View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
[No] Utility Guy - new things to build 
The Undead Queen B

Post [No] Utility Guy - new things to build
So-yeah, lately, I've been utilling on maps and some things have been getting annoying. I try to place mines in complex ways so that there in lines, all compacted into 1 layer of mines, and trying to util the barracks which is always a difficult cluster-fuck and the only way to do it is by repeatably placing mines, followed by using repair gun to remove the ones you don't want to complete the desired pattern in and when you try to remove some a bit by bit by repairing them, sometimes you repair mines that you trying to not repair, and i want to through my computer out of a window, I think you should have more options of placing mines like the following : place 3 mines vertically,place 3 mines diagonally, place 1 mine, place a block of 4 or a line of 10 :U (yeah i don't know why either). So-yeah, please look into this. This would make making defenses a lot easier.

and by the way, Could you guys see the same tequniques above with sandbags, turrets, or razorwires? :? (and stun mines( not damaging the player in anyway but obscuring the players vision ( pump up the gamas like hell or some sprites perhaps) for roughly). Long post is Long

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:44 pm
eltiT motsuC

Post Re: Utility Guy - new things to build
Do you have any idea how annoying this would be to code?

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Quote:
So-yeah, lately, I've been utilling on maps and some things have been getting annoying.

That's nice. People playing as utility and stalling games into hour-long campfests have been getting annoying.
Quote:
run-on sentence about proxy placement that I can't be assed to copy

Use the technician or demo expert's proxies if you don't like the utility gun's pattern.
Quote:
So-yeah, please look into this. This would make making defenses a lot easier.

Code it for us and we'll think about it.
Quote:
and by the way, Could you guys see the same tequniques above with sandbags, turrets, or razorwires?

Not entirely sure what you're asking for here - prefabricated turret layouts?
Quote:
(and stun mines( not damaging the player in anyway but obscuring the players vision

Flashbangs were terrible enough, never mind being able to just place mines that take out all the challenge in using them.
Quote:
pump up the gamas like hell

Last time someone did that, they nearly got the consolecommand feature removed from Skulltag/Zandronum.
Quote:
Long post is Long

Not in particular, you're just bad at formatting.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Well, first off...

Why do you insist on placing mines in "complex ways" and in specific arrangements when a util'd patch of 5 covers a Barracks door well enough? The detection radius on them is enough to hit anyone going in. Utiling a Barracks is not hard, just put some razor wire on both sides of the barracks doors, a patch of mines behind each door, one or two turrets and a mini-raven.

The repair gun disarms nearby C4 because it does splash damage and you're not accounting for it; the splash is required to disarm C4 placed behind the MCT, among other things.

Defenses like that are just plain inefficient anyway. Lines of single mines won't scare most people unless they're very weakened.

For that kind of thing, Demo Experts and Technicians have proxies to lay mines precisely, by hand. In fact, that's one of my starting strategies: using a Technician at the start of game to get the refinery and maybe tib mined as soon as the game starts.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Eric wrote:
Quote:
So-yeah, please look into this. This would make making defenses a lot easier.

Code it for us and we'll think about it.

And even then if it was coded it would be too cumbersome to maintain.. the utility gun's giving enough trouble as it is.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]