View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Limiting the utilguy's C4 
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Post Limiting the utilguy's C4
Because it is kind of silly that one guy can completely trash your entire base, how hard it may be to sneak in.

Whether it should be 1 or 2, I don't know. Probably one, because "You've already got enough of these, son."

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:06 am

Post Re: Limiting the utilguy's C4
Maybe the problem is the c4 refill packs more than the number he can carry at a time...

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:20 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

It is, but helping the bros blow the living fuck out of a building feels so nice. :s

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40 am
:/

Fuck, man

I'm still up for it.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:28 pm

I assume this is regarding the new version which I can't really address, haven't played it that much. But anyway I disagree. If you manage to sneak into base as util, which is hard, and manage to produce enough c4's to blow a building your effort should definitely be rewarded.

In r2539 this is a seldom happening. Although I have seen it happening in games with low player count which sometimes kills the game.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 am
>:c

I think the problem is the lack of defences/quality of defences that makes it so damned dangerous, especially in the new build. Turrets seem to take a fair amount of time to react at times, and without the right amount/placement of sandbags (which will be made worse if the people voting for sandbag limits get their way) it can be easy for the invader to slip past or destroy the turret without dying themselves. Couple that with players' tendencies to not really notice things happening in their own base unless it's a troll nuke....

Of course, the newest build's mines don't make this any better. Somebody's "bright" idea to make them explode if any sort of damage is inflicted on them makes them worthless against all but the most careless of players (as opposed to worthless against stealths/laser rifle holders that can safely shoot them), so good luck having them help prevent util mass bombings.

I'd have to agree with K[.....] though. In all honestly, (at least lately) troll players have been placing troll nukes and troll c4-ing turrets and blockades far more often than a crafty util has ever made it into a base and proceeded to destroy things.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:06 am

Rhydon wrote:
Of course, the newest build's mines don't make this any better. Somebody's "bright" idea to make them explode if any sort of damage is inflicted on them makes them worthless against all but the most careless of players (as opposed to worthless against stealths/laser rifle holders that can safely shoot them), so good luck having them help prevent util mass bombings.

Any lasers or repair guns safely disarm any proxies in <1 second, which is pretty ridiculous for 'defense.'

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:07 pm

I didn't say the old (or, as it were, "current") system was perfect either, but it's better than letting every single weapon not only disarm, but detonate the mines. Oh, and friendly fire applies here, so it's pretty easy for a troll (a common occurrence on the servers these days) to blow the mines up in the face of a well-meaning util guy. In a community that at best can get ~20 players online at a time, all of which are pretty eager to quit out of a server if a map they don't like doesn't get voted, if an overplayed map is voted for, or... just about any reason at all... do we really need yet more things to up the rage factor?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:02 am

mines that you blow up only hurt the enemy team and yourself

the more you know _-*

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:26 pm

Still a pain in the ass if someone detonates all the proxies. Don't they still hurt razors/sandbags too?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:46 pm

So the thing I've noticed changed on the current BE server running the beta3 is that there is no 5-minute delay for when you can throw C4. Instead this delay has been placed on the buying of C4 in res center.

That means that an early Demo exp can inflict a lot of damage. Or a util who's refilling his 2 C4s.

In that case I don't have anything against limiting the c4 of the Util, as long as he can buy more in the res later. Actually he could even have zero c4 to start with but be able to buy 4. After all he is a Utility guy not a destruction machine. :)

The demo exp could still pose a problem though.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:25 am

K4r4t3k4n4k4s wrote:
The demo exp could still pose a problem though.

it is a problem...is there anything that we can do about this?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:30 am
Profile YIM

If some Util or Demo reach the base is problem of the players.
If everybody goes to attack and nobody check their own base, the problem is how players plays.

The util isn't fast, isn't invisible, and is not powerfull... so is not easy infiltrate.
If some util take 2 or more buildings, is becouse nobody has took care of their own base.
Doesn't like that some util take your buildings? so you must think in your own base instead just go out and make frags.

Shouldn't change the game to facilitate us win, just we must improve.

Util is really nice how it is.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Right, it's a matter of playing the game as an objective based competitive game, not a 90 minute deathmatch where every match lasts into SD and comes down to which team can get more frags or which team can lose tickets more quickly because some moron keeps piloting mechs and ignoring the eject function.

Just today, a team I was on got destroyed, and why? The obelisk got mass-c4'd to oblivion because the team's util was busy building sandbags on the tib hill or something and nobody else paid a lick of attention to the unprotected obelisk. Somebody in a wolverine decided to destroy the util stairs leading up to the tib field and blow up all the sandbags guarding the tunnel, letting an untold number of red stealths waltz right into the base. Any time the sandbags would be put back up, someone would destroy them regardless of the team they were on. The majority of the team was just running up to mid to try to fight there, and failing because red's obelisk wasn't nuked from orbit. Players need to improve their awareness and stop treating AOW2 like a 90 minute deathmatch where you votemap to the same two maps over and over to spend the whole time running SSG, not nerf everything that's effective against buildings.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:12 am

Util C4 spam is not that much of a problem if you know how to secure your base. If there's a util that wants to infiltrate your base, he has to remove all the defenses that were put to prevent him. If you put your defenses properly you'll know when someone is trying to get in your base. It's not like the util guy is stealth anyway (unless he gets a crate).

Fri May 03, 2013 1:18 am

bad idea.
c4spam util work only vs noob util or without util base.

Sat May 04, 2013 12:06 am
Isabel

xstreet wrote:
bad idea.
c4spam util work only vs noob util or without util base.

Agree...

Sun May 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Konda wrote:
Util C4 spam is not that much of a problem if you know how to secure your base. If there's a util that wants to infiltrate your base, he has to remove all the defenses that were put to prevent him. If you put your defenses properly you'll know when someone is trying to get in your base. It's not like the util guy is stealth anyway (unless he gets a crate).

Demogun > All

Turrets are 0 threat if dispatched correctly with lasers, and proxies are a joke. The sandbags don't make much noise either. Not to say I'm necessarily disagreeing, just saying that "proper" defenses aren't as versatile/effective as previous builds.

Tue May 07, 2013 5:37 am

Well, at least they can serve as an alarm, that can be big help. And it also narrows down the infiltrator classes to stealth, demoman, repairmen/technicians, and utility guys. Still a lot better than nothing.

Thu May 23, 2013 11:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]