View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Crumbling buildings when destroyed 

Post Crumbling buildings when destroyed
So after playing a lot of Shotgun Frenzy and seeing how the buildings are spawned, I was wondering if the same technique could be applied to the buildings in AOW2, but in reverse. Sure, it might take a bit of re-mapping and then copypasting, but think of the gameplay effects. As more gets destroyed, the less cover in the base there is. This makes it harder for enemy stealths to sneak through the base. Defending against the often-swarming enemy team in SD would be easier as the enemy can't hide. Also, it'd just plain be a really cool, dynamic gameplay and aesthetic effect. Imagine a nuke going off on an MCT and seeing the building just get flattened as the nuke explodes on it.

To counterbalance the way that Utils can build massive amounts of turrets around the last remaining building, for every building destroyed, turret limits would be lowered by 5 (to a low of 20 with one building remaining). I'd like this idea even standalone if the building leveling doesn't make it. Util spam is one of the worst parts of the game.

Maps like AOW15 with the moving refinery pistons and such... I don't know what to do with those. Idk.

Last edited by atac on Wed May 25, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Post Re: Crumbling buildings when destroyed
Medic wrote:
So after playing a lot of Shotgun Frenzy and seeing how the buildings are spawned, I was wondering if the same technique could be applied to the buildings in AOW2, but in reverse. Sure, it might take a bit of re-mapping and then copypasting, but think of the gameplay effects. As more gets destroyed, the less cover in the base there is. This makes it harder for enemy stealths to sneak through the base. Defending against the often-swarming enemy team in SD would be easier as the enemy can't hide. Also, it'd just plain be a really cool, dynamic gameplay and aesthetic effect. Imagine a nuke going off on an MCT and seeing the building just get flattened as the nuke explodes on it.

Gonna need dynamic slopes to implement this, as some buildings (Remmirath's buildings' Barracks and Mercury buildings) use slopes in the ceilings. And as far as I know, kgsws is working on this but the research is not finished on those.

Medic wrote:
To counterbalance the way that Utils can build massive amounts of turrets around the last remaining building, for every building destroyed, turret limits would be lowered by 5 (to a low of 15 with one building remaining). I'd like this idea even standalone if the building leveling doesn't make it. Util spam is one of the worst parts of the game.

Maps like AOW15 with the moving refinery pistons and such... I don't know what to do with those. Idk.

Personally mildly agreed about this, though I'll need to chat about it further.

Wed May 25, 2011 5:59 pm
Profile WWW

I did math wrong. Fail. 20 would be the turret limit once one building remains. I counted the Repair Facility.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:07 pm

sooo... In some maps like AOW03 where only tower and RC are the cover from obelisk on the side way... someone blows up RC while obelisk is alive, whoops. Also, dead bases were like the only cover from overpowered weapon spammers. Not to mention the sight LRM turrets will get. Strongly disagree, this can open a large can of worms.

Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Honestly, I was a little skeptical of this at first as well. Thing is though, those dead bases are also great cover for the enemy to hole up in and heal themselves as well.

Wed May 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Medic wrote:
Thing is though, those dead bases are also great cover for the enemy to hole up in and heal themselves as well.

I don't believe this to be a bad thing. You can camp in enemy dead bases while on your mission to destroy the remaining buildings.

Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 pm
Profile WWW

Correct. Moved to Rejected.

Wed May 25, 2011 9:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]