View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
[Assigned] Crates are arse and [...] 

Post [Assigned] Crates are arse and [...]
Mod edit: Full topic title - Crates are arse and no one fights over them anymore.

So let's make them at least a little bit cooler, and they used to be a driving force behind fighting for the middlefield. Nowadays, there's not really any "golden territory" to fight for and the gameplay feels "stale", as one of the team members have said. And it's gotten so bad that almost all players mostly avoid crates now since they most often do more bad than good.

• Replace Guardian crate with Titan crate. Bonus: Guardian crates imply that Guardians are for attacking, when of course they're not. Titan crate would make it more obvious.
  • Bomb crate? It's the biggest downer since Titanic. Give the poor sap who got it the chance to take someone else with him by giving him 5 seconds to run into someone, screaming, before exploding in a Suicide Bomber blast. Speaking of which, for the love of god, make them less common.
  • Laser armor being more common as a foil against the large popularity of the gauss rifle. It's not really op since it's just armor and rare from crates, right?
  • Remove resign crates completely. Why are they there when you have Bomb crates and Disarm crates anyway? That's three kinds of crate that pretty much ends your current life.
  • Class swap crate: Removes all your weapons, and randomly gives you another class. Like, you're a minigunner, then you grab the crate and suddenly become a gaussman.
  • HP Regeneration crate being much more common.
    [*]Iron Curtain crate could use the standard Godsphere color translation. Most people more instantly fear seeing that coming towards their base. If it would be too hard on the eyes of the player, just make it non-inverted monochrome.
  • Rename the resistances. This applies to both crates and the new armor system.
    Bullet Resistance/Flak Jacket: Ballistic Vest. The name flak jacket means the ones for low velocity explosive shrapnel, stupids.
    Explosive Resistance: Flak Jacket.
    Laser Resistance: Laserproof Vest.
    Fireproof: Fireproof Suit.
    Chemical Proof: Tiberium Safety Suit.
  • REFLECTION CRATE. Projectiles simply bounce back off the player for the next few minutes. Plasma spammers get a nasty surprise when seeing their blasts bouncing back at them. Only hitscans are effective against someone who has this.
  • Speed boost crate being much more common, but only lasting say, 2 minutes.
  • Stealth Suit giving you a knife, with enhanced damage. You wouldn't get 200 seconds of stealth time like you do now, wtf.

Either that, or possible giving someone permanent translucency. Enough to find him hard to notice while passing by, but visible enough to see him obvious enough if he's running around like a tard or tries attacking you in the open.
  • In general, making the good effects of crates much more common and the bad crates as a rare surprise instead of the "well fuck I saw that resign/bomb/whatever crate coming a mile way, fuck crates"

Etc. etc.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:39 am

Post Re: Crates are arse and no one fights over them anymore.
Medicris wrote:
Replace Guardian crate with Titan crate. Bonus: Guardian crates imply that Guardians are for attacking, when of course they're not. Titan crate would make it more obvious.

Sounds good..

Medicris wrote:
Bomb crate? It's the biggest downer since Titanic. Give the poor sap who got it the chance to take someone else with him by giving him 5 seconds to run into someone, screaming, before exploding in a Suicide Bomber blast. Speaking of which, for the love of god, make them less common.

I haven't touched the probability yet, but I've done the rest of it. I also went a bit further and made it cause a kamikaze explosion. :P Not sure if it's a good idea to do that though...

Medicris wrote:
Laser armor being more common as a foil against the large popularity of the gauss rifle. It's not really op since it's just armor and rare from crates, right?

Sounds cool to me...

Medicris wrote:
[*]Remove resign crates completely. Why are they there when you have Bomb crates and Disarm crates anyway? That's three kinds of crate that pretty much ends your current life.

To be honest, yeah.. the resign crate is just another version of the bomb crate.

Medicris wrote:
[*]Class swap crate: Removes all your weapons, and randomly gives you another class. Like, you're a minigunner, then you grab the crate and suddenly become a gaussman.

I actually had this idea a while back. I'll probley do this at one point but the class scripts remain to be such a mess at the moment that this isn't feasible. Maybe after I rework the class scripts this can be done.

Medicris wrote:
[*]HP Regeneration crate being much more common.

Was replaced by healing radius crate. I dunno tho, maybe it could be brought back..? I'm not certain on this one.

Medicris wrote:
[*]Iron Curtain crate could use the standard Godsphere color translation. Most people more instantly fear seeing that coming towards their base. If it would be too hard on the eyes of the player, just make it non-inverted monochrome.

Impossible - to have the player sprite translated, hardcoded color maps need to be used. The inverted map was deemed to be too hard on the eyes, the green map it uses now is the closest alternative.

Medicris wrote:
[*]Rename the resistances. This applies to both crates and the new armor system.
Bullet Resistance/Flak Jacket: Ballistic Vest. The name flak jacket means the ones for low velocity explosive shrapnel, stupids.
Explosive Resistance: Flak Jacket.
Laser Resistance: Laserproof Vest.
Fireproof: Fireproof Suit.
Chemical Proof: Tiberium Safety Suit.

If you do the announcer entries... :P
Scratch that. Only one problematic is the bullet resistance one..

Medicris wrote:
[*]REFLECTION CRATE. Projectiles simply bounce back off the player for the next few minutes. Plasma spammers get a nasty surprise when seeing their blasts bouncing back at them. Only hitscans are effective against someone who has this.

Problem: +REFLECTIVE makes you still take the direct damage from the blast. Other than that, sure.

Medicris wrote:
[*]Speed boost crate being much more common, but only lasting say, 2 minutes.

Sounds good to me... I'll wait for more opinions though

Medicris wrote:
[*]Stealth Suit giving you a knife, with enhanced damage. You wouldn't get 200 seconds of stealth time like you do now, wtf.

You get 200 seconds? That's impossible... I'm fine with adding the knife, though.

Medicris wrote:
Either that, or possible giving someone permanent translucency. Enough to find him hard to notice while passing by, but visible enough to see him obvious enough if he's running around like a tard or tries attacking you in the open.

This we should keep later for a further stealth discussion overall...

Medicris wrote:
[*]In general, making the good effects of crates much more common and the bad crates as a rare surprise instead of the "well fuck I saw that resign/bomb/whatever crate coming a mile way, fuck crates"[/list]

I guess giving bad crates less probability would help that... I'll wait for more opinions on this matter, though.

I'll throw in an idea myself: how bout a jumpjet crate?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:13 pm
Profile WWW

Also hm. Maybe we should rid the bad crates entirely and make the powerup crate be exactly what it says on the tin, a powerup crate? Tho in such a case they should be a tad rarer entirely..

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Dat Minigun

Needs more set armor choosing
:v

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:52 pm

I concur. Having entirely good crates would promote fighting for the crate and teams fighting for the middle area.
HOWEVER I would propose that if bad crates were gotten rid of entirely, probably when you are near a crate you need to press a button, then wait something like 2.5 seconds to "open" the crate before you can obtain it, during which you are destealthed if you were stealth, you cannot attack, but you can move around. if you are killed in this state the crate just falls to the ground.
this is to prevent lame ppl from picking the fastest class and running at the crate trololol

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Risk. vs. reward. It makes most of the guys with stealth + nuke avoid crates.
I'm cool with all the ideas Medic suggested except for reflection crate. Medic, if we look at the special cases like giving the plasma cannon spammers what they deserve, imagine if a plasma cannon spammer got one? You can't fight fire with fire in that case, that is attempt to kill him with his own weapon. This crate would make ravens and titans useless. they're projectile only mechs. As well as some classes like plasma guy (unless he has a good enough hitscan weapon to back himself up). Also, doesn't obelisk fire very fast projectiles instead of hitscan? :V The idea is cool, but I think it might fuck up too many things.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

I'll go ahead and drop the multiple crate spawns idea.

Basically I think it'd be cool if there were multiple powerup crates in the maps, being spawned by specific crate spawns.
Perhaps A_Wander-ing, Height 1 +FLOORHUGGER-s.

Just two choices about how they behave.
1 - They spawn a crate, and kill themselves. Picking up a powerup crate leaves a new one. (I'd even go as far as suggest dropped crates to do the same, because seriously. :V)
2 - They spawn crates (very) rarely, but keep on walking.

The first one sets a hard limit on crates, whilst the second can potentially have quite a bunch of crates lying around.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Or crates could disappear after a set amount of time such that there are always a constant number on the map at any given time.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:54 am
Dat Minigun

bring back aow1s random crate spawns.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:58 am

I was thinking more about special spots. That is, if I get convinced enough to do that...

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
:/

Reflection Crate -> viewtopic.php?f=35&t=270

(Snipped out quotes to save space)

Oh the fucking irony.

Last edited by lawa001 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:05 pm

That is completely different from the reflection crate in this thread. For one thing it wouldn't affect snipers at all.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Qent wrote:
That is completely different from the reflection crate in this thread. For one thing it wouldn't affect snipers at all.

Not really, it's not completely different. This just doesn't include hitscan is all.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:47 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Are we talking about the crate in this thread?

If so, then it's completely different.
Because it doesn't directly damage the enemy, only if their missiles bounce off and hits them. (And that's really infrequent when you know how reflection works.)

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 am

And also they might have to take full damage even from shots that reflect. (Although wouldn't zeroing damagefactors fix that?)

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:59 am
the All Out War 2 pro

Dusk wrote:
I was thinking more about special spots. That is, if I get convinced enough to do that...

Couldn't you just spawn them at map points using ACS?

Dusk wrote:
Also hm. Maybe we should rid the bad crates entirely and make the powerup crate be exactly what it says on the tin, a powerup crate? Tho in such a case they should be a tad rarer entirely..

Crates can wreck games enough as they are already, tbh

Code:
[20:31] <Synert> so yeah thanks dusk
[20:31] <Synert> for accidentally setting him on my forums
[20:31] <Medicris> dying
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v
[20:32] <Dusk> hahaha
[20:33] <Eric> truly a fate worse than banning

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Synert wrote:
Dusk wrote:

Couldn't you just spawn them at map points using ACS?

I believe that using special spots would allow for more simplicity. Instead of needing yet another tagging system as well as manually respawning the crate, could just define "use these spots for the crate and be done with it".

Synert wrote:
Dusk wrote:

Crates can wreck games enough as they are already, tbh

It was just a thought. :P

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:56 pm
Profile WWW

Blox wrote:
Are we talking about the crate in this thread?

If so, then it's completely different.
Because it doesn't directly damage the enemy, only if their missiles bounce off and hits them. (And that's really infrequent when you know how reflection works.)

Oh, my apologies, I misinterpreted the meaning of this crate. By all means, go for this one. Sorry.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:14 am

Most of the bad crates have already been axed or turned into cool crates. And we also have a couple of new good crates! And this is certainly not the end of that!

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Post Re: [Being done]Crates are arse and no one [...]
It's not completely resolved, though. Reopening this.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next