View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Tesla coils... 

Post Tesla coils...
Been a bit since the last update, thought to post what's up:

We've thought out things a lot and decided to go with teams being GDI's Steel Talons vs Nod's Black Hand. As so, among other things, the blue team's color became blue/green/yellow sorta, with yellow being the text color. Even though this is kind of a move to being more faithful with CNC, AOW still remains sort of an offshoot of Renegade rather than a direct clone, as is how it should be.

The PFD resource pack I posted we were going to be moving in is being (slowly but steadily) integrated. Right now I'm concentrating on getting two maps - Red Zone and Barrens - updated to the new theme and resources. While the Vrack-edits and other recolors do good for a GDI base, the Nod ones, being black and red all over, were sort of lacking so they had to be recolored in too.

Ultimately though, I'd say it kind of paid off.

One other problem also arose... GDI never had an Obelisk nor was ever meant to have one. While most weaponry could be said was just graciously stolen from the other faction (I guess all those stealth raids we've had over the years did end up with something), the Obelisk is kind of an iconic Nod structure. It wouldn't be right to just hand it over to GDI, though a suitable structure was of course necessary.

The decision was to use tesla coils; they're kind of obelisk-like as far as general structure goes while being a distinct defensive structure, so it was kind of fitting. A Transfer_Heights trick keeps it from shooting at its feet (essentially the four rings and everything below are blocking) and even suitable charge-up and firing sounds were uncovered, so we're good on this end. As is also visible, the MCT was moved to the back of the coil, the Obelisk will follow suit with that soon enough.

Also, the obelisk and tesla coil now are to draw visible beams, rejoice. The beams work by having the projectile trace back to its shooter and, with the magic of clientside ACS, spawn a bunch of flare actors. The image is kind of misleading on this front, the individual flares are more visible on most angles.
(BWAAAARGH I AM IRON MAN)

Yet another thing is that class cards were rid of again, and replaced with text-based descriptions. Thus they'll be actually correct instead of being grossly outdated and incorrect like the class cards were.

There's also been a quite a lot under the hood changes as well as stuff ported from the old beta build. I'm hoping to put out an early test build later on, though keep in mind it won't have all of the maps.. mapping is kind of slow at the moment so I'm afraid the initial build won't have as many maps as would be ideal but the popular ones shall be there, with maybe some old/new maps found good enough.

That's all for now.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:49 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Tesla coils...
Very good. Look forward to update

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:42 pm

"GDI's experimental Steel Talons subdivision had been charged with replicating Nod's Obelisk structures for their own use, but despite their efforts they could not reverse-engineer many components of the Scrin-derived technology: instead they chose to look back to century-old GWWII Soviet designs in typical GDI tradition and took a page from their book on base defense designs."

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:13 am

Good to read you :D

I was seeing the map aow02. Tesla Coils side, is more easy to destroy it becouse the Master Control is less hide than the "old" obelisk.

The range of Shock Rifle is too large... :O Should fix it.

Nice version :D Like it.

Regards

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:48 am

The Obelisk is soon to follow the Tesla MCT style. Or vice versa. We're kinda just experimenting at the moment.

Shock Rifle was an oversight and was immediately corrected. It had a range of, get this

2000 units

That's pretty much exactly between the maximum range of a shotgun pellet (1000) and an orca's maximum machinegun range (3000). That... is far.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:35 am
:/

Looks cool.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Well, i played this new version and here are my personnal toughts about it :

That i love : _Games of 1vs1 to 4vs4
_ New harvesting system
_The new demolition man
_New textures
_Mechs are less useless
_Revamp of AOW02

That is average : _New colours system for team
_No time limit for C4 ( at least 90 secs)
_Money balance

That i hate : _Games of 5vs5 to 16vs16
_Bugs
_Obby too weak against mechs
_Beacons cannot harm buildings outside

So yeah my opinion is more balanced than the one i ve wrote there is 6 months.
Gameplay have been improved a lot despite the some odd choices who have been made.
People doesn't seem to like the new color team and still play the 2539 version,but i guess if you improve this one again the wind will turn.

_First,i ve always think than remove the Juggernaut was a terrible mistake and AOW2 paid the price(People playing having been quartered).
Hear nuclear explosions and see the buildings stats lowered of 20% was one of the main source of fun and stress.
And plus,that allowed to stealth men to do their jobs.
Without this threat,utility guys are over-used.

_Secondly,the money balance was always fucked.
People were always overflooded of money letting the mini ref to limbo.
Well,i understand the credit bonus factor but 200$ instead of 300$ is more fair toward the team who destroyed the enemy refinery.

That s all for now.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:03 pm
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

300 Credits every 5 minutes is mathematically 1 credit per second, which is absolutely miniscule - and 300 credits is enough for grabbing either the TE21/Machinegunner/SSGer exactly once.
and then you die and you're down to 1 credits/sec again until you get another 300 credits after 5 minutes of dying

no that's too much

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:23 am

Blox wrote:
300 Credits every 5 minutes is mathematically 1 credit per second, which is absolutely miniscule - and 300 credits is enough for grabbing either the TE21/Machinegunner/SSGer exactly once.
and then you die and you're down to 1 credits/sec again until you get another 300 credits after 5 minutes of dying

no that's too much

I m a bit tired of these kind of arguments like "mechs are op" while no one use them anymore.
The only answer i can give you is : play the game.
And you will see than players are overflooded of money and do not suffer when their ref is destroyed.

Other issues i found while playing :

Field medic unplayable (and totally underplayed)

_Health gun not enough powerful.
_Double the strength and time limit for the Health turret

Time cop unplayable

_Remove idiot penalty of health while using hyper speed
_A weapon more like gauss gun at least.(for 2000$ it s cheap)

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Arghantyl wrote:
Time cop unplayable

_Remove idiot penalty of health while using hyper speed
_A weapon more like gauss gun at least.(for 2000$ it s cheap)

Careful, time cop is a support class. Those buffs would make him more of a combat class.
Should he be a combat class instead? I am not too sure, but last time he was a combat class, it caused problems (and he had that gauss-like weapon). Maybe if his time-warping weapon arsenal was actually interesting and not composed of simply, uh, a freaking gauss gun, like it was long ago when he indeed was a combat class.

What makes him worth $2000 isn't his ability to buff his entire team, if played properly. Those buffs aren't that much of a big deal and don't last for enough time to enable a team to do some coordinated attack on a building.

What makes him worth $2000, I think, is his teleporting function, in order to prevent people continuously buying time cop after dying just so they can teleport inside the enemy's base with it. I don't know how effective the teleporter is before sudden death, but once sudden death begins, C4s actually pose a threat to a building (if coming only from an individual, which is implied by the time gun's teleporter nature), so imagine everyone just teleporting inside your buildings and planting C4s all over the place. That would be some crazy shit.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:21 am

Your analysis is good but why code an ability which a penalty which make it unplayable ???

Anyway this is not currently the great problem of AOW2,and we know it well.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]