View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
FAVOURITE WEAPON 
The Undead Queen B

Post Re: FAVOURITE WEAPON
For me, my favorite weapon is which ever one needs to be used in the game that supports my team. EX) on oasis in the caves, if my team is being raped, I go SSG and take out the massdriver spammers. If my team is being sniped left and right, i go stealth and take out the snipers so my team has some room to breath. When the mech spamming gets heavy, I go util and spawn some artilery turrets, and or anti mech turrets or artilery cannon them. There isn't really a favorite weapon when it comes to me; all the weapons have there ups and downs. In the end, it just matters who has the highest skill, who has some decent battle thought process(like when to double back, when to flank), or to just realize you can take on a titan with gunman and that team work is required in AOW2. But hey, I'm just 1 guy on the internet.

Sat May 19, 2012 2:50 pm
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

I generally lag way too much to like ANY weapon. >:(

Sat May 19, 2012 7:14 pm

I'll usually go what others aren't (if there's a sniper on the team, I won't pick sniper). If that's not the case and things are running smooth, might as well just go SSG, stealth, or util. On some maps, it's worth it to go Time Cop and make your teammates fly.

Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 pm
:/

Shotty :D

Sun May 20, 2012 12:06 am

Shotgun is beast, have a hard time deciding to go gunman or shotgun guy

Sun May 20, 2012 1:17 am
the All Out War 2 pro

I'm nearly always a gunbro or a stealthfag, depends on my ping. On good days I'll run around with a gauss

Code:
[20:31] <Synert> so yeah thanks dusk
[20:31] <Synert> for accidentally setting him on my forums
[20:31] <Medicris> dying
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v
[20:32] <Dusk> hahaha
[20:33] <Eric> truly a fate worse than banning

Sun May 20, 2012 10:09 am

and rage from losing I mean, <3

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

Music project back up : Needing a new host.

Sat May 26, 2012 3:26 am

^

Sat May 26, 2012 6:32 am
Faith implies fate

Massdriver and gauss rifle.

Sat May 26, 2012 9:38 am
Profile WWW
the All Out War 2 pro

Espio wrote:

Let's see you do any better with 1000+ ping, eh? ;)

Code:
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v

Sat May 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Synert wrote:
Espio wrote:

Let's see you do any better with 1000+ ping, eh?

Skulltag lies then, it always says you have 80 on GV. :V

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

Music project back up : Needing a new host.

Sat May 26, 2012 8:15 pm
the All Out War 2 pro

Spikes suck. On the bright side, they allow me to walk through things- and in one instance, a solid wall.

Code:

Sat May 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Ping is the time that takes a signal to travel from server to client, in miliseconds. Ping isn't the only thing that defines how much you "spike" in a server. There is something called packet loss. You can have the ping that is as low as you want, but if your connection sucks and fails to transfer some packets to the server, and if that keeps happening quite freuently, then you will spike regardless of your ping. On the other hand, if there is zero packet loss, then the only thing the ping should affects is the delay between you pressing the mouse button to fire and the weapon firing. That's why brazillians who played on european servers had their weapons fire 3 seconds after they pressed their fire button. But now that Skulltag has unlagged, I am not sure how this is handled.

Also, Skulltag's netcode can't let you go through walls. That's just what the client showed you, while in the reality that's not what happened. It's due to the packet loss. Some packets were lost while the server was sending the client their player coordinates in the map, which made the client interpret it as going through walls. I am not quite sure, but if this is not the way player positioning works, then we would have seen players teleport to whatever destination they want, if they hacked the client. However, I heard that there is some prediction on the client's end, so that might be the reason it showed you that you were going through walls. This is probably why brazillians who play on european servers don't take 3 seconds to move after they've pressed their buttons that make them move. I am not quite sure, though.

Sun May 27, 2012 12:25 pm

The following is a quote from Wikipedia on the method of lag compensation used by Skulltag (called "unlagged"):

Quote:
Another way to address the issue is to store past game states for a certain length of time, then rewind player locations when processing a command.[2] The server uses the latency of the player (including any inherent delay due to interpolation; see above) to rewind time by an appropriate amount in order to determine what the shooting client saw at the time the shot was fired. This will usually result in the server seeing the client firing at the target's old position and thus hitting. In the worst case a player will be so far behind that the server runs out of historic data and they have to start leading their targets.

This is a WYSIWYG solution that allows players to aim directly at what they are seeing. But the price is an aggravation of the effects of latency when a player is under fire: not only does their own latency play a part, but their attacker's too. In many situations this is not noticeable, but players who have just taken cover will notice that they carry on receiving damage/death messages from the server for longer than their own latency can justify. This can lead more often to the (false) impression that they were shot through cover and the (not entirely inaccurate) impression of "laggy hitboxes".

So basically, unless you're lagging severely (>250 ping), your hitscan shots will hit enemies if the crosshair is on them as you fire, but the actual damage will be delayed by your ping in milliseconds.

So if you have 200 ping and fire at an enemy dead in the crosshairs, the shot will land but take 200ms for the server to recieve the message that the victim has been shot.

This is why very laggy players can sometimes shoot "around walls" and "through cover", since to them, you weren't in cover yet. It's also the cause of the whole "But I clicked fire first!" confusion. Yes, you did, but the server registered his shot first. This is why instakilling weapons (SSG) rely highly on ping to kill enemies before they get a shot off.

Note that prediction for projectiles is still unimplemented and any projectiles will spawn late according to your ping.

Sun May 27, 2012 1:42 pm
Lead Artist

Except with projectiles things get only more confusing, and both ways aren't particularly nice.
First one would be to have the server check if the projectile hit the player at any time, while the second would be to offset the projectile for all other clients according to how delayed it was.

The first one would be confusing as hell, since you'd most likely get hit by projectiles you dodged.
And the second one is straight out stupid.

Sun May 27, 2012 1:55 pm
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

I almost always play a gunman or artillery soldier when I'm not nomming on infantry with a mech.

Wed May 30, 2012 2:42 am

I like Ravens. They can dodge everything. Dueling the big, slow mechs while in a Raven is a blast; I like when they try to hit me with their big guns but their shots are slower so the Raven can dodge real quick. Too bad it doesn't deal very much damage (at least not when I'm driving it, maybe it has potential I don't know about), but it would probably be overpowered if it did, so I guess it's fine. When I'm being infantry though, I usually use SMG because I often do refining and technician, and it's their weapon. SMG doesn't seem to be an awful gun, it has good range and okay damage, but there are definitely better weapons. Artillery and gauss cannons are both very fun, cause being infantry vs. mech is probably my most favorite role in the game (aside from raven vs. other mech, but that doesnt happen very much). I recently started figuring out how to use artillery gun against other infantry, and that it can do rocket jumps, which makes me like it even more. I still am really bad at killing infantry with non-explosive weapons other than rifle, but I keep practicing because I feel like they could be fun if I got good with them. I don't use shotguns very often though; being near enemies makes me nervous and I tend to die when I get close anyway.

Utility gun is great sometimes; building defenses and stuff is boring but it's an acceptable price to pay for such a diverse support weapon.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:31 am
Lead Artist

On another note, yay - new guys on the forum.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:26 am

Kanako Yasaka wrote:
I like Ravens. They can dodge everything. Dueling the big, slow mechs while in a Raven is a blast; I like when they try to hit me with their big guns but their shots are slower so the Raven can dodge real quick. Too bad it doesn't deal very much damage (at least not when I'm driving it, maybe it has potential I don't know about), but it would probably be overpowered if it did, so I guess it's fine.

The secret to hitting and running heavier mechs as a Raven is its LRM-5: Since the LRM fires from the Raven's right shoulder, you can fire around corners while still being mostly in cover yourself. Then when those are reloading, back up a few feet into total safety or find another angle to hit him from. LRM-5s reload so fast compared to heavier mech weapons that enemy madcats and titans won't be able to escape your constant rocket barrages.

Ravens are great at 1v1, but get outgunned otherwise.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:44 am
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

I think that Ravens are really good, but I wouldn't say they could beat a Titan or Madcat one-on-one if both players know how to use their mech. The Titans main gun does a whole hell of a lot of damage(plus travels quickly and is accurate), it's rockets can sweep across a large area, and if a Raven tried to get close the flamethrower would wreck the poor light mech. The madcat is a bit weaker (lacking the almighty cannon of the titan), but can still easily hold its own.

This is all assuming that the two players are more or less equally skilled at piloting mechs, though.

The guardian is another story altogether though... if you are at a distance or have decent cover they are pretty easy to kill with a Raven (I think Kanako can attest to that).

Oh, something similar to the reverse is fun too. Take a guardian, prep mini nuke, and hide behind a wall. As soon as the unsuspecting light mech walks into view... *BAM*

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next