View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:08 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Tournament? 
Used to be Stalin

Post Tournament?
For promoting the site perhaps? Tournaments are nice I suppose.

Details to be worked out, this is merely a proposal.
I purpose a simple round-robin kind of play. I figure have about 4-6 teams, consisting of 5 people per team. Have 2 subs, though they may be from any team except the opposing team.
1 round will be played. Map to be predetermined and consistent. Time limit of 30 minutes until ticket mode goes into effect.
People can go ahead and ragequit, but they are only letting their team down. Servers to have 10 slots. If people ragequit, a sub may jump in if they are available. I will not force someone to spectate and lose their credits to "equal" out the teams.
There is no prize for the winners; this is intended to be fun and promotional.

For site promotion: People who wish to participate in this must sign up here. Even if they don't stay, it brings more awareness to the sites existence.

Does this have any support?

Quote:
<Mobius>It's a pity Stalin can't use his rage as fuel
<Mobius>He could fly to the moon with it

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:08 am
Wy Hai Thar!

Post Re: Tournament?
I'd support it, if you could get it working.

Unfortunately, the bread and mold of AOW players typically do not have much organization - though the ones that have already come to this site have taken a huge step in the right direction.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:51 pm
john madden

In my opinion, it COULD work kind of like an RTS game.

You have your workers [Engis and Harvesters], your troops, your (rather poorly done) vehicles, etc. Now if only custom buildings could be done :V

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:03 pm
Used to be Stalin

Eruanna wrote:
I'd support it, if you could get it working.

Unfortunately, the bread and mold of AOW players typically do not have much organization - though the ones that have already come to this site have taken a huge step in the right direction.
I was figuring if people made up their own team of 5, it would be an effective one; some people communicate more than others.If the players are familiar with each other, it has the chance of actually being a good game.

NotWartornNoSir wrote:
In my opinion, it COULD work kind of like an RTS game.

You have your workers [Engis and Harvesters], your troops, your (rather poorly done) vehicles, etc. Now if only custom buildings could be done :V
I was thinking essentially 1 utility man for repair and defense structure, 1 defensive person, 2 main attackers, and the 5th either a harvester until they get tired of it or a sort of mid-fielder/attacker. It depends on the map selected. Some areas require more defense men than others, for example, playing on Island would be out of the question because of all the space to cover just at your base.

Quote:

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:46 pm

I support the idea of a tournament, where do I sign up.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:16 pm
Used to be Stalin

I have to consider a couple of things before I put up any sign ups. I know the game is meant to include mechs, but I don't want this to become a bitch-fest about mech spam. I have to investigate which maps would be suitable for this, like I said Island would be out of the question due to the sheer size. Canyon likely would be a bad decision, because of the ability to destroy the opponent's war factory from your own, and that particular map can be over very quickly in the first mad rush. There will be some massive disorganization in the first couple of minutes while people join and try to get on the right team (unless there is a team choosing option that can be enabled).

Also, time and dates would be a good idea to work out. If I have more servers co-operating with this, no reason it can't be done in a weekend, depending how many teams are made. But people have lives too. I understand that people have school or work, or live in drastically different time zones.

This might turn into more of a league that runs until 1 team reaches X amount of points, based on 1 point per win.

Quote:

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:32 pm
Used to be Stalin

~NOTE: If anyone is wondering if this will happen, it will, I'm just getting some issues worked out regarding servers and what map will be selected~

Quote:

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Its a good idea, all players have different strengths and a team should be made up of a mixed bunch of players. I tend to be ok at sneaking into bases and blowing up buildings but not so good at getting frags. Im ok with a util gun as well and can be accused of spamming turrets in creative places on occasion. As for the worry about maps being over in the first rush because of confusion with players joining.Tournament Rules are the answer: a time period for players to join and get weapons, some tyberium could also be havested in this period. The clever team will all instantly go harvester and mass a fair pile of credits to use when the game starts proper. I used to play C&C link game on ps1 with my brother. There was a rule against fighting for 10mins while the base got built and ore was harvested. It made for a fairer game.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 pm
Used to be Stalin

Since I only want things to go so long, I wouldn't have a grace period for building (I know I told you, posting for benefit of others). Part of this game is the initial rush that teams sometimes like to do. 5 minutes of brutality basically, with a steady push back. That's part of the fun!

When I tested putting up a server, I noticed that you could choose teams; this means there will be no confusion as to which team you are on and this is good.

I've come down to a two map decision for play for now, and it will either be Infected or Barrens. I know a lot of people do not LIKE playing at Barrens, but it is a good map for this sort of thing. With the two additional maps, I must give further consideration, because they might be possible to do.

Lenin has decided to help me run this, so if you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask either of us here or via pm. If anyone else wants to help run this, pm me here or at the skulltag site.

Quote:

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:59 pm

coming of playing a game of AOW SPAM at Barrens i think the best idea right now would be the new volcano map this is just a suggestion however and maybe the factor of having less ppl would not allow for spam unless the entire team of 5 is spamming

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:12 pm
Used to be Stalin

We haven't even played a game at AOW13 yet. You aren't being logical. Refer to the problem of induction.

Spam is really dependent on many factors. Certain people spam more than others (I KNOW WHO YOU ARE), weaponry, area... and of course, your definition of spam. We will work out these things, no worries.

EDIT: played 4 v 4 match at AOW13. Far too big for it. And its flat, meaning sniping is a breeze (provided you are good at it). Turrets had insane range.

Quote:

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:49 pm

lol yea i take that back aow13 is out of the question

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:59 pm

I know canyon isnt everyones fave map but I think it would be good for a tournament map. The bases (apart from WF) are easily defended and the paths to the bases are not linear like they are in most maps, players get a chance to hide and sneak and there is also the main central area where I have seen some epic battles take place. Also the map isnt too large for small teams but can accomodate quite large teams as well.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:31 am

It's true canyon is a good map however the fact that the war factory is exposed is bothering us, we don't really want to allow for any cross-base spamming and as we all know, that does and will happen on that map. I guess one could argue that its fair cuz both teams can do it, but I think we would rather see buildings destroyed through strategy rather tahn spamming. That's just my take on it though you never know what we will finally decide.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Once I was in a server that had tickets set from the start of each match, and it was only 30 tickets per match. You should have seen the difference in gameplay. No one was leeroy jenkins and everyone was suddenly extremely focussed on teamplay. Mechs were used to support groups of infantry instead of trying to kamikaze the obelisk or sit and snipe out some more frags. Medics were actually healing groups of infantry instead being used to shrug off obelisk shots. Everyone moved as a unit and utility players were extremely important. As much as I liked the change, 30 tickets really sucked XD

The potential for RTS in this mod is a lot greater than it's given credit for; I've seen it happen! Even since voltlock was in charge of AOW, I've been hoping for some official matches with teams who'd focus on strategy rather than sit in groups of 5 and plasma cannon the base whilst 3 juggers nuke the hell out of anyone they can see. Really hoping you guys can pull it off.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:36 am
Used to be Stalin

lefty wrote:
Once I was in a server that had tickets set from the start of each match, and it was only 30 tickets per match. You should have seen the difference in gameplay. No one was leeroy jenkins and everyone was suddenly extremely focussed on teamplay. Mechs were used to support groups of infantry instead of trying to kamikaze the obelisk or sit and snipe out some more frags. Medics were actually healing groups of infantry instead being used to shrug off obelisk shots. Everyone moved as a unit and utility players were extremely important. As much as I liked the change, 30 tickets really sucked XD

The potential for RTS in this mod is a lot greater than it's given credit for; I've seen it happen! Even since voltlock was in charge of AOW, I've been hoping for some official matches with teams who'd focus on strategy rather than sit in groups of 5 and plasma cannon the base whilst 3 juggers nuke the hell out of anyone they can see. Really hoping you guys can pull it off.
Actually, ticket number was something I did not consider :O Thank you for that. I don't think I'll put tickets right from the start though, because the game was created in mind for destroying the bases. So 30 minutes of trying to knockout the other teams structure for an advantage in ticket mode I think is fair.

Quote:

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:23 pm

I actually want to play with 30 tickets at the start of the match, so my team actually thinks as a team as opposed to going off alone as a time cop and doing what time cops do. I'm actually one of the few people who actually pick the medic class during regular games.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:37 pm
Used to be Stalin

Sorry, but I want the ability to repair buildings right from the start D:

Sudden death ticket mode activate in 30 minutes

Quote:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:20 pm
Wy Hai Thar!

aow_ticketpool 1 allows you to repair buildings right from the start, while still activating the ticket pool. It's not sudden death unless aow_suddendeathtime has actually passed.

More info

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:10 pm
Used to be Stalin

Oh, thank you.

Then I guess I'll have tickets right from the start... now need to determine how many. I'll watch a couple ticket modes and see how long they last, though I am thinking roughly 60-80 rather than 100

Quote:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:21 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next