View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Utility Guy 

Post Re: Utility Guy
Stalin wrote:
dark-slayer-201 wrote:
Or just get little exp from building stuff. It will make them want to build like crazy.
I don't think you carefully read the thread.

nvm
but it takes a while to read lefty's posts.

Tue May 11, 2010 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Wy Hai Thar!

dark-slayer-201 wrote:

I'm sorry lefty but if you want your message to come across effectively, you need to add some "TL:DR"'s to your posts - normally I don't get tired of reading them that easily but you put way too much wording into saying very few things. This'll get you far with English class, and doing college papers, but we won't read them like that here. It's hard to read and understand the message you're trying to get across.

Tue May 11, 2010 3:17 pm

sorry for taking so long to respond I have been very busy the past few days I see there's some disagreement as to what way we should have the utility guy gain experience but we can agree on the fact that there should be some other ways in which he/she should gain experience/money/kill or w.e. Maybe a good place to start would be each person putting in an idea into the thread and from there the admins can choose one that they see would work if they choose, or maybe they laready have an idea of what they would like to do covering imbalance issues and everything.

Lenin

Tue May 11, 2010 4:38 pm
Wy Hai Thar!

It's not so much the lack of ideas, as it is technical incapability.

It's not easy to make a monster object that is not recognized as its own entity in order to give the creator credit for the damage it does.

Tue May 11, 2010 5:00 pm

hmmm so it can't just work the same way as other classes? sayy proxies award the kill in the same way that c4s or grenades?

Tue May 11, 2010 6:27 pm

No. The proxies are actually projectiles while turrets are monsters. Kind of a difference there..

Off my head, I'd say it cannot be done until Skulltag upgrades to the newest ZDoom codebase.

Tue May 11, 2010 6:34 pm
Profile WWW

Hmm, would it be possible to make the turret a projectile with 0 speed, still shootable, no colission with objects etc?

Wed May 12, 2010 2:06 am
Profile WWW
Wy Hai Thar!

That seems to be a classic case of introducing more bugs than the one you're trying to solve.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:33 am

Well, that's unfortunate, sounds like there's nothing we can do. It's okay though I still like utility guy either way, thanks, everyone for clearing all that up for me though.

Lenin

Wed May 12, 2010 4:35 pm

dark-slayer-201 wrote:

I don't blame ya XD

Eruanna wrote:
I'm sorry lefty but if you want your message to come across effectively, you need to add some "TL:DR"'s to your posts - normally I don't get tired of reading them that easily but you put way too much wording into saying very few things. This'll get you far with English class, and doing college papers, but we won't read them like that here. It's hard to read and understand the message you're trying to get across.

This is true. I'm too used to writing for debates and essays where you have to pad things out and explain one thing 101 different ways to reach x word count. It kills my eyes to read my posts back let alone write. Noted anyhoo.

Would it be possible to make an upgrade to give utility guys advanced repair guns? Almost all your exp comes from repairing, so your weaker gun isn't so great if others are repairing with adv. engineer. I think it was suggested before on the ST thread.

You do get adv. repairgun when you get to commando though. So perhaps with utility class you could lower the required rank for that "level up"?

The only concern is being able to repair enemy mines faster and of course, yourself so it's a possible balance issue.

Fri May 14, 2010 4:48 pm
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

About deconstruction ..

I like that idea, but it seems like everyone just dropped it for credits/experience-by-turrets. So I decided to post a 'possible way of doing it'. I hope you'll get it! :oops:
@Credits/Experience-by-turret-frags But as I can see, it's not possible.
..Although I already knew that it wasn't possible. [/Evil]

That 'may-be-a-possible-way-of-adding-it'.;

There are red/blue turrets - And that gives the possibility of having red/blue Deconstruction-Guns.. That deal "Red/Blue-Deconstruct" damage.
Death from 'native' deconstruct color = Half the credits back. (It should work, shouldn't it?)
Red/Blue turrets are resistant against the opposite deconstruction color. (2-5 Shots from the native, about twice/thrice as much for the opposite.)
Death from opposite color gives 'you' credits (or experience?) that equals to one half/third/fourth of the price. (Obviously, it shouldn't be too hard to make this one.)

Eg.
Code:
RedTurret //RED.
damagefactor "BlueDeconstruct", 0.5
damagefactor "RedDeconstruct", 1.5

Death.BlueDeconstruct: //The enemy has deconstructed me! *BOOM*
BLAH x * A_GiveToTarget("[Credits/Experience?]",15)
goto Death //BOOM!
Death.RedDeconstruct: //Oshi, misplaced it.. *Fixes*
BLAH x * A_GiveToTarget("[Credits],25)
BLAH x * *Shiny Message code goes here (ACS_ExecuteAlways(***,*)?)
BLAH x * A_FadeOut()
end //It silently fades out.. With no harm caused. :)

It's guaranteed to be done in a different way, but I think this should give you the basic idea.
I know that most people find (BLAHBLAHBLAH) additions stupid, but I add them as "Additional explanations" of the "points of interest" of my posts.

Fri May 14, 2010 5:09 pm
Wy Hai Thar!

I've wanted to implement that into the research centre, but doing so would require that every map be modified - be it in progress or finished.

So I'm a bit "eh" about that right now. I do want to do it, yes, and have been given the green light to, but it's not a simple 1-2-3 job to do it.

Fri May 14, 2010 11:23 pm

utility guy should get the xp from the turrets and nothing else.

Sun May 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Mytis wrote:
utility guy should get the xp from the turrets and nothing else.

And frags necessarily. Because it's my turrets, so it's my frags.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:27 am
BUDDHIST. AMEN

exp for building stuff?how about that! not mountains full for just for building one thing but bits and bobs that build up to SOME exp .by far the utility guy and the repair people get raped the most in enemy raids/sieges etc. and if they haven't attacked or ref'd they will have astoundingly low hp compared to Jeff over there with commando rank and enough money to buy a titan for every member of his team(believe me you should try that for a mech spam).

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:17 am

Arcaliath wrote:
exp for building stuff?how about that! not mountains full for just for building one thing but bits and bobs that build up to SOME exp .by far the utility guy and the repair people get raped the most in enemy raids/sieges etc.

Take a look at the rest of the thread..

Arcaliath wrote:
and if they haven't attacked or ref'd they will have astoundingly low hp compared to Jeff over there with commando rank and enough money to buy a titan for every member of his team(believe me you should try that for a mech spam).

I remember a game at Glacier one day when one dude got us free Titans and we spammed the red team into oblivion..

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:41 am
Profile WWW
:/

Arezey, I was with you that day. It was 5 free Titans, and that guy had to leave

We took down the Ob, Followed by Res, Barracks, Wf, Ref, RF.

That was a sweeet game.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:48 pm
BUDDHIST. AMEN

okay, we are bordering into(onto??is this even happening??) a deconstruction gun. Should demo guy get one too?...
why not just a MOVE gun that moves shit,anything that is built by util, if so, should it deconstruct enemy turrets/what the enemy util builds? i think i just stumbled into a gold mine! do you ?about the xp for killing enemy turrets, try battling a commando with a plazzy cannon with turrets? that is a shit load of xp for that guy with commando class.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:23 am

I think I remember that game, I was seriously lagging, but I helped Titan the place. Good times.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3