View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
AOW17 - Defunct Commission 
AOW19

Post AOW17 - Defunct Commission
Well, I sorta finished it

It's open for edit by the Devs
heres the link
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20206758/AOWthingy.rar

here are some screens
pics

Please give some feed back :o

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:19 am

Post Re: Defunct Commission - AOW##
It's better that you put empty sectors in between than make it render the whole 25000x18000 unit territory at once. There is a very noticeable framerate drop at singleplayer mode and that's not a good thing.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:11 am

Have to say that I love the explorability of the map, although it feels too open for me.. I can imagine gauss spam on this map and that is never good. I was never a fan of the quake textures Skulltag uses... but the way they're used in this map to create the arctic base athmosphere is just lovable.

Some bugs I noticed:

The Obelisk can catch you on those cliffs next to the Red base.

The gradient textures need additive translucency, regular causes them to have dark edges like this.

Pressing this button causes an unknown script error.

Automap reveals that the center building is closer to the red base than the blue one. Also the northern building should be a bit closer to center rather than to the left. (The extra lines not normally displayed are because of me using am_cheat 1)

What's with that roof? :P

Enemy players can crouch here, at the blue tiberium field, to pick at harvesters. Red tiberium field doesn't have this.

Love the map, but it needs some touch-up.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
AOW19

Alright, for the part with the unknown script error with the button
Originally, when you pressed the button, friendly marines would spawn within 5 mins. to help kill of the invasion on the map
but, when I submitted this map, I sorta forgot to remove the button lol
maybe the devs might do something interesting with the structure idk

and about the roof thing, I would just change the snow to the usual blue texture

as for the Red tiberium problem, i should have just lowered the gate down lol, thanks for spotting the spot

as for the Red team's cliff, I would have just extended the force field thingy more to the side, good spotting yet again :D

All in all, thanks for reviewing the map.
I also can't wait for this thing to be released publicly :D
Good Luck Devs!

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Now that it's generally been decided to disable all FOV, I think that just by adding some cover in the form of boulders, walls and stuff would make this map amazing to play. Gauss won't be as huge of an issue.

AOW22 anyone?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:58 pm
FlutterGUY :/

Small question: What's the name of the music? It's amazing

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:52 pm
Madface

Post Re: AOW17 - Defunct Commission
First off well done. This is a beautiful map and I love simply exploring it. If you're looking to improve gameplay, my critiques would be that the map is too big, and the rear of the base is far too open on both sides.

1. I can't tell you how often single players are able to demolish an enemy base with utility spam. Once the enemy's research center goes down, the wounded team ragequits. Players tend to remember that, and so they just vote-skip this map now once it appears, or a good chunk of players disconnect when the map is actually played. It would be good to have only way into the rear of the base rather than two huge gaps in the rear of the base. An alternate suggestion would be instead of a route into the rear of the base there could be a route into the flank of the base. Either suggestion would make the base far easier to defend, and give players a change to actually establish defenses in their bases before the roflspam comes.

2. The size of the map and all the wonderful architecture in some of the buildings is as previously mentioned beautiful, but the size is a hindrance to gameplay. The map should be tightened up in the center, perhaps eliminate the warehouse structure in the very center and pull in some of those dilapidated buildings into the center instead. That way players, and especially snipers, would have the opportunity to actually utilize these buildings & structures and fight for control of them, and the buildings would actually be used during gameplay. This would also address Medicris' suggestion of adding some cover, but instead of in the form of boulders or hills, you can use the buildings and other structures you already have in the map.

3.The huge canyons and caves on the very sides of the map should be eliminated or shrunk IMHO.

Besides those critiques, beautiful map and well done. My hat goes off to you.

Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 pm

My gripe with this map is its framerate issues in the main field and the base/side paths. What I say on the map, >:( has already said. It shares two of the biggest plagues Island does: big in size and is hard as balls to defend. The server population reacts in the same way to it too.

EDIT: Wow that sounded negative. I really like the concept of this actual snowy battlefield landscape, but I wish those two issues weren't there.

Wed May 09, 2012 2:21 am
Faith implies fate

It's a open map for snipers, orca and stealths and for gauss play. On this map you have to maintain all the time base defenses cuz with all defenses you can't cover and protect your base. Just because back of the base is too open early way to lose is actually don't place defenses. Research Center is very vurneable. RC is usually first building that goes down and requires maximum protection. And it's Main building, you can't c4 any building in SD, you lose expensive classes for playing on tickets. If you lose RC you have to play demo, and to arrive to opponens base as demo and on this very very open map isn't easy if there is someone in the center waiting to frag you. Stealths on this map can have major advantage if they pickup machine gun or gattling stalking and taking off unprepared.

Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 am
Profile WWW
FlutterGUY :/

Well... If anyonE'S interesed here's the music..

AOW17

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]