View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Makes stronger classes and mechs unlock over time 

Post Makes stronger classes and mechs unlock over time
We've been discussing stuff over IRC, and Eric came with this interesting idea: (^ read the topic title)
Code:
<Eric> idear
<Eric> how about
<Eric> classes unlock over time
<Eric> like you start with just gunman/tib harvester/engineer other scrub classes
<Eric> and like every 5 or 10 minutes more classes unlock
<Eric> same thing with mechs
<Eric> this way it's not aow2: the great orca rush

or aow2: the traditional ssgfest

I'd make the support classes (except for the util guy) be accessible from the start (engineer, technician, time cop, er I don't think there's anything else).
Code:
<Konda> I guess this means there is some time before the orca (in theory the weakest mech, orly) can be accessed too

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Post Re: Makes stronger classes and mechs unlock over time
Hmm

See this makes sense for what it's trying to do: regulate the game flow. To make things harder to abuse heavy units in early game. Personally though I think it might feel a little unnatural and anti-fun to have that team progression completely forced, if this isn't put in right. If it's done in a way that doesn't just feel like there's you're locked down to a linear game progression with no creativity, then I GUESS it's alright.

I think maybe lower default credflow and harvesting gains could help do the same. Shit, is 255 credits seriously enough? From 75 to 255? I think 75 and then 150 would suffice, or something along those lines. I hate to say it but things were harder before donating was put in, too, just people can just ask "hey donate me 900 for early game orca" which I see a lot.

basically overabundance of money is source of problem and so money is evil

Last edited by atac on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:39 am

Medic has a point there. And if I am correct, you used to get $250 and $250 for the rest of your team, including you, which then means that you get $500 per harvest. Not sure if it's like this today, but harvesters and the team are still given too much money on advanced harvesting research.

With the fact that the only way you could get kills was fragging and credflow in the very old aow2 made people make rather wise choices about their classes because they couldn't afford 5 commandos every time they respawn. If there was no harvesting nor that credit bonus today, a lot of people wouldn't have spammed the SSG class all day every day and die in like half a minute.

And constantly getting instakilled by SSGs makes you choose only the OP classes. The credit discussion should turn into a new suggestion, since huge amounts of credits players are given ruins a lot of things. Since I've been playing AOW2 since its alpha, I was monitoring the influence on gameplay by some of the new things and changes, especially in the sigma versions. So, I'd like to be the one to create a topic about this later today (can't right now). EDIT: Here it is - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=823

The time limits shouldn't be anything huge. 5 minutes max.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Yes, harvesters still get 250+250 credits.

Point being is that you're on the right track, but this whole "tech progression" through time is basically the credit system's job.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:30 am

I've been thinking that having it done Over Time could increase the match time, thus making them longer again.
IMO instead the Technical, High Tech and/or Stronger classes/mechs could all be researched at the research center.
But also making it so the buildings don't disallow classes when destroyed, but then that could make the RC the biggest target of all.

Was thinking of:
- Stealth Mechanics (Simple Stealth Suit - Stealthed only while still and crouch moving/walking)
- Adv Stealth Mechanics (Better Stealth Suit - Taking damage, changing weapons and firing de-stealths, possibly separate from basic)
^ - Plasma cannon and beacons blacklisted because of 'Interferencewith the stealth projection'
^ - Would remove the stealth weapons as it would be done via Inv Item.
^ - Make knife available to all! Like it was intended to be.
- Basic Plasma Mechanics (Possibly. For repair guns and stuff. Cheap.)
- Plasma Mechanics (Also for use of mech and hand held plasma weapons)
- Adv Plasma Mechanics (Timegun, Plasma Cannon)
^ - Not need for mechs but weapons will be unavailable until researched.
- Laser Mechanics
- Tiberium Manipulation
- Jumpjet Mechanics (Jumpjet Suit (Cannot use with heavy weapons and beacons), Orca)

You don't have to take this seriously, it's just an alternative idea to this one.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:14 am
Profile WWW
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

That actually sounds pretty cool.
An idea for how researches could be revamped however (instead of all these pesky switches), would be having a big, bad GUI for it.

Or you know, just a "Donation"-like system, except instead of players you have researches.
And then when a certain amount is reached, the research is complete.

An alternative could of course be RTS-like researches, except the more money you have in it - the faster it goes.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:08 am

I sorta want to revamp the research centre with a menu-based control instead of more switches and possibly progressive researching. What that means is that, suppose this: You start off with a turret limit of 5, you research more turrets and you get 10. Now, it can be re-researched, albeit for a bigger price, to reach 15. And again for 20.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

100 turrets :P
With the current credit system it's possible, actually... :v
I'm for progressive research as long as it doesn't affect your defenses, to enable less-than-90-munites games. But then again if there are progressive researches that give you firepower, once you get too many of these researches, defenses are useless.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Of course there'd be a cap for these researches... so you can't get more turrets researched past 20. Sorta forgot to mention that.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:09 pm
Profile WWW

This is not really the main issue ATM. If we find it necessary to consider this suggestion after we've done what we're planning to do, we'll just bring this thread back for discussion.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Post Re: [No] Makes stronger classes and mechs unlock over time
Researching higher "tiers" of infantry could be interesting, like the way it handles high tier mechs.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Post Re: [No] Makes stronger classes and mechs unlock over time
If it's something that'll come up later on, it's not closed for good... reopening this one.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]