View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
AOW2 - r2392 

Post Re: AOW2 - r2392
De-M-oN wrote:
Quote:
- Fixed: d_aow13.s3m was actually an .it. Renamed. [Dusk]

If you export it from UnrealED it is a s3m file.

The file in AOW is an it though and had the wrong file extension:
Code:
$ file d_aow13.it
d_aow13.it: Impulse Tracker module sound data - "Skyward Fire" compatible w/ITv217 created w/ITv100

As for stealth speed, this is mostly an experimental balance tweak, if it does not perform well ingame (i.e. makes it even grindier) I will revert it.

Quote:
As for the graphics changing cvar, I imagine it would just cause wad bloating for a feature I don't think 99% of the players will use.

Actually I'm sorta hoping to implement this, but as of right now the effects decorate is a mess (fire actors fucking everywhere). It'd be an eventual implementation I'm not ready to work on right now.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 pm
Profile WWW

De-M-oN wrote:
Oh and I would like to ask something:

You want less Plasma Cannon in buildings? But how should I defend the beacon well?

Atm there is with this really a little problem. Especially with much players on server.

All the other weapons arent well enough to defend the beacon because too low damage (not enough at least for the weak hitpoints of stealth trooper and the amount of offense you usually get when you've planted a beacon. You have at small area in a building from several doors enemy contact. These pea shooters cant hold this.
But Plasma Cannon cant do this too anymore well - very dangerous selfdamage with very big radius. But what does the enemy? He just wants to kill you (he simply doesn't have to care about if he dies to kill you) , so he also comes with Plasma Cannon to you into building and lots of other guns which you dont have or just not the good ones, because you start off with dangerous plasma cannon and weak laser rifle and your weak armor.
Any recommendation to have A LITTLE chance? especially when there are much players on server?
The only hope atm is to lay c4 around the beacon, wait until they see you or begin to disarm and leave the building and try to hit them by shooting plasma cannon into the building - but thats evil hard if you have many players and lots of turrets around.
Any tip for this would be nice.
Don't attack the enemy's base alone. AOW is a team-based game. Even now when players aren't playing like a team, there are at least 2 players that would help you. These one player attacks are something we are trying to eliminate to encourage teamwork.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:07 pm

Quote:
Why? Was it really necessary? Stealth Trooper has weak armor, the laser rifle is relatively weak and so on.

Even at 0.95, he's still one of the fastest classes available, second only to Gunman and Suicide Bomber. The stealth still has fast-activating total invisibility on his side, and the laser rifle can be very powerful if you land each shot correctly.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Eric wrote:
Even at 0.95, he's still one of the fastest classes available, second only to Gunman and Suicide Bomber. The stealth still has fast-activating total invisibility on his side, and the laser rifle can be very powerful if you land each shot correctly.

It doesn't only affect PVP, though ...
My concern is, will you be able to manage running in the enemy base, under the obelisk's sight for some moments, like you could before ?
If the speed gets lowered, then the distance covered during the detection is lessened.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 pm
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Still more than before the general speed upping.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:35 am

I tried the 0.95 sped stealth on the new AOW14, to cover some distance under the obelisk's sight.
It seemed sufficient, but still need to try it more. (like on AOW01, or AOW14, where there are large portions where you can't hide to access the obelisk as a stealth)

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Dusk wrote:
A frag could be 2 points, while refining a tiberium would yield one.
To be honest, this makes the game more camp friendly when frags are worth more than tiberium, especially when you can get more frags in a shorter period of time than if you were to harvest tiberium.

Think of it this way: How much can you harvest in a minute? It all comes down to how fast your character moves at max speed and the distance from the closest tib field to the closest refinery door.

How much can you frag in a minute? It all comes down to how many people you run into. If you stay in the middle long enough, you're bound to get more frags than harvests. And since frags are worth twice as much as harvesting, you can easily rack up points really fast.

Think of it this way: You're in a game of 10v10, and you're the only one harvesting for the entire match. It takes a total of 5 seconds to harvest 1 tiberium. The opposing team grabs a moderate class and kills off 3 players in 5 seconds (This is all hypothetical, so in this case, they won't even kill you once). So far, you have 6-1 in five seconds. Continue this process for a minute, and you have 36-12. Continue this for the entire 60 minutes, and you have 2160-720. Of course, this is without lives or anything of that sort. If you even want to keep up with them, you'd have to have 5 other people on your team harvest for the entire match. But once you do that, they'll figure out your strategy, and will simply pick every single one of you off, possibly boosting their point count a bit faster, and slowing down your harvesting speeds.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 am

Sounds normal to me, because you're not meant to win by harvesting.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah, except you can easily dominate with frags alone, making the game even MORE of a TDM than it already is.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Konda' wrote:
Don't attack the enemy's base alone. AOW is a team-based game. Even now when players aren't playing like a team, there are at least 2 players that would help you. These one player attacks are something we are trying to eliminate to encourage teamwork.

On the one hand I like this argument, on the other hand its problematic on public.

With text chat team communication is very bad. especially when you have no time to write (this is the case when you're in enemy base). But especially there you would need the communication with your mate.

What you need is voice chat - and voice chat has problems too with public. Like different languages, angry people, younger people, and much more.

The best would be if I could play this game via LAN with private friends. But this is not so easy to get a decent amount of players.

But I wish this would happen for me. Then AOW must be great. But the problem is too - in germany there are not many players who play doom online.
The most play newer games here.

Last edited by De-M-oN on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:40 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Yeah, we have that problem too. In every other FPS I've played the whole team is engaged in teamwork. I don't know why it has to be Skulltag with this problem.

But let's be honest here. Most of the players (including me) are playing AOW2 because they have dozens of classes to choose from (and mechs!), including those classes specialized in stuff that hasn't been seen in Skulltag before (Utility guy, suicide bomber, time cop). Of course that is being followed by things like power-up crates and ranking/credit system. Some players (including me) are sometimes engaged in destroying enemy's base, but why bore myself with planning and stuff like that when I can just choose one of a thousand weapons, go to the battle field, and kill everything I see (just like it's being done in doom)? I have a nice 60 minute TDM game, followed by even more TDM after that.

Yellowtail wrote:
Yeah, except you can easily dominate with frags alone, making the game even MORE of a TDM than it already is.
Better than dominating by refining tiberium crystals :V
I do not agree with Dusk in general when it comes to the new points system. Yellowtail has made some points I agree with. It's not really a good idea.

We need to think of something that will discourage TDM while encouraging base conquering. There are dozens of things to talk about when it comes to this issue. While I am too lazy to point a few of the issues out, I am also afraid that no body will listen to me so why bother. Not even this post might get a lot of attention, so I may need to make a new balance discussion thread. I'll get my lazy ass to do it in the near future, but I need to go through some thinking as well.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2