View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
2.5x all damage, 1.5x player speed, Strategy centre 

Post 2.5x all damage, 1.5x player speed, Strategy centre
Long story short, personally, I think everything in aow2 (weapon/class-wise) is quite balanced... perhaps a little too balanced that the game seems needlessly slow.
For me, a real good game should be Fast: <20 minutes, Brutal and random (volatile to some degree): more damage, i.e. any rocket should gib a player, and snipers should instakill

This may be considered ill-concieved and radical, but I Don't you think we've been nerfing way too many things for too long? The reason people are ditching aow2, at least as I see it, is its slow gameplay. There is no blitzkreig for anyone for games larger than 5vs5, and it's getting into SD team deathmatch all the time. So, will you at least try and see if we can get more fun out of this?

Another suggestion that I propose is to make the sort of strategy centre, like in Command and conquer generals zero hour.
The idea is that your team will pick a strategy from 5 strategies. each strategy will empower players with upgrades, powerful upgrades like 40% resistance to bullet attacks, +40% building health (regarding a "hold the line" strategy), and also specific weapon systems, e.g. laser weaponry, with +50% damage upgrades.
3 strategies are more advanced and powerful and you will lose them if you lose RC. there are still 2 basic ones available, then.

IMPORTANT: These 5 strategies should be designed so that one will counter another. If a team picks a strategy that is countered by another team's strategy really badly, it should be obvious as hell to the losing team something is wrong.
Of course, teams cannot see the other team's strategy (but a panel will be in the rc and if someone sneaks in enemy rc they will see the flashing light indicating the strategy implemented.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Post Re: 2.5x all damage, 1.5x player speed, Strategy centre
I'm not too keen on the damage multiplication and instadeath, because then I'd be experiencing the Call-Of-Duty Syndrome that absolutely wrecks any game that has anything like that for me.
(If you want an example, then Crysis 2 had a lot of wasted potential. Why is it wasted? Slow movement/Low health.)

While it would be somewhat balanced off that path with the frantic speed, I'm not too keen on the insta-die-hard part of it.

The "strategy"/Loadout Plans idea sounds very interesting though. And I think the WF could be the building assigned that task.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Well... is there a server parameter that automatically make it that players deal/recieve double damage?
That could be tried out easily.
Although actually, make the player speed 2x. I'm actually only worried about stealths being so fast they are disoriented, but people can handle GvH, which is fast instakill anyway, why not this~

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 pm
Lead Artist

Because this isn't TDM/TLMS with (mostly) instakill melee classes against ranged classes.
This is TAKE THE GOD DAMN BUILDINGS DOWN mixed with TDM and various weapons.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 pm

no no no the thing is that, if players could go twice as fast, and do much more damage, they would
1: ACTUALLY TRY AND DESTROY BULIDINGS and not frag/harvest for a century before attacking, because buildings are much more fragile if you need only 4c4 to blow one up, and you don't need 100 million years to get to the other base, and one evades the obelisk with ease. Not to mention, sandbags and turrets are dead in two seconds, if you run fast enough over mines you won't die. I think the vast majority of the aow2 players know, you win the game by BLOWING UP TEH OTHER BASE!!! And now less stuff stands between each team, and that goal. (esp. that makes stealths a lot deadlier.)

2: In open battle, they would actually RUN FOR COVER and LEARN TO FLANK PEOPLE instead of TANKING. Because the radius for travel within 1-2 seconds is much larger, you can run for cover much more effectively. Ambushes will take down even the toughest player, even with an smg. That, at least, makes much more sense with me than shooting 30 machinegun rounds at someone and still not killing him.

Anyway... if you are not happy with the insta-die-hard, perhaps speed/power could be traded off for, like in tf2? just a little something I just thought of.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:51 am
>:c

leehiufugn911 wrote:
[...]one evades the obelisk with ease.

And the point of the obelisk would be....? If people can easily evade the obelisk, then it's only semi-decent as an anti-mech building and worthless against infantry.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:45 am

I think this would devolve into mindless chaos.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:03 am
Profile WWW

Isn't war chaos?
Why isn't all out war mindless chaos, then?

There is a pleasure in mindless chaos. Disagree with me if you will, but all play games that encourage chaos.
We aren't trying to reproduce real-life war games that take all day

It is most probably not the best idea in the whole universe, but it's easy to implement and easy to try... I don't understand why you don't buy into trial and error.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 pm
Lead Artist

Just started a server with the 2.5x damage/1.5x player speed.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:58 pm

it_begins.jpg

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:40 pm

um...... just tried out the test
c4 damage (on buildings)aren't also upped by 2.5 (I think they should be)

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:42 am
:/

2.5x damage with C4 is ridiculous.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Consider how a game with 2.5x c4 damage would play out... (this is all hypothetical, by the way, so no offense)
it would seem ridiculous because both teams would have stealth 4c4s taking down 2-3 of the other team's buildings, e.g. racks, ref, obe...
But once you get down to the last one or two buildings, people will defend, you know.
You will have utils and demo experts on red alert, barricading the whole buliding.
Which is not such a bad thing, considering it forces the teams (considering 5vs5) to make strategic decisions about which buildings they must protect until the end, and which ones are more or less optional, because they will be hard pressed to defend everything.
For example, refinery isn't really as important as before (if you are losing), because you can kill more or less with a rifle with 2.5x damage and you don't need much money for a rifle.
The barracks is quite important if you want now instakill classes like gauss or sniper.

In the end, it is (I think) a faster, more exciting, less cumbersome game~

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:16 am

update: I've seriously tried the test version... and only bullet weapons seem to have the 2.5x buff.
A sniper shot left a cryogenic marksman at only 50hp, whereas a hit from the rocket left him 60.
C4 is not buffed, nor is plasma cannon.
What I meant in the suggestion was... everything, literally everything. Like everybody got a strengthrune that 2.5x the damage.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:52 am
Lead Artist

Weird, guess I'll do a proper version the hard way later today.
Meanwhile, server down.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:44 am

Thank you ^^ I apologize if this seems to be much work for a test that may not work at all~

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]