said throught some of your points. Also, I think in order to run a league we would need some more help from other players rather than just you and I. Bottom line is we need to wait for this tournament to happen,see how that goes and from there talk about a league. If this tournament doesn't go as planned theres no way a league would work. Just my thoughts

Lenin
But is it the bottom line? If people are not satisfied with the teams (and I know some are not), a league would need to build separate teams, if people even wanted to bother.

Author:  Revolt! [ Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

I dont know who this is really aimed at because i seriously cant be bothered to scroll up (lonnnnngggggggg day)
but anyway..
i'm sure someone may have mentioned people not being happy with teams or something, or someone will inevitably say something
well..
how about if we had some kind of transfer period, like football - so depending on how well it seems to be going and how much interest it gets (if we start a league) we could have one month a year when teams can swap/change members. i know this is being very optimistic as we don't even know how well this will go, but i think if we would be looking at making this a long term thing then we should seriously think about how teams could change members, because if we don't it could just turn into a big sloppy mess of Doom.
Revolt!

Author:  Vindicator [ Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

I must say that that sounds like a really good idea to me, it could make the game a lot more interesting and I think most players would enjoy an organized league and ability to trade players would help teams that aren't as skilled get better players, maybe even be allowed to "sign" players that aren't officially in the league should be allowed as well, again assuming such a league can be run

Author:  Revolt! [ Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Getting a "tournament build" ready

yeah, i really think this depends on how well the tourny goes. a league would also possibly generate more interest in aow from the people who dont like it because of the lack of teams/clans etc. but again, this all depends on the tournament.
Revolt!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/