View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Laser Chaingun for Juggernauts 
A.K.A Arcodios

Post Laser Chaingun for Juggernauts
Is this an improvement to an already-existing feature, or a new feature entirely?
It’s a new feature.

If an improvement, what original feature is it improving upon?
N/A

How would this work?
Instead of having an instakill gauss weapon for the juggernaut's armament (in which that has been removed builds ago) I think adding a laser-type weapon that doesn't have the ability to kill with one shot could be more promising. Basically it’ll be a laser chain gun that has 500 rounds for the juggernaut to use. It’ll take about a 2.5 second load time and the speed will be just as equal to the infantry version. The only differences is that it would do more damage and it will have both a loading and the cool down time.

Can you give an example in how useful this feature would be?
It would hopefully solve the gap for the juggernaut's close-quarters-combat that has been looming since the removal of the gauss.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Post Re: Laser Chaingun for Juggernauts
I absolutely DON'T agree with this suggestion.
The Juggernaut needs something like that or the mini-nuke will remain the only way to kill the enemies.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:50 pm

I'd myself see the Juggernaut as a kind of building-demolisher so I'd rather give it weaponry to assault buildings with. Portable ion cannons, anybody?

Though a laser chaingun to take down infantry with could also be pretty useful.. I'm kind of on the fence here at the moment.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:31 pm
Profile WWW

Well, i am not completely sure about the juggernaut having the laser (guided) chaingun.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:42 am
Profile WWW

Nice idea. I would accept it this way.

So I would have sth against infantry again. Otherwise I would always choose titan because titan is atm in every case better than the juggernaut.

Quote:
I'd myself see the Juggernaut as a kind of building-demolisher

really? If thats the case it does way too low damage to buildings (except nuking the obelisk terminal - for that task the jugg is indeed very very useful)
I see the jug rather as a mech destroyer. With removal of the gauss, mech only, before it was good in general against units.

But for buildings I highly prefer the titan. Even the madcat is better against buildings.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

It's not that it's right now a demolisher unit, only that in my eyes it could definitely be one... considering its high price and slow movement.

Other than that, not sure what to do to the Juggernaut right now. Might try experiment something.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 pm
Profile WWW

I'm starting to like this idea a little more. Y/N?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 am

Well, the Guardian is definitely not good against infantry right now. It's only good against mechs. It's not even good as a base demolisher, but it's called the "Guardian" for a reason. I personally don't think that the Guardian should do all the work in defending the base, that is to fight against both mechs and infantry. There should be some teamwork so the Guardian concentrates on mechs while the others take out infantry guys. If you want to charge at the enemy outside your base, pilot a different mech.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:14 pm

But a Laser Chaingun isnt really a weapon with which you can do heavy damage so I dont see much of a problem here.

For me the Guardian is also as base defense useless -> If I have a mech attack by enemy the Titan and Madcats do their job very well too and are cheaper.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Not really. I've taken on multiple madcats and titans without repairs.

It really depends on if they're in range or not. It's also dependent on your projectile aiming prediction.

Perhaps an alternative would be to allow him to move while firing again, but only at half or 75% speed. Makes it harder to aim at in mech vs mech fights anyways, and any manoeuvrability is better than none at all.

Last edited by atac on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:33 pm

De-M-oN wrote:
But a Laser Chaingun isnt really a weapon with which you can do heavy damage so I dont see much of a problem here.

And since we are talking about mechs, I am quite sure that people will complain that it's too weak because the normal laser chaingun is kind of weak too.. which will later result in a buff and there we go.

De-M-oN wrote:
For me the Guardian is also as base defense useless -> If I have a mech attack by enemy the Titan and Madcats do their job very well too and are cheaper.

Sorry, but this is your problem. I managed to kill a guardian plus 2 titans in AOW04 when they haven't even reached the base completely. Also you're forgetting the fact that you're not the only one defending. The fact that nobody (I guess) was defending enough at that time is your team's problem. We don't buff things because people suck at using them, or because of a team's disorganization.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:42 pm
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Perhaps make "The" Guardian a toughass mech, with perhaps 10000-12500 health.
The problem would then be that 'should' suck against infantry and against buildings.

Mechs, however - are an entirely different story.

Because currently, it's just a titan that's slightly slower and with fancier weapons.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:15 am

That's what it is at the moment. :P Except without the health.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
inatay

contradict to Konda, for me a laser Chaingun is really a weapon with ultimate damage when aiming to an opponent. 8-)

Last edited by mrkenneth on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:25 am
Profile YIM

Well, what about a 50mm mode for its twin cannons? Been thinking about that for a little while. Could make for a general attack weapon, and not entirely useless against infantry. Far from being the dominator on the field since it's so slow and can't escape a battle anyway.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Medicris wrote:
Well, what about a 50mm mode for its twin cannons? Been thinking about that for a little while. Could make for a general attack weapon, and not entirely useless against infantry. Far from being the dominator on the field since it's so slow and can't escape a battle anyway.

I think this will work better than a laser chaingun. If you want to explicitly defend your base against infantry, call some team mates or use another mech.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:15 pm

I dunno bout 50mm shells, honestly. But the Guardian may be in for a redesigning anyway, so keeping this open for now.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]