View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
mech "sealing" (+ adv tib harv (+ beacons)) 
bloo obulsk dusted

Post mech "sealing" (+ adv tib harv (+ beacons))
hello.

one thing that has always bugged me about the game is how resilient certain mechs are to just about anything, and how there's almost no chance to take advantage of the ticket reward once you finally bring them down. the worst of it is that it isn't usually an issue in practice because most people don't eject when they're supposed to!

i propose the following: "seal" someone into their mech once its health gets to a certain point; they've taken so much damage that the doors or whatever melted. maybe not when they start smoking, that's only feasible for something really weak like the orca. for a titan, maybe it should be more like 1000hp or so.

as for the ath... i'm not sure i like that it has chem autorifle now. i guess it's appropriate in a way, but with tib fields trying to be more open, it's a lot harder to use an autorifle efficiently; plus, it seems weird that comb autorifle doesn't have such symmetry (unless it does and i missed something). personally i'd like the machine guns back; i think that fits better with machine gunner having the flak jacket.

i can't think of anything else at the moment... your thoughts?

edit: oh yeah, ion/nukes... do those still have hilarious range? i hope that's a bug. please please please don't let that stick either way, they are out of control. (edit: the c4 disarming thing is really bad too)

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:31 am
the All Out War 2 pro

Post Re: mech "sealing" (+ adv tib harv (+ beacons))
I think the c4 disarming was unintentional, unfortunately the nukes aren't (super beacons), iirc it might be cvared though.

Code:
[20:31] <Synert> so yeah thanks dusk
[20:31] <Synert> for accidentally setting him on my forums
[20:31] <Medicris> dying
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v
[20:32] <Dusk> hahaha
[20:33] <Eric> truly a fate worse than banning

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Synert wrote:
unfortunately the nukes aren't (super beacons), iirc it might be cvared though.

They are.

Code:
aow_nukesupreme 0/1

EDIT: It's 0 (off) by default. My bad.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:48 am

I have heard many complaints but super beacons are cool and can totally turn a game within a minute 8-) Also you can use creative placement and still kill off stuff.

They certainly contribute to making games shorter, and (hopefully) make people OK with continued play despite a few buildings lost (and not rage quit like silly willys).

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:04 am

Medicris wrote:
It's 1 by default.

It's disabled by default, it's just that it's set to 1 on the beta 3 server.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
the All Out War 2 pro

I think they could work, though there's a few issues with being able to quite easily stick one outside, defend it and blow up a building- hardly takes any effort. On a couple of maps there are also a few places where it can't be disarmed yet will still take out buildings.

Code:
[20:31] <Synert> so yeah thanks dusk
[20:31] <Synert> for accidentally setting him on my forums
[20:31] <Medicris> dying
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v
[20:32] <Dusk> hahaha
[20:33] <Eric> truly a fate worse than banning

Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Synert wrote:
I think they could work, though there's a few issues with being able to quite easily stick one outside, defend it and blow up a building- hardly takes any effort. On a couple of maps there are also a few places where it can't be disarmed yet will still take out buildings.

That's called tunnel beaconing and it's a thing in Ren. It's usually a bannable offense and the person's usually kicked and has his beacon disarmed.

In my eyes, a beacon should be able to instakill a building if placed immediately outside of one. Not instakilling three buildings when placed in a big space between three buildings or outside a wall. It should definitely hurt the building that way, like, half-health or the like, but the instakill range should stay "in or beside a building".

That way tunnel beacons won't instakill buildings, but still serve a purpose in clearing defenses and hurting buildings. If the enemy's really camping and won't let the game end, then multiple tunnel beacons can be used to kill a building/draw the campers out and move the game along.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:53 pm
>:c

Quote:
one thing that has always bugged me about the game is how resilient certain mechs are to just about anything, and how there's almost no chance to take advantage of the ticket reward once you finally bring them down. the worst of it is that it isn't usually an issue in practice because most people don't eject when they're supposed to!

I'm going to have to disagree. This new build has seen mechs go from "too easily destroyed by arty cannons" to "actually worth the credits spent", and I'd hate to go back to the time where a 600 credit class or a gunman with the arty cannon could absolutely decimate any mech because none have an effective anti-infantry weapon. (New build's Titan's flamethrower is pretty nice though.)

I'm going to have to second Medicrisis's beacon idea as well. The current choices are the "does absolutely nothing (to buildings) unless it's practically glued to the MCT" type and, well...

(@ 9:30, since time embed doesn't work)

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Mechs (and players) should cost tickets to spawn, not to die. That would solve your problem.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:16 am

Qent wrote:
Mechs (and players) should cost tickets to spawn, not to die. That would solve your problem.

This is an interesting idea. Though, game end when someone buys a mech ? I see troll potential 8-)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:16 am
:/

Medicris wrote:
In my eyes, a beacon should be able to instakill a building if placed immediately outside of one. Not instakilling three buildings when placed in a big space between three buildings or outside a wall. It should definitely hurt the building that way, like, half-health or the like, but the instakill range should stay "in or beside a building".

I disagree. This defeats pretty much all purpose of strict-MCT placing. Not as you completely nerf it, but maybe not 100% it, but 85~ish?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]