View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Utility Guy 

Post Utility Guy
Is this an improvement to an already-existing feature, or a new feature entirely? Improvement

If an improvement, what original feature is it improving upon? Utility Guy

How would this work? I think utility guy is one of if not the most important class in the game, however a utility guy does not get nearly enough reckognition or reward. I think utility guy should be rewarded in some way, whether it is being awarded for the kills ure turrets make, or gaining experience the longer u stay in utility, I'm not sure (this is something that would have to be further discussed)
Can you give an example in how useful this feature would be? It would encourage more players to become utility and promote strategizing and team organization/ cooperation and in my opinion make the game a lot more fun.

Lenin

Wed May 05, 2010 3:53 am
Some L00nt!ck

Post Re: Utility Guy
I full agree with this. It is preety much a shame that the player who actually bothers to become utility is not credited. To be honest I think he is the key player, because without him the team base would be defenselss and the team would lose.
I think there should be indicators after every match, about the different roles of the players (If possible.)
For example the fragger, defender, maintaince (Utility), 'Demolition expert' etc.... this would encourage more people to have other roles besides fragging or destroying bases.

Wed May 05, 2010 12:47 pm

I agree... I'm avoiding using the utility guy class these days because I get nothing from it. I only pick it if there's a very dire need of it.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Used to be Stalin

Maybe. Time for a counter.

Say you get experience and the kill money from turrets. More people start to be utility because god knows you can rack up the kills with turrets. Thus, you will have more greedy people wanting to place turrets, maxing out the limits faster without necessarily being effective. More people would likely be fucking around with the utility guns. I
imagine the defense would break down and offense would be less. Dysfunctional teams of utility guys breaking each others turrets so they can place their own.

In AOW, utility guy is like a cop in real life. It is an important job, but most of society just bitches at you for doing your job and you don't get any thanks except for a minor amount of people. Utility is the same. There are few people who respect the utility users.

Quote:
<Mobius>It's a pity Stalin can't use his rage as fuel
<Mobius>He could fly to the moon with it

Wed May 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Weelll see being awarded the kills u're turrets get wasn't the only reward i suggested, the most effective way to reward the utility is I think getting money and experience for as long as you are building turrets and such, kind of how repair guy gets credit and experience when repairing. Kills could be awarded for c4 mines which aren't as easy to abuse as turrets are. I don't know what people wuld like to see and just like any other feature you have to test it out first before making it perfect. If there was something that didn't work another improvement could be made. We must start somewhere though

Lenin

Wed May 05, 2010 6:44 pm

I'd say turrets should keep track on who placed them - if they manage to frag anybody the utility guy who put it there get the cash and experience.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Used to be Stalin

arezey wrote:
I'd say turrets should keep track on who placed them - if they manage to frag anybody the utility guy who put it there get the cash and experience.
Again though the issue of friendly turret destruction for sake of putting up your own. There needs to be a solution to that, because if this does get changed, then all possible things must be considered.

Lenin wrote:
Weelll see being awarded the kills u're turrets get wasn't the only reward i suggested, the most effective way to reward the utility is I think getting money and experience for as long as you are building turrets and such, kind of how repair guy gets credit and experience when repairing. Kills could be awarded for c4 mines which aren't as easy to abuse as turrets are. I don't know what people wuld like to see and just like any other feature you have to test it out first before making it perfect. If there was something that didn't work another improvement could be made. We must start somewhere though

Lenin
Alright.

First, if you are saying get exp and money from building (ie when the stuff is green), people could build things up to 99% complete and let it fall back down to zero and repeat the process. Most easily abused system if there ever was one.

Second, C4 patches can be disarmed by the repair gun that utility carries. Abused just like turrets as outlined above. However I do believe mines should be awarded the kill.

I'm just trying to spark some deep, creative thinking to work around this stuff here, not trying to put it down.

Quote:

Wed May 05, 2010 6:53 pm

You don't have to be awarded money and experience when its green, maybe when u have completed the building process you get it. But be realistic stalin, who would actually waste time building all the way to 99% and then not follow through? I'm aware the mines can be repaired but again that's way too much trouble for one little kill, plus most people get more out of killing people with weapons I doubt they'll go around repairing other mines and replacing them with their own, but if that happens maybe we can make it unrepairable by u're own team. Kind of how you can't hurt your own buildings any more. You gotta think logically when countering stalin you should know that...

Lenin

Wed May 05, 2010 8:31 pm
Used to be Stalin

Lenin wrote:
You don't have to be awarded money and experience when its green, maybe when u have completed the building process you get it. But be realistic stalin, who would actually waste time building all the way to 99% and then not follow through? I'm aware the mines can be repaired but again that's way too much trouble for one little kill, plus most people get more out of killing people with weapons I doubt they'll go around repairing other mines and replacing them with their own, but if that happens maybe we can make it unrepairable by u're own team. Kind of how you can't hurt your own buildings any more. You gotta think logically when countering stalin you should know that...

Lenin
I am thinking logically. When turrets or mines are at limit, you build right up to 100% until it tells you at limit. Also, you are giving people too much credit. Of course they would exploit that. Additionally, how long do things take to build? Not very long. It is an easy exploit. Further, once something is built, once you get exp and money, it is easy to just destroy it and build it again. Bear in mind some people are incapable of killing others and would rather gain exp and money by doing this.

If you are going to make the turrets/mines unrepairable by your own team, make it so they don't damage their own team. I don't know the script works about it, so I can't really comment on it.

Stalin

Quote:

Wed May 05, 2010 9:06 pm

I think the util guy should get most of his exp and cash from the repairing repair turrets do, the killing the other turret types do, and from the mines.

Wed May 05, 2010 9:08 pm

I agree with your latter statement making it not to damage your own team because that is annoying, however the way you put it is that people will be going around wasting their time trying to gain money and experience through destroying turrets and repairing mines. Lets assume that people would waste their time doing this. Okay, lets solve this by treating them as buildings and not allowing friendly damage. I think that would solve the probelm you have addressed in its entirety.

Lenin

Wed May 05, 2010 9:16 pm
Used to be Stalin

It does. However, if a utility guy fucks up and needs to move a turret, or the turret is in a particularly stupid spot, what now?

Stalin

Quote:

Wed May 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Not too worried about that, just don't mess up lol name one thing in AOW that is perfect and I will find a flaw in it, nothing is perfect stalin you're just being picky now

Wed May 05, 2010 9:41 pm

mm I thought about that bit as well.. maybe disabling team damage for turrets and mines is the only solution that is there.

Maybe penalize for the destruction of the team's own equipment? Thus, if you misplaced a turret you could fix it... but with a cost. And have the penalty be high enough for players to not consider destroying others' turrets.

Wed May 05, 2010 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Used to be Stalin

arezey wrote:
mm I thought about that bit as well.. maybe disabling team damage for turrets and mines is the only solution that is there.

Maybe penalize for the destruction of the team's own equipment? Thus, if you misplaced a turret you could fix it... but with a cost. And have the penalty be high enough for players to not consider destroying others' turrets.
I reiterate that if a turret needs moving, what now?

Lenin wrote:
Not too worried about that, just don't mess up lol name one thing in AOW that is perfect and I will find a flaw in it, nothing is perfect stalin you're just being picky now
Maybe so. But point still stands.

Quote:

Wed May 05, 2010 11:04 pm

Stalin wrote:
arezey wrote:

Then destroy it and take the penalty. You screw up and you pay for it.

Wed May 05, 2010 11:07 pm
Profile WWW

Irrelevant we're trying to make a non-existant feature available that would change the game completely and your being very very very specific, a utility guy having to destroy his/her own turret rarely ever happens trust me I know I'm utility almost every game.

Lenin

Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 pm
Used to be Stalin

Lenin wrote:
Irrelevant we're trying to make a non-existant feature available that would change the game completely and your being very very very specific, a utility guy having to destroy his/her own turret rarely ever happens trust me I know I'm utility almost every game.

Lenin
The more specific the better. It eliminates exploits before they happen. And that's nice to know you are a good utility guy :) GUESS WHAT YOUR TASK FOR TOURNAMENT IS!

arezey wrote:
Stalin wrote:
arezey wrote:

Then destroy it and take the penalty. You screw up and you pay for it.
Depends on how much your talking for punishment.

Quote:

Wed May 05, 2010 11:51 pm

lmao as i said to you in person I wanna do some offence too so someone else will have to take over for some games, maybe you? anyways that's something we will further discuss through pm

Wed May 05, 2010 11:55 pm

I have a small idea for the turret removing. Have the penalties, but also give the utility guy a deconstruction gun to remove the turrets quickly without blowing them up and not getting penalised.

Last edited by -=Dark-Slayer=- on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 06, 2010 4:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next