View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Remove Restrictions on Nukes (Accidental Essay #3351) 

Yes or no?
Yeah 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Nope (Say why, at least) 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 9

Remove Restrictions on Nukes (Accidental Essay #3351) 

Post Remove Restrictions on Nukes (Accidental Essay #3351)
So like.

You know those good old ion/nuke beacons. They're useful, aren't they? You pay up $1750 to buy one, but that forbids your teammates from getting one too. It also means you must wait several minutes before you can buy another. Furthermore, they must be placed right next to the MCT, meaning that the chances of being able to place one are slim with the Utility guys and their obstacles clogging up all of the buildings and base entrances.

Teamwork? Well, while doing all of this you must remain unnoticed and silent, which means trying to tag along some teammates for backup is generally just as likely to get you noticed and get all of you killed.

Oh boy, now you've busted into the building, made made the Obelisk and turrets blare and generally made a whole lot of noise, pewpew sounds and explosions, yet somehow no one's noticed. Okay great, you kneel down, place your beacon, and oh god--

You can see how this usually ends up.

You know, the concept of beacons has changed. Instead of a way to really break the ice on a stale game, or a large threat, they've sort of become trivial or a distraction for stealth C4/mech rushes or something. The old beacons were balanced in the time before Util Guys.

A solution: Well, what if you could buy a beacon, even if another guy did? What about adding some new, yet expensive and risky way to break the ice in a game where everyone's getting bored? We have mechs, we have C4, the beacons aren't scary until SD comes. They aren't even that great unless they're right on the MCT.

How would they be treated if beacons were able to be bought one per person, and remove the waiting timer on buying another one? That, and if external beacons did more or instakilled (they do like 30% damage sitting right next to a barracks, in AoW's father game they instantly blow up any building, hurr). That way, if a team really has the money and resources, and the teams are just fragging, a bunch of people can all buy beacons, and rush a building with multiple beacons. Or, they could make the risky delivery of planting one where the rest of the team can see it, and have your teammates attack any repairers from outside, meaning they have to split up to defend and disarm.

If that's too much, they could be less resistant to disarming. Either way, I have reason to think that it'd make for a seriously high-intensity situation that could break up boring matches, and make or break a match if one team fails too hard.

Sun May 13, 2012 2:12 am
:/

Post Re: Remove Restrictions on Nukes (Accidental Essay #3351)
Hmm, what if the timer was reduced by 100 seconds or eliminated should the carrier die before they can plant it? Only if they plant it should the timer be in full effect. OR remove the safety lock or whatever and just make the altfire removal.

Also, I am against your idea, as one of the very old builds had this, and had caused extreme amounts of lag. What about smaller maps like AOW07, where the Tib is very easily accessible? That just makes it more prone to spam and lag.

Sun May 13, 2012 3:01 am

lawa001 wrote:
OR remove the safety lock or whatever and just make the altfire removal.

The safety lock was added since people ended up accidentally planting beacons - with them in inventory, that became far more prone than before. It got sorta annoying. :P

I personally think that nukes should be more dangerous a threat as a single one rather than be more accessible. For accessibility, we have C4... I think that they should be this single-use, OMFG-DISARM-IT-OR-WELL-GONNA-DIE sorta things.

The way I see it, this should be fixed by restricting the utility defenses (why? they harm the entire gameplay anyway) and perhaps adding more health to it so they'd be more resistant to disarming. Alternatively, make them instakill buildings from behind, but this needs a little trickery to prevent the nuke-on-a-cliff situation.

Sun May 13, 2012 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

*cough* *cough* Edit: Updated version, now it actually works. lol

Sun May 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Post ACCIDENTAL ESSAY RESPONSE #7
TL;DR The maps' layout sucks, they need more entrances and better obelisk placement. Also everything is so noisy up to the degree of making stealth attacks only possible when a building is not spammed with defenses and that crap. To fully understand my point, I suggest you read my essay below:

Sun May 13, 2012 1:00 pm

While I agree that the obelisk is unnecessarily powerful in AOW04, I don't think all maps are at fault here.. two entrances should be good for most purposes.

Quote:
However, it's not all the maps' fault. Taking down anything inside buildings (or at their doors), as well as trying to infiltrate the base, is very alarming.

I think this is the big problem. And I think that the way to fix this is not to limit defenses down to useless levels (but still nerf them where appropriate), but give stealth troopers means to take them down silently and unnoticed. IMO, we should have turret disarmer devices, making sandbags and razorwire not explode, give mines less health...

Miniravens are a real problem IMO and need redesigning. Though, I got no clue what to do there...

Sun May 13, 2012 3:06 pm
Profile WWW

I don't think stealth should also do the job of cleaning defenses. Then taking down bases would require no teamwork. I say make everything die silently except for turrets (maybe) and miniravens, no matter what weapon kills them. Stealth should stay unchanged.

Edit: WELL THE LASER RIFLE CAN TAKE DOWN ALL DEFENSES TOO, BUT IT'S NOT AS EFFICENT AS OTHER WEAPONS AND IT'S RISKY SO IT'S BEST TO LEAVE IT TO THE TEAM MATES WITH RIGHT WEAPONS FOR THE JOB.

Sun May 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Why do sandbags explode anyway?

Sun May 13, 2012 4:43 pm

lawa001 wrote:
Why do sandbags explode anyway?

That's a very good question. It all dates back from when Voltlock added them...
There was some discussion to make shit not explode for the sake of logic, but nothing was done.

Sun May 13, 2012 4:45 pm
Lead Artist

In the universe AOW2 finds place in, gunpowder serves carbon's role.

That's why.

Sun May 13, 2012 4:47 pm
the All Out War 2 pro

I support this just because watching a team of stealths waltz through a gap in the defences and plant beacons all the way around a building would be funny as hell.

"Shit, which one do we disarm first?"

Code:
[20:31] <Synert> so yeah thanks dusk
[20:31] <Synert> for accidentally setting him on my forums
[20:31] <Medicris> dying
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v
[20:32] <Dusk> hahaha
[20:33] <Eric> truly a fate worse than banning

Sun May 13, 2012 6:58 pm
Lead Artist

Well if there's really going to be multiple beacons at once, then disarming them should be a tad easier.
Because currently it takes like 15 seconds, now add to that the time picking the class/finding it and getting there. Now add more of them. uhh

Sun May 13, 2012 7:52 pm

In that case, I wouldn't mind it if destroyed sandbag simply crumbled into decorative sandbag "gibs" that faded away after a short time.

As for razor wire. I have no idea how those should be "destroyed". Shooting wires to make them go away is weird in the first place.

Either way, what if beacons had less time before they detonated? Say, 45 seconds instead of 60? They'd also be disarmed a bit easier, and have a little bit of a smaller sound radius.

Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Medicris wrote:
Either way, what if beacons had less time before they detonated? Say, 45 seconds instead of 60? They'd also be disarmed a bit easier, and have a little bit of a smaller sound radius.

Time to redo the announcer :V

Sun May 13, 2012 11:15 pm

The announcer never explicitly states that the nuke takes a minute to reach. :v

Sun May 13, 2012 11:34 pm
Profile WWW

"Whatever beacon is deployed. You have sixty seconds to reach minimum safe distance"

Isn't it? ):

Mon May 14, 2012 2:47 am
Lead Artist

"Nuclear strike beacon deployed, warning, nuclear strike - approaching!"

Nope?

Mon May 14, 2012 5:07 am

lawa001 wrote:
"Whatever beacon is deployed. You have sixty seconds to reach minimum safe distance"

Isn't it? ):

Where the shit did that come from, because that EVA voice is from C&C: Renegade, and in that game it takes exactly 48 seconds for a beacon to blow up a building.

EDIT: Probably from a campaign mission or something.

Mon May 14, 2012 5:11 am

Hmm, probably confused with some other shit. My bad..

evayou.ogg and evasafe.ogg is what mixed me up :3

Mon May 14, 2012 5:39 am

Nukes are not the ones that need a change... Even when they're so loud, they can confuse the enemy to think it's in another building, while it's not.

Mon May 14, 2012 7:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next