View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Question about mech rush 
Faith implies fate

Post Question about mech rush
What's the best composition of mechs for Mech rush ? I think 3 titans, but is it really ? What about Madcats for Mech rush ? Does titans rockets do more damage than Madcats ? Is wolverine more effective against obelisk than titan since it can spam plasma pulse balls along with rockets (weaker ones).

And whats most effective defense against mech rush ? Guardian, Demo Expert and remotes or Plasma Cannon ? I am assuming that massdriver is just weapon to counter mechs second in strength after plasma cannon, but what to do when it's so extreme.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:44 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Question about mech rush
Simple: Your best bet against a mech siege is to hit them with artillery troopers and some tanks mechs of your own, while keeping a couple of technicians around to repair mechs as they fight and to patch up any building damage that gets through.

Details:

Orcas are useless for killing buildings, if they accompany a rush they're best only used to kill anti-mech infantry threatening the rush. Ravens are mostly the same, but can land some LRM-5 to assist in hitting the Obelisk or other mechs.

Wolverines are decent all-rounders, but LRM-10s are pretty much the best they've got for anti-structure. All added up, they're much cheaper and easier to mass rush with but simply dont dish out as much per unit. Use them as artillery behind advancing teammates.

Madcats are great for prolonged attacks, and they're more capable of dealing with anti-mech infantry than Titans since their weapons are laser (which all explosive classes are weak to) and never run out of ammo. Just don't lead a charge with them, since they don't have as much armour as Titans.

Titans are pretty much tied with Madcats for damage against buildings. Difference is, Titans are projectile-only and they're hueg and slow. Bigger than a Guardian. Aside from your flamer, your main weapons are explosive, which is exactly what anti-mech classes are protected from. They are more accurate and do huge direct hit damage, though, so snipe some mechs and turrets as your rockets pummel the target building.

Guardians are dual-purpose: Stopping mech rushes, and less commonly, obliterating enemy mechs trying to kill your team's mech rush. If a team is smart, they'll have a Guardian to counter the enemy Guardian, and pack along some other mechs to overwhelm it. Then it gets tricky and comes down to who has more firepower and organization.

Just in case, if you can afford it, always buy an Arty cannon for mech encounters and emergencies, especially since they're handy to RJ with too. It's also extremely beneficial to be a technician and help mechs tank damage while they push the enemy back for you. Better to lose a $200 technician or two than lose a $2000 Titan holding a vital chokepoint. It helps everyone, and there's no reason not to do it. Also, seriously, make sure everyone's clear on which building to rush, because three different mechs attacking three different buildings is so easily shrugged off it's hilarious.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:31 am
:/

I have two strategies, for Obelisk rushing.

Wolverine - Titan - Titan - Madcat - Everything Else

The Wolverine takes the blows of the Obelisk to let the Titans do the crushing while the Madcat both attacks the Obelisk and Infantry. Anything else either attacks or stalls the opponents.

Titan - Titan - Titan - Orca

Simple Titan rush, with the Orca to deal with supporters. Also, the Orca's the one to stick face to face with any Guardians.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:53 pm

...Orca to face guardians?
I'd rather make your second combo as Titan - Titan - Guardian - Orca where titans take the blows from the obelisk and attack it, the guardian faces defense mechs and orca faces anti-mech infantry and turrets.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:14 pm

When most of the enemy team is engaged in a mech rush I usually take the opportunity to counter attack. I think some buildings can be sacrificed for more important ones but usually it's hard to convince the team about this. :)

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:56 pm
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Especially orcas benefit immensely from technicians healing them.
So, "liek srsly" - don't mind doing that.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Orca vs Guardian? All he has to do is send two 80mms at you, and if that fails, flak you down in moments. To a Guardian pilot holding off a mech rush, an Orca is just a fly to swat before returning to killing the ground mechs.

He wouldn't lose a whole lot of time trying to kill the Orca, but it can be enough. Still seems like Artillery guys would be way, way better.

Does no one else realize how effective anti-building units Artillery Troopers are? They're 600$ and primary fire does like 1-2% damage on a building from any range. On infantry-only maps, it's like the de-facto distance basekiller weapon. Point is, for optimal success rate, bring a bunch of Artillery Troopers with the mechrush. They'll deal with enemy mechs and slam buildings while the enemy team is obviously going to be geared for anti-mech. I've had success with this strategy in the past.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:44 pm
the All Out War 2 pro

Medicris wrote:
Does no one else realize how effective anti-building units Artillery Troopers are? They're 600$ and primary fire does like 1-2% damage on a building from any range. On infantry-only maps, it's like the de-facto distance basekiller weapon. Point is, for optimal success rate, bring a bunch of Artillery Troopers with the mechrush. They'll deal with enemy mechs and slam buildings while the enemy team is obviously going to be geared for anti-mech. I've had success with this strategy in the past.

I do this all the time during sudden death with the buyable artillery cannon. Less damage, but I'd rather take the benefits other classes give me. Plus it's still capable of dishing out 3% on the obelisk per shot, pretty good for early-game attacks.

Code:
[20:31] <Synert> so yeah thanks dusk
[20:31] <Synert> for accidentally setting him on my forums
[20:31] <Medicris> dying
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v
[20:32] <Dusk> hahaha
[20:33] <Eric> truly a fate worse than banning

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Quote:
...Orca to face guardians?

Quote:
Orca vs Guardian? All he has to do is send two 80mms at you, and if that fails, flak you down in moments

The orca is meant to piss off the Guardian from a little distance to avoid immediate death.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 am

Orca's attacks are nothing compared to the incoming mechs. And they don't do much damage to guardians either.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Idk if it's just with my blood brightness, but I can't see shiet with bullets (whole screen fades gray)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:43 pm

lawa001 wrote:
Idk if it's just with my blood brightness, but I can't see shiet with bullets (whole screen fades gray)

Blood brightness. Turn it down so it's only enough to let you know if you've been sniped or are getting hit by Rifle Turrets (their bullets dont trigger pain sounds when they hit you). All an Orca can do to me is slightly darken my screen.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]