View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
AOW18 - Red Zone 

Post Re: AOW18 - Red Zone
So. A few months have passed and people have gained a solid opinion on this map and it's not as popular now.

I think I might know why. The map plays very well. Two things make it harder to enjoy though.

One. The side Tiberium caves are open to mechs. Wolverines and Orcas in particular are pretty bad for clogging up the side tunnels. It also means they can get into the back of the base with zero Obelisk risk.

Two, well, folks say it doesn't look very good. I suppose that's respectable, since it uses Voltbuildings aside from the Obelisk. Could use a bit less brown too. Most of those screenshots are 90% brown. Some quick fixes like a blue sky would definitely help. It'd look nice to have some more green foliage in and around the tunnels to start with too.

Other than that I think it's a rock solid map in gameplay. All I would personally do is enlarge the midfield to encourage more gameplay there and add more hazards in the tunnels, like barrels and AOW01-style pits to make them more interesting. Since the midfield is basically a big donut with a rather empty room in the middle, that usually means enemies don't quite see/meet each other as much as in a map like AOW02. Helping open up the midfield a little bit could help that.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm working on it ...
Screenshots

And I have a question.
What's script number is for surrender in purcahse terminal?

Last edited by Martin1179 on Fri May 04, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 03, 2012 8:51 pm

...Whoa.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Looks very, very good. By the way, that post I put up was looking at the very top screenshots, instead of the one currently in the wad with the brown sky. Those are the ones I was talking about.

Looks good now, looks very good in those shots.

Thu May 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Looks significantly improved, yes. :)

Thu May 03, 2012 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

That looks really nice! :O

Might wanna spoiler those images though, since it's a bit hard to not skip to the next page after seeing them all. (And in this case, you had a pretty big question.)
It would also reduce the vertical scale of everything, which would also be nice. ;)

Fri May 04, 2012 6:15 am

Martin1179 wrote:
What's script number is for surrender in purcahse terminal?

Whoops, sorry, missed this. The script number is 342. Existing maps do it by tagging the line as 159, but I'm considering that deprecated now.

Fri May 04, 2012 11:48 am
Profile WWW
The Undead Queen B

I like the map, it has an equal balance between distances between basses (unlike space camp).Yes, it does have quite a bit of brown but that's your style and I respect that. Keep up the good work. Its a good map IMHO. :)

Sat May 05, 2012 1:04 pm
Madface

I think it's a fun map that's well balanced and has some nice detail in the tunnels—it is honestly my new favorite map thus far. People enjoy Red Zone when they play it, it's just getting them to stay long enough to play it is the challenge.

Personally I'd close the tunnel in the very rear of the bases and reposition the rear tib field to just outside the base toward the front right. It's way too easy for a single stealth to sneak around to the rear of the base, annihilate all your defenses, and lolspam the refinery or war factory to oblivion. The tib field nearby the obelisk is just fine.

The center chamber in the map is a nice addition, but it gives opponents too many chances to skirmish or just evade one another rather than have huge fights which I think would make this map truly epic. Medicris has a good point with enlarging the center field. I'd suggest try nixing the center room all together and just have some small hills and small depressions in the center instead.

Those are my two cents. Great work.

Tue May 08, 2012 9:28 pm

The back of the base isn't particularly horrendous, seeing as I've played as both attacker and defender of that entrance: I can tell you it's pretty hard to bust through once you factor in some util defenses and a guy sitting with an SSG or something.

Besides, AOW needs maps where actual base attacking is possible and fun. A lot of them have easily defended bases which denies attempts to actually play the objective, and end up making TDM the result.

Wed May 09, 2012 1:38 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Medicris wrote:
A lot of them have easily defended bases which denies attempts to actually play the objective, and end up making TDM the result.

AOW02 & 04 are prime examples of this. (Unless you're lucky in AOW04, your chances of doing anything before dying are pretty slim.)

Wed May 09, 2012 7:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2