View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Thoughts on the voteban system 
Pyromaniac

Post Thoughts on the voteban system
So today I logged onto the server and played for about thirty minutes. During this thirty minutes I mined some tiberium to become a utility guy then went utility guy. Most of my teams bases were damaged so I repaired those then I went commando and blew up a few mechs. Out of the blue a vote ban came up and I didn't notice it at the time but it was about me. Five people out of the 14 voted yes and I was booted from the server. No people yelling at me in chat no warning just boot. I sincerely have no idea what I did and not even the majority of people voted me off. I've only done what I have been doing for the past few weeks and this is the first time I have been vote kicked. I never blew up friendlies stuff or build to "Troll", Heck I only built a Klaxon and a sandbag wall. Can someone please tell me what happened? Also, why is the majority not needed to kick someone?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Post Re: Thoughts on the voteban system
Hi. If it happened on ":: [BE] New York :: All Out War 2 : Map Pack v.8" r2539 server please tell me date, time, timezone and your nickname.
I'm aware of the callvote problem and I'm checking the logfiles from time to time, watching out for e.g. callvote abusers.

El Zoido

[22:54:40] <@Dusk>: you banned zoido without proof?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:53 pm

The majority is needed for votekicks to work. Unfortunately, this is a Z& problem more than an AOW one, so if the system actually did mess up and boot you without the majority vote then I'd bug-report that to Zandronum directly.

Also, you were likely the victim of a random act of greifing. It's an an awful thing to do, yes, but votekicks only last 15 minutes: it's nothing permanent. While it's difficult to track down incidents due to user anonymity and proxy IPs on Zandronum (another Z& problem), worst case scenario is 15 minutes.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 pm

It's just 10 minutes actually. I don't think the vote system is bugged - a majority of yes votes is needed but a no-vote doesn't count as a "no".

I personally don't think any AOW servers should have vote kicking whatsoever exactly because of this. The playerbase just cannot use it responsibly.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:40 am
Profile WWW
the All Out War 2 pro

It's very rare that it actually gets used properly :c

Code:
[20:31] <Synert> so yeah thanks dusk
[20:31] <Synert> for accidentally setting him on my forums
[20:31] <Medicris> dying
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v
[20:32] <Dusk> hahaha
[20:33] <Eric> truly a fate worse than banning

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:45 pm
Faith implies fate

Dusk wrote:
It's just 10 minutes actually. I don't think the vote system is bugged - a majority of yes votes is needed but a no-vote doesn't count as a "no".

I personally don't think any AOW servers should have vote kicking whatsoever exactly because of this. The playerbase just cannot use it responsibly.

Well I recall situations when this is a must to get rid of trolls who plant beacons in their own buildings, in the absence of admins.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:40 pm
Profile WWW

The problem is that the kick vote is executed too easily, it's even bound to PgUp/PgDn by default. Knowing that this community presses PgUp instantly without even reading what the vote is for, I wonder if the vote kick feature would be used more appropriately if the voting was made harder, eg. writing something (randomly generated code?) in the console.

Type 'a4f' if you really want to kick Nightfall

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Ermac wrote:
Dusk wrote:

Well I recall situations when this is a must to get rid of trolls who plant beacons in their own buildings, in the absence of admins.

That's why I have votekicks enabled. I check the logfile from time to time for votekick abuses.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:01 am

It feels very powerless when you're being wrongfully votekicked (Black-burn if you're reading this, I hate you 8-) ). But I anyway prefer to have the possibility to actually be able to do something about trolls. I think without trolling it works 90% of the times, which is good enough. With trolling this goes down to about 80%... Which is .. bad.. but still better than not having the possibility.

I think the only alternative to this is having more admins?

Maybe Zandronum should have some player ID generated when installing or based on your PC config or whatever so you can more permanently ban people. Just pulled this out of my ass but I'm sure there are clever solutions to these problems out there..

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:36 am

K4r4t3k4n4k4s wrote:
Maybe Zandronum should have some player ID generated when installing or based on your PC config or whatever so you can more permanently ban people. Just pulled this out of my ass but I'm sure there are clever solutions to these problems out there..

As far as I'm aware, that'd be saved to something like a .txt document. If that's the case people could very easily just edit it.

Even if it was a normal "File" type and had no extensions, I'm sure people would figure it out relatively quickly.

AOW may have a bunch of idiot players, but there's some decently computer literate people too.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 pm
>:c

Play on some of the Grandvoid servers when the community flocks to them for some reason and trolls come out to play. You'll be wishing for that votekick option as soon as you catch that guy planting c4s and nukes/ions in his own base with no admins in sight.

The same dirtbag keeps popping up with slightly different names on the [BE] server nearly every time I play there, and I tell you, votekick is essential. He still manages to get the troll nukes off much of the time, but still.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:05 am

Rhydon wrote:
Play on some of the Grandvoid servers when the community flocks to them for some reason and trolls come out to play. You'll be wishing for that votekick option as soon as you catch that guy planting c4s and nukes/ions in his own base with no admins in sight.

The same dirtbag keeps popping up with slightly different names on the [BE] server nearly every time I play there, and I tell you, votekick is essential. He still manages to get the troll nukes off much of the time, but still.

I have identified 2 people in the logfiles with uncountable votebans. Perm bans issued.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]