View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Medics can see team health 
Used to be Stalin

Post Medics can see team health
Marchenoir asked if I could suggest this for him.

I think it would be useful if medics could see the health of their teammates, to see who actually needs help. (Includes mechs).

Can this actually be done?

Quote:
<Mobius>It's a pity Stalin can't use his rage as fuel
<Mobius>He could fly to the moon with it

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:21 pm
In God We Twist

Post Re: Medics can see team health
If medics can see health, why not let the whole team see each others health? And speaking of which, Why not let the health of your team mates be displayed when you look at them? Or better yet, maybe we could show icons depicting our health level, whether it be low, medium, or full.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:34 pm
The AOW2 Janitor.

Well, I remember Voltlock released an ACS script where you could see enemy health when you aimed at them, I imagine it can't be that hard to put in a check to see if the player is a Medic and change up the script to see player health, but I could be mistaken.

----------------------------
Projects:
OMP: Opposition Multipurpose Wad (Primary Developer)
AOW 2: Omega (Tester)

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 pm
In God We Twist

Also, you could have it register to which team you are on, and whether or not you can see the health of the opponent.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 pm
Used to be Stalin

Medics are healers. They are special. Why should everyone else get this? Personally I don't want more shit in my screen. But as a medic, you are intended to heal people and thus would be a nice idea.

Quote:

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:15 pm
:/

Quote:
If medics can see health, why not let the whole team see each others health? And speaking of which, Why not let the health of your team mates be displayed when you look at them? Or better yet, maybe we could show icons depicting our health level, whether it be low, medium, or full.

Like mass coop except with more clutter. You want to take up even more of my small screen? :/ I think that medic only are fine.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:44 pm
Some L00nt!ck

This sounds nice but perhaps a little unhelpful by itself... If possible, you can give the more injured allies some kind of marking only the medic can see so they know who to heal. It would be nice to make this class something people will try to use for it's actual purpouse and make this more of a tactical real support class, perhaps even some rewards for healing people (Something like a credit boost similiar to the engineer's boost while repairing not including the exp). In order for it not to be abused you can restrict the reward only for infantry and other allies.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:53 pm
:/

Red blood scars on the back of the sprite?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:55 pm
Some L00nt!ck

I think only the medic should see it (If it's possible to do) and something a little more clear if possible.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:59 pm
In God We Twist

'RifleMan wrote:
I think only the medic should see it (If it's possible to do) and something a little more clear if possible.

An icon above them, like the medals...

Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:42 am
Some L00nt!ck

Yeah, I was thinking about something in that nature. But it should only be visible to the medic or to the rest of the team (As in not to immidiately mark a chance for an opponet attack)

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:17 am
Wy Hai Thar!

I'm thinking of a team interface - similar to MMO's. It'd be a client-side script (can be toggled) that would show the health of your team mates, and could be updated every tic. It would not show numbers either (unless you specifically told it to), it could actually show health bars.

And along these lines, something like this might be useful outside of medics. Just think of the teamwork aspect of it - if you were some plasma cannoneer and you knew your buddy Juggernaut was in trouble, and saw his health go red, would you not rush out in front of him to try and save him from his antagonists?

Also, the maximum number of team mates ideally (if teams are balanced) would ever reach 15. With a name/health bar setup (and maybe 1 blank line in between), it should ideally never exceed more than 30 or 45 lines on the right side of the screen - and even then it could be split. This would be exceptionally useful for people with widescreen monitors.

Spectators could optionally have it even cooler, where they see the health of everyone in the game, however the team-on-connect bug needs to be fixed for that to work properly.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:44 am
Used to be Stalin

Sort of like the donation menu except with health? ie you can see your teams money going on and monitor your entire team by scrolling without killing your screen space

Quote:

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:20 pm
Wy Hai Thar!

My method was still a screen space killer, but I could probably change the donation menu to show players' health too... o.o

Anyway, if you've ever played WoW or Cabal Online or EverQuest, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's pretty simple - Name, Health Bar. It'd be on the right side of the screen.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:54 pm
Used to be Stalin

Never played, although with a lot of action I wouldn't like much of my screen space going down.

Quote:

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Only thing I could imagine is colour coded numbers representing each of your teammate's health moving over your screen.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Profile WWW

I think the medic should see his teammate's health only by aiming them.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:41 pm
Derp.

I think that the players' names should change color instead of a having a health bar or numbers. For example, when a player's health is below 25% (like PrBoom's health system), their name would be colored red, to represent they need immediate healing.

Occasional inspector of the All Out War 2 Wiki.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:19 am
In God We Twist

104 wrote:
I think that the players' names should change color instead of a having a health bar or numbers. For example, when a player's health is below 25% (like PrBoom's health system), their name would be colored red, to represent they need immediate healing.

What about color codes? \ca \cb \cwhatever

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:32 am

Stalin wrote:
I think it would be useful if medics could see the health of their teammates, to see who actually needs help. (Includes mechs).

Can this actually be done?

Well, in Mercenaries, I made it so that Medics can see the health of their teammates displayed on their hud over top their teammates' actual sprites, and they can even see it through walls so that they know where their teammates are (like WolfTeam). I used the HudMessageOnActor function, and it actually worked out pretty well. Except the only problem is that it's very hacky and sometimes flickers erratically when there are too many numbers being displayed onscreen at once. I think it might also lag the server a bit, although i'm not sure exactly how much bandwidth HudMessage scripts consume ...

Anyways. Even if you don't use that method of implementation, i still agree with this suggestion because it would be very useful.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next