View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
Previous tournament rules 

Post Previous tournament rules
i vote for infected. always.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 am
Used to be Stalin

Post Re: Tournament Rules
*******Due to new build and an oversight, I have slightly edited the rules regarding the agreeable no mechs and no iron curtain crates. Please look over them again

Quote:
<Mobius>It's a pity Stalin can't use his rage as fuel
<Mobius>He could fly to the moon with it

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Just asking (I'm for AOW02), what's wrong with AOW11?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Used to be Stalin

For 5 people, it is way too big for a proper defense system. People slide in easily enough when it has substantially more people in the server. I'm trying to keep it pretty focused. Infected I chose to include even though it is fair size, but it is level for the most part, and easier (imo) to set up turrets without having to go really out of your way to check. If there were no side entrances in AOW11 it would be on the selection list.

Quote:

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:36 pm
Wy Hai Thar!

In my opinion, AOW11 would have been quite acceptable if the side enterances were easy to get to and guard. Unfortunately, the way they are currently, they give the attacking team a huge advantage. I can't speak for Stalin or Lenin on this, but my guess is, this had something to do with its rejection for the tournament.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:39 pm
Used to be Stalin

Exactly. I slip through the "defenses" put up there very easily. The only effective way to guard the sides is to have utility defenses PLUS having someone up there. When you only have 5 people on a team, you can't really spare bodies like that.

Quote:

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Id like to suggest another rule. Sometimes spectators will coach teams where stealth players are or where becons are placed. This should be banned as it totally spoils the game. No spectator spies please!

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 am

IMO, Infected is a terrible choice for a map. Looking at both bases reveals that Blue is at a severe disadvantage due to lack of space and areas to mount turrets.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:03 am
Used to be Stalin

Michelle wrote:
Id like to suggest another rule. Sometimes spectators will coach teams where stealth players are or where becons are placed. This should be banned as it totally spoils the game. No spectator spies please!
I think as a server you can silence spectators, which I already intended to do.

Mr. Freeze wrote:
IMO, Infected is a terrible choice for a map. Looking at both bases reveals that Blue is at a severe disadvantage due to lack of space and areas to mount turrets.
Well, when I was searching for maps, I was asking the opinions of the players. A lot said All Out War and Barrens were fair to play at, but they don't like playing there. Infected seems to be a player favourite, so I wanted to at least include a map that people actually ENJOY playing at. As for lack of space to mount turrets, blue has narrow hallways; much easier to defend than the slimy red base area. It is (imo) an equal trade off.

Quote:

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:05 pm
Used to be Stalin

*edited first post*

Quote:

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:38 pm

proposal:
ABSOLUTELY NO !@%^&* LLAMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:31 am

Where's the problem in the rules? Anything important you've taken out like mechs/kamikaze is a variable under agreeable rules. Either you both agree to use something or you don't get it. Seems simple to me. Really, what are the actual complaints over the rules? I want my spam allowed? lol

Mr. Freeze wrote:

Blue has the advantage if anyone. The red obelisk is much easier to get to. It's further from the actual base, much much easier to get to without taking a hit from it and easier to avoid whilst still being able to shoot the base with mechs. Blue one has the crates in the way, and it's a simple case of blocking with one sandbag and no one can get in without being shot at least once until they remove it. Wide open space != better for defence; there's more room to hide in and evade and shoot spam at from campers from further away. Blue is so cramped compared to red that 5 turrets cover more of the base compared to red and they have more sides mechs can come from as compared to blue. Red can "see" into the field further than blue but given that the blue base is more concentrated, it takes less to defend, freeing up resources to put further down the map when red can't spare as many because they have more ground to cover.

Ahh, but turrets aren't all there is to defence. Go armoured tiberium harvester. You can very easily take on 8+ LRM turrets for a fair amount of time whilst your buddy just runs past them or go time cop and dash from cover to cover and they wont even touch you. Or even a medic/utility guy can just repair-and-go against turrets and come out the other side without a scratch. Basing a "disadvantage" purely on space to place turrets isn't too wise. I prefer defending the blue base to red on infected because the obelisk is a lot more helpful and if you lose it, it's much easier to defend internally because players have to get so much closer to it to attack it.

In the end, it's whether your team can work out these "flaws" in the map to their advantage or not. Which reminds me: how are we going to decide who goes red and who goes blue? There's "advantages" or "disadvantages" to being either.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:25 am
Used to be Stalin

I should a) standardize the rules
b) let people place beacons on the terminals
c) allow kamikaze to destroy buildings

Basically, with the exception of plasma limit and 1 "heavy mech" limit, let it go like it was public game.

Quote:

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:03 pm

OK I don't know who has been complaining about the rules to you, but you need to let them know that those are the rules for a reason, there is nothing wrong with them they shouldn't be changed and you should only take good suggestions that would make the game more fair rather than suggestions that are trying to make it like a public game spammfest.

Lenin

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:51 pm

There is also the issue of sniper spam. I know alot of players like this class....I do as well.... but having 3 snipers on a team of 5 can totally spoil the game as the enemy is often pinned down and sometimes killed as they emerge from buildings.This isnt really a tactic and takes hardly any skill. Sniper spam is a major course of ragequits. Shouldnt sniper rifles and timecops be limited to 1 of each per team?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:19 am
Used to be Stalin

I have no idea how to limit that if it is even possible, other than spectator enforcement, which probably wouldn't go very far.

Quote:

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:04 pm

I would actually have to disagree with you michelle, sniping is somewhat of a tactic and if you think it's easy to snipe then that can only be because you like the class and have developed a skill for sniping. There are many people who have never even thought of touching the sniping class because it's too hard for them thus why it's not the most popular weapon, yes there are a lot of snipers in general in AOW but in-game you won't find more than 3 at a time. Same goes for time cop, Stalin and I actually discussed a limit on time cop but I argued that even though there's some people that are really good with it, there are also some people that are terrible with it (me) I don't think I have gotten a single kill with time cop therefore I never use it. It's a matter of what gun a player is good with, sniper and time cop are just another class, used for different tactics I don't think there is any reason for a limit.

Lenin

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Lenin wrote:
I would actually have to disagree with you michelle, sniping is somewhat of a tactic and if you think it's easy to snipe then that can only be because you like the class and have developed a skill for sniping. There are many people who have never even thought of touching the sniping class because it's too hard for them thus why it's not the most popular weapon, yes there are a lot of snipers in general in AOW but in-game you won't find more than 3 at a time. Same goes for time cop, Stalin and I actually discussed a limit on time cop but I argued that even though there's some people that are really good with it, there are also some people that are terrible with it (me) I don't think I have gotten a single kill with time cop therefore I never use it. It's a matter of what gun a player is good with, sniper and time cop are just another class, used for different tactics I don't think there is any reason for a limit.

Lenin

Valid points there Lenin. You are right. I think that there should be at least 1 competant sniper on every team then, if there isnt then, peeps need to get practicing because they could be up againt 5 skilled timecops! I myself, rarely use the sniper rifle as I find crouching in a corner and making people ragequit quite boring. But each to her/his own! I mostly use the snipe and timegun to take out turrets from afar. I take back my suggestion for a limit on snipers and timecops and pray that Rifleman cant play for some reason on the day we have our heat. :)

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:17 pm
Used to be Stalin

Rules have been edited and hopefully they will be final. I am dealing with the dates now, and match ups have been set.

Quote:

Mon May 03, 2010 11:48 pm
Wy Hai Thar!

When you have your dates set, I might be able to get an even newer build for you guys. But I can't promise anything at the moment.

Tue May 04, 2010 5:37 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 20 posts ]