View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
[r2539] Uncool point system bug 
Tib-rifle-n00b ;-)

Post [r2539] Uncool point system bug
I think there is a problem with the current AOW point system.

Destroying a building is usually considered COOL and should therefore be rewarded with many points. Sometimes you get about 100 points or more for this (= high coolness :mrgreen: ), but most times you get almost nothing and even worse no one even knows who did it (= no coolness :( ).

People might think you are just a semiskilled all-time harvester if you repeatedly happen to have very low points and only e.g. 2 frags after 32 minutes of gameplay, even if you were the kewlest guy around and destroyed several buildings. :|

Thu May 10, 2012 11:33 am
Report this post

Post Re: [r2539] Uncool point system bug
Eraser wrote:
no one even knows who did it (= no coolness :( ).

The opposite team to the one who lost the building did it. Just a note that it can't be always you who destroys buildings. There are always other people who help you destroy it. No matter how much they do, they still do help you. And that's what a team does. This ego boosting crap can mostly bring competitions between team members which is (= NOT COOL :( ).

If you want to be (= COOL you can always prove it by having many frags - non-teamwork (kind of) related work. If you win a game, it's the team who's cool, not you. If you don't believe in that then you can always play by yourself against a team of 6 players and you'll see.

Thu May 10, 2012 11:48 am
Report this post
Tib-rifle-n00b ;-)

I just reported a game bug, I didn't want to start a discussion about the sense of the point system here. Maybe I decorated it a little too much, ok. What you say could be understood as a vote for removing the whole point system including frag count statistics.

Thu May 10, 2012 12:09 pm
Report this post

I like to reply to people's decorations, where they express their opinion regarding the current issue.

Thu May 10, 2012 12:51 pm
Report this post

Please refrain from unnecessary text size formatting. I'm sure what you're trying to say will get across if it's not like this.

Eraser wrote:
I just reported a game bug, I didn't want to start a discussion about the sense of the point system here.

It's a suggestion to remove points and frag counts (which seems unlikely as frags and points are always displayed in Skulltag's TeamGame (ACS) mode). That's not a bug, please look up what a "software bug" is if you're unfamiliar with it.

Eraser wrote:
I didn't want to start a discussion about the sense of the point system here.

That's exactly what you're doing. You're asking them to change points code, and they don't make major code changes for no reason.

Eraser wrote:
What you say could be understood as a vote for removing the whole point system including frag count statistics.

The scoreboard can't be modified in Skulltag, so frags and points will have to be displayed.

I'm pretty neutral on the amount of points a building attacker gets, but all I can really say is that taking down a building is a group effort, and one guy getting all of the "glory" for landing the last shot seems kind of unfair to everyone else. What if your teammates blew the Refinery to high heaven with C4 and some guy with a plasma cannon sniping it got the points instead?

Point is, "points" aren't so much of a status indicator, they're what the game's ACS system relies on to judge which team wins.

Thu May 10, 2012 5:52 pm
Report this post

Medicris wrote:
Point is, "points" aren't so much of a status indicator, they're what the game's ACS system relies on to judge which team wins.

Actually they're more of an indicator which team is doing better and who's credit to the team. Yes, the engine uses them to determine the winner but that only gets done after the last building goes down.

I'll admit - yes - this is a bug - but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to fix it, because of the reasons Medicris noted.

Thu May 10, 2012 7:29 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW

So you're saying the way it works now is unintentional?

Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 pm
Report this post

It is unintentional, but I'm not sure if I should correct the behavior.

Thu May 10, 2012 11:03 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW

So how does the points for building destruction get calculated? as Eraser already said sometimes you get 10 points and sometimes you get a 100.

Actually my notion today is that if you destroy a building alone you get more score than teamworking to destroy the same building. I guess it is calculated on the damage of the building but this is only counted on the first time of the percentual damage ?

As I was into in my Scoreboard thread Points can and should be used to reward team mates that contributes to the team effort. After all a team effort is made up of individual efforts. So the individual should also be rewarded something for playing for the better of the team. As this is already in the Point system I don't really get what some of the above discussion is about.

Fri May 11, 2012 8:02 am
Report this post

The amount of points depends on how far your team is down. If you have two buildings down, and somebody heroes the war factory, they get a high load of points to award the comeback.

Though I guess it's perhaps not the best way around this. One proposal one day was to make damaging buildings award points, and the actual destruction would give... well, I dunno about that part. I'd still be up for doing that.

Fri May 11, 2012 12:10 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
:/

2 points per frag
1 point per Tib
1 point per 50exp repaired
100 points per building DESTROYED
50 points for Regens and Repair Fac.
25 points for Mini Ref
10 points for destroying portals
1 point per %? Idk about that

Fri May 11, 2012 8:59 pm
Report this post

OK hmm, I'm coming to the conclusion that by getting points for damaging buildings you'll either not get enough when you instakill the building (with C4 or beacons) or you'll get too much for normally damaging it.

So I'll throw this out there: what if you got points proportionate to how badly the building is damaged? By causing it 1000 damage when it's at 30% is more valuable than if it's at full health, I'd say.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:54 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Sounds cool. And to save the little seconds one would spend figuring it out, it can be done by dividing the points given by (MaxHealth-CurrentHealth)/MaxHealth + 0.15 (or something > 0)

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:01 pm
Report this post

Or 1 + a - CurrentHealth/MaxHealth, a > 0. Guess who had an algebra test today.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:41 pm
Report this post
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]