View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Duel32-style map select 

Post Duel32-style map select
Code:
<Nitori>Out of curiosity, would a map selection screen be possible?
<Medicris>I doubt it
<Medicris>The closest I can imagine is the duel32-style map selection sc--
<Medicris>...why don't we do that
<Eric>because 16v16 would be annoying as fuck?
<Eric>or any amount more than 2v2 really
<Medicris>Do you know
<Medicris>What duel32 is
<Eric>durr
<Medicris>You know how they pick maps?
<Eric>imagine 32 or 20 players
<Eric>in a map like that
<Eric>jesus christ kill me now
<Medicris>Most likely it'd have a timelimit
<Medicris>and all the players would walk into their map's screen to vote for it
<Medicris>After enough time, it selects the map with the most people in it
<Nitori>well, I was just wondering because getting a shitty map without someone who can start a vote to change 'kills' games
<Medicris>Yup
<Medicris>Empties servers for sure
<Eric>whoever keeps disabling votes is stupid

Furthermore,
Code:
<Qent>since you say they're quitting because mapvotes are disabled
<Medicris>Well... yeah
<Nitori>I will quit because of it
<Medicris>When you're dropped on a map like AOW17 or something like it
<Medicris>And you can't vote
<Qent>sv_nocallvote 0; sv_nomapvote 0; sv_nochangemapvote 0
<Medicris>it's the equivalent of saying YOU WILL PLAY HERE AND YOU WILL ENJOY IT, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT
<Qent>yeah
<Medicris>Most people do not enjoy it
<Qent>some gv admins actually think that
<Medicris>and they take the "Leave it" option
<Qent>they disallow votes because of "overplayed" maps
<Qent>i'm like, maybe there's a good REASON they're overplayed?

So the concept is simple. Instead of a rigid map order which tends to make people leave (since more often than not, votes are disabled and everyone assumes they are because of it), we go for a more open-ended selection by the players to play the map they want.

And yes, before you say "LOL 02 EVERY MATCH", most people go "this map is so overplayed" when it comes up.

Theoretical method, which is similar to Duel32's method with some changes (if you never played duel32 and don't know how players select maps there, shame on you, play more Doom instead of AoW):

• 1. First, if no players in server, change map to Mapselect. Matches ending also changes the map to Mapselect.
  • 2. All players are in the center of a large room with D-32 style map windows.
  • 3. Players all vote for the map they want to play by touching the map's screen. (Optional Setting: You cannot vote for the map you just played)
  • 4. After all players have voted (they can change their vote if they wish), that map is started and the match begins.
  • 5. In the event of a total draw between two maps in votes (unlikely since that requires even number of players and each wanting two different maps equally), one of the two voted maps just gets picked randomly.
  • 6. To prevent games not being picked due to AFK guys or greifers refusing to vote, the map with the largest amount of votes gets picked after 30 seconds.

Wouldn't it be great to have each match be what the majority wants it to be, instead of throwing them into AOW17 and having most of them quit because they think mapvotes are disabled because some guy keeps disabling them? It could make game-to-game transitions nicer, and furthermore be able to track which maps get played most and which are least. It's through statistics like these we can focus on improving or removing maps that simply bloat the wad/empty servers.

Thu May 31, 2012 2:14 am
:/

Post Re: Duel32-style map select
Quote:
And yes, before you say "LOL 02 EVERY MATCH", most people go "this map is so overplayed" when it comes up.

Just like tha majority of the player base where you successfully vote to a certain map, then everyone bashes you down 10 seconds later after voting for it.

Thu May 31, 2012 2:33 am
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

I think that the optional portion of point 3 is a must have. I can totally see certain groups of people trying to play the same map/maps over and over because they can dominate newer players on it/them (maps with mechs disabled).

As for me, I would vote for AoW:18 every time without something to stop me.
I sure love being a tunnel mech.

Thu May 31, 2012 2:58 am

Sounds good.

And so aggre with this:

"... and furthermore be able to track which maps get played most and which are least. It's through statistics like these we can focus on improving or removing maps that simply bloat the wad/empty servers..."

But I'm sure of the way of Duel32 the only map will play will be:

And 2 more o 3 maybe.

The actual way to choose map is good becouse we can play all maps. I know, some maps are ugly but we can play other than overplayed maps.
And that is good. Something boring but then make u enjoy more play the better maps :D

=D

Thu May 31, 2012 7:25 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

This is definitely a thing I would like to see.

@Zajaquiel: I think you forgot AOW04 :roll:

Thu May 31, 2012 7:51 am

I see a selection menu being possible though as it's all ACS. Plus Dusk is working on the menu more anyway. Would also be less of a clusterfuck of players running around everywhere.

Edit: For those who have played UnrealTournament online with map votes would know how this would work.
Basically, everyone gets a list of maps to choose from, and the majority of 51% gets gets the win, there is also a countdown before the vote ends.
There is also a few tricks that i'm not sure is possible with ST. One of them is having the map locked out for a few matches to stop excessive replay of that map. Probably a 5 map wait could make it selectable again.
Code:
aow_vote_countdowntime (int [seconds] {Default: 60})
aow_vote_replytime (int [matches] {Default: 5})

Thu May 31, 2012 5:32 pm
Profile WWW

With the current code, I could definitely add a menu-selection for the maps, but apparently people like the idea of the lobby map more? :|

Thu May 31, 2012 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

How would a menu style selection for maps work? Would map selection occur at the end of the previous match?
I personally like the idea of a lobby map though because of the brief disconnect from the game you get, and largely because of point 1.

Thu May 31, 2012 8:04 pm
FlutterGUY :/

I persoanlly prefer the lobby map. Imagine there are people who hasn't never played AoW and/or doesn't know every maps available....

This could be the music

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:03 pm
AKA Nitori Kawashiro

That would be cool lobby music.

I'm going to suggest the RA1 map select music for the sake of nostalgia

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Great idea this. And yeah, lobby map. Preferably with full map name and screenshot of map overview, cause i dont think i will ever learn the map names/numbers :oops:

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:10 pm
Faith implies fate

There is alternative: using counter-strike style vote: choose the map and it give you list of 5 maps and you press 1-5 to choose map. Then you got reply from server choosing map finished, next map will be <aow04:glacier>. Actually I don't know time when that vote to appears. Maybe after 5 mins or no. When you choose map, map vote menu is removed, so it doesn't block screen.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:59 am
Profile WWW
Lead Artist

Except you kinda pointed the weakness of such an approach out yourself, namely that it'd only hold ~5 maps.

I can't really see how it'd be better than the Duel16/32 approach, however.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:29 am

The current in-dev menu code can hold up to 80 entries.. so that wouldn't be really a problem. One category per five maps, 01-05, 06-10, 11-15, 16-20, 21->
Item entries would hold the names of the maps, description field would have a screenshot of the map.
How's that sound?

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Lead Artist

I'd still prefer a Duel16/32 map selection, I honestly hate waddling around a menu.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:13 am

Dusk wrote:
The current in-dev menu code can hold up to 80 entries.. so that wouldn't be really a problem. One category per five maps, 01-05, 06-10, 11-15, 16-20, 21->
Item entries would hold the names of the maps, description field would have a screenshot of the map.
How's that sound?

Sounds good. We can start with this. And probe how it works :)

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:51 am
Diening slowly

To remove the chance of only map will be played like all time aow02 and aow15 make the hub get some grids blocking the selected map for 4 more rounds example:

map aow01 was selected by major of players when the map ouver and all return to hub the aow01 will be blocked of play for more 3 rounds of game forcing the players need to play other maps. (is better make cvars to it Hud_roundspermap # (4 default, 0 to remove))

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]