View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
MAP - True Warfare 

Post MAP - True Warfare
Yo, This is a map I've been working on for a while now.

Red base
    Blue base

/Ignore the Blue Ref

Blue base (Very obvious)

Outside blue base

Outside Red base

Red base

Post helpful suggestions and comments that can help improve this map :D

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:22 am
Wy Hai Thar!

Post Re: MAP - True Warfare
Well - I'm going to shoot from the hip here, I really hope I'm not too harsh. I think this map has potential though, and I'd like to see it completed. ;)

• One of the first things I notice is the heavy use of brown textures with very little variation. If you must stick with brown, you might consider at least using several different forms of brown textures that add different types of shading to the level and don't all appear the same in color and luminescence. One thing to keep in mind, also, is that many modern games suffer from "over brownness." That might seem like a joke, but in all seriousness, most scenery in a lot of modern games is simply brown textures with not much on them. Quake is a very good example of such a game - its lack of visual appeal makes it an eyesore to play. Thankfully, your map does not seem to suffer from this - it seems to suffer more from "plainness" - which I will touch on later in this post.
  • Also try to avoid the use of the SHAWN2 texture too much - it's good at some places, but it's overused very easily, and it appears that is the case here.
  • Also - the "Enjoy Your Stay At Blue Base" sign... I don't know what it is, but that doesn't agree with me. Something about this being a "war" mod and an "enjoy your stay" sign doesn't fit - and yes, I'm well aware that the texture exists as a resource in AOW2.
  • The detail level on this map does seem to be a little low - unfortunately, it seems more plain than the maps that we've gotten used to with the Volt/Fletto duo. I think adding in some random doodads may help with this. Also, if you can master slope tesselation techniques, you may try this on some of the terrain - you don't have to do it on all terrain, but the more you are able to avoid square corners, the more believable terrain it becomes.

Overall though, the map does have some good points.
  • The complexity of the layout is something that is lacking in nearly all AOW maps. All of the current maps suffer from some form of linearity - this does break past it better than they do.
  • It does appear you've spent quite a bit of time on this map. I'd suggest working on the detailing a little bit - even if it's just to add trees or something - it would have a very positive impact on the visual appeal of the map. If we don't have the trees you want, feel free to import the ones from Hexen or something - we'll add them.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:34 am
Used to be Stalin

I can't say much professionally, as my own mapping isn't super detailed awesomeness, but definitely this is looking kinda plain in the detail department; one might get confused with all the brown. Definitely I would recommend some grass and trees in the fields, but that's just me.

Game play wise it looks good; can't wait to try it.

Quote:
<Mobius>It's a pity Stalin can't use his rage as fuel
<Mobius>He could fly to the moon with it

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Eruanna wrote:
Also - the "Enjoy Your Stay At Blue Base" sign... I don't know what it is, but that doesn't agree with me. Something about this being a "war" mod and an "enjoy your stay" sign doesn't fit - and yes, I'm well aware that the texture exists as a resource in AOW2.

AOW2: No Fun Allowed

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]