View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Discussion: Orcas (And mechs in general) 

Post Discussion: Orcas (And mechs in general)
Orcas have been generally agreed upon that they could use a bit more spice when it comes to their weapons and gameplay.

So here's some ideas that were put out from various members of the team :U

About mechs in general
  • More refined ejecting and re-entering system! Here's how it could work in theory:
    1. Get in mech
    2. Get in a fight or something, get damaged to say around 40% HP
    3. Upon ejecting, it checks your HP through increments of 25 or 20%. (Not 100%? Check if above 75%. Not above 75%? Check if over 50%. Not over 50%? Check if over 25%. Yes, it's above 25%. Spawn mech actor that gives 25% health upon entering.)
    4. Your mech is still savable! It's shootable by the enemy, but savable!
    4a. If under 25% HP they can just turn into an explosive husk like always.
  • Ability for empty mechs to be repaired!
    - Could be done with damagetypes and deathstates, like mines. "Repair damage" deathstate could spawn a mech with the next step up in HP, effectively being able to heal empty mechs.
    - Meanwhile, ejected mechs will still be fragile: Since due to the system above, an empty mech can only take 25% total damage before it simply blows up.
  • Means engineers and technicians can be used to pilot mechs, going to a decently safe place to exit and repair your mech...
  • But watch for the element of stealths (or just sneaky players) stealing them while you repair.
  • Anti-mech weapons don't need nerfing if introduced. Heck, they could even be buffed.

About the Orca
  • Demo video
  • Could have refurnished weapons:
    - Primary: An autocannon of sorts. Performs its job as an anti-personnel weapon with minor splash damage, and takes more skill to be good with than an accurate 20-damage hitscan MG. Less effect against mechs. Limited ammo to prevent long camping. The nublets abusing Orcas due to minimum of skill and players deriding its use because of it? No longer an issue.
    - Secondary: Twin Enchanced Missile Launchers, limited in number and lower range but have high damage on mechs and buildings, if they're in range. MAYBE self-detonate after certain distance.
  • Ability to eject and not have the aircraft instantly die, and able to be stolen. STEALING ORCAS.
  • They'd simply hover at ground level when ejected, unless they're have <25% HP due to above
  • POSSIBLE price increase due to overall effectiveness, especially because Raven fills fast scout role very well now. Hell, Orcas and aircraft in Renegade's All Out War mode cost 900. Now compare that to 800 for a Medium Tank and 1500 for a Mammoth Tank. The fact that it's airborne is a big advantage. Who knows, maybe the balance could work out.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:30 am
The Undead Queen B

Post Re: Discussion: Orcas (And mechs in general)
i like your opinion, but maybe the orcas should be less powerful? Orca Spamming in the begining of the match can be annoying for anyone, buts thats just my opinion :|

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Can the machinegun FINALLY stop having voltcode and be balanced?

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

Music project back up : Needing a new host.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Duuuuuuh. That's what I'm trying to do, make its machinegun not ridiculous and enhancing its missiles. I'm not trying to buff it.

I was thinking of making it cost a little more too if it can't be made reasonable for its price, which I don't think it is even now.

Personally the thing is worth at least 1000$. That's a Commando right there. Four digits makes it seem more expensive and more careful to use (like how stores use the $_.99 trick to make things seem cheaper), making people think twice about spamming them.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:27 pm
The Undead Queen B

Heh, medicris, your new profile pic is haylarios. :D

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Economy issue again: If we fix it, we won't see orca spamming again, and it'd be nice to actually have a useful mech for big money (according to the upcoming economy standards). This needs feedback.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:12 pm

If that's going the case, mechs are either going to need a price decrease or be made worth their $2000. They're almost not worth the $2000 now even with the economy we have now, if I save up $2000 with drastically lowered money flow then it better be worth the two commandos in cost.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Updated original post with a loadout that's sure to make "orcafags" learn to aim.

Also, a video showing it.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Well I did do some weird stuff to it a while ago; and here's the file.

Changes: The mounted machinegun is less omfginstadeath, also spreads out some more.
Homing rockets (also really damn effective ones) alike to the missile launcher's. So watch the fuck out.

Also, they are quite affected by explosions; so be careful not to get blasted away! :p

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Well, the difference between a wider-spreading hitscan and a more accurate projectile is that how it's aimed doesn't change: a hitscan's still a hitscan. With a wider spread on the current gun, wouldn't it be more effective to fly in their face pointing in their general direction, than never hit anything at range no matter how good your aim is? What if the lessened bullet damage encouraged ram+shoot wildly as a melee tool even more?

Iunno. But anything's better than what we've got right now (being basically unchanged since extreme early days).

As for the missiles, I'll give em a shot. If they're on par with the Missile Launchers they better not have 60 ammo, just one of those missiles is barely less potent against mechs as a fartycannon shot. Not to mention those basically oneshot laser inf and 90-damage the rest. I just really hope it doesn't turn out to be a 1000 HP 60-homing-80mm-artillerycannon flying craft.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:20 pm
Lead Artist

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I cut off one third of the machinegun ammo, and half the missile ammo. (They're also fired slower.)

As for the machinegun, I'd like to find a nice balance for it (not way too weak, but not rofl either.) - unfortunately, I haven't ever had a chance to test this.
So it's not like I can do anything more to it, other than waiting to test it. :?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:39 pm
Lead Artist

Here's an orca with a AC2-like thingy instead of the machinegun.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Imma be honest with you for a second. It seems much more powerful than the current one, but not necessarily the main weapon.

It's mostly the 300dps ramming damage and the fact that the missiles are much more potent against any type of enemy, not just mechs or buildings (and they didn't do much damage to buildings anyway).

I wonder... if the main cannon was for infantry and the rockets had less ammo, but could lock on at a longer range? There's a reason the Longbows (that had the same missiles) only had 8 rockets.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:22 am

Random idea: in addition to crushing infantry, Orcas take severe damage from hitting infantry or walls.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:55 pm

I feel like this is important to understand where I'm coming from

Code:
<Medicris>Yeah I think things are fine the way they are for orca movement
<Medicris>Cept for the whole "ram people to do the most damage possible"
<Medicris>so everyone just rams and holds M1 to instakill people in tunnels and shit
<Medicris>if orcas didnt do any more damage up close than from farther away, people will be naturally inclined to stay at a distance as an orca to be able to avoid fire better
<Qent>that'd work
<Qent>but orcagun spread
<Medicris>Didja check the vidya I posted? New gun, not hitscan
<Qent>ooh remember the old old orca that had the bug where its primary was perfectly accurate?
<Qent>oh
<Qent>i didn't know we were going with that for sure
<Medicris>None of this is for sure, but I'm hoping for it to be
<Qent>projectiles are still more accurate up close though :P
<Medicris>cuz srsly orcas are ghei
<Qent>flamboyant homosexual vtols
<Medicris>Well, projectiles may be more accurate up close, but it lets them still remain good at a distance if you can aim well
<Medicris>Unlike a hitscan, which forces you to be closer to do damage DESPITE having the aim to do better
<Medicris>hence bringing them closer to enemies again, and most likely ending up in the same behaviour (lol get in yo face and shoot)
<Medicris>The explosive projectiles would hurt you if you tried that, so that rules that out and makes it best at midrange

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]