View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Remove the commando class 

Post Remove the commando class
Should be self-explanatory, templates are for suckers.

Anyway. The commando class, as it stands, receives the following equipment:

-Gatling gun. 7/6 base damage per shot, fires faster than Machinegun. Anti-Mech altfire cancels out that method of killing him, too.
-Gauss Rifle. 60 laser damage, which fewer classes resist than bullets. Also has insanely irritating knockback and a fire rate that doesn't even give you time to get to cover. Also has anti-mech altfire.
-Bazooka. AltFire wrecks infantry and cockblocks stealth. Primary fire does outside damage to buildings comparable to the plasma cannon.
-Rifle. Does base 12 bullet damage, which once run through RNG becomes more like 24 or 36 damage. AltFire launches a grenade that kills almost anyone in two direct hits.
-2x Enhanced C4. Let's give the best fragging class in the game power against buildings too!
-Strongest armor of any class, matched with Utility Guy and a couple others.
-90% gunman's speed
-"IsSniper" dummy inventory item grants this asshole the stronger sniper rifle should he acquire one.
-Haven't checked the code but there's probably some damage upgrades in there too.

...Yeah. This guy can snipe, wields arguably the best close to mid range weapon, has tools that enable him to destroy bases, is faster than most classes in AOW, has strong armor that protects him from anything else's attacks, and can only generally be beaten by a higher-ranked commando with better aim. His loadout effectively ruins the class system whose entire purpose is to make players strategize by making each class weak to something else. The problem is that this guy has no weakness, negating the usage of any other class.

I can't see any way to balance someone whose sole purpose for creation was to do everything. Heavy price hikes won't help in the least, since whomever gets it first will be able to annihilate the opposing team. Maybe the other gameplay changes will tone some of these problems down a bit, but if not I'd say we have no choice but to remove it.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:06 am

Post Re: Remove the commando class
Very, very strongly supported.

It's like adding a 10th class in TF2 that has every weapon from every class and has 400 health. That's Voltbalance for you.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:15 am

DELETE!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:00 am
Profile WWW
Faith implies fate

I know how much is painful death from enemy commando, but still I have never lost courage and sanity to fight back.
You can put that Advanced classes can be purchased for 2000$ (such as required research for Advanced Mechs) in Research center or (and) increase the price of class to 1750 or 2000$. And it will be still powerful class than price it suggests. Juggernaut either.

But please don't delete it. AOW2 is my primary wad that I play and knowing that you will change the wad in this way to the worse makes me piss off. I have accepted AOW2 in the way it is now. I have accepted all unfair aspects of it. So you should too. Enough of changing this game.

I am against only ammo drop after death and against deleting of commando class.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:22 pm
Profile WWW

Without barrack no commando squad, without research center no commando squad then I think that the commando class have enough constraint. Without to talk of his price 1000$.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:08 pm

It could cost $1500, without that "issniper" dummy actor.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:58 pm

I'd still say we should instead give the guy a specialized role instead of a do-everything class. Maybe some non-invisible counterpart to stealth??

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:32 pm
Profile WWW

Dusk wrote:
I'd still say we should instead give the guy a specialized role instead of a do-everything class. Maybe some non-invisible counterpart to stealth??

Sorry, It is not a job for a commando; konda is right, to increase the price of the commando class will not attack any more as madmen and will stay on their reserves.

1500 $ should mark the spirits.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:36 pm

The big problem with commando is that he can do everything you'd possibly need to do.. except for repairing but if you're commando rank you can do that as well! Generic classes like these just don't cut it. Being able to counter everything leaves no weakness and that's a pretty bad design error.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:00 pm
Profile WWW

It's true. It is difficult to find reasonable solutions.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Maybe lowering the speed of it would help soften the blow before we get rid of it completely... if we do. I mean it's carrying 4 primary weapons, yet he's as fast as the gunman who only has an SMG. The problem with Commando is he has:

1. Huge armor
2. Very strong weapons
3. Basically highest speed in the game

Lowering any one of those would make the Commando less OP... for the moment.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:45 am

I lowered the commando's speed just a bit for the next version and made it unable to get the armor/damage upgrade. Also IsSniper was removed - the only reason I didn't do that before was that I had no idea that the commando was getting it. Let that be the first step... we'll see what to do next.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:48 pm
Profile WWW

How about a machinegun instead of a gattlinggun? I think someone suggested that and I agree with them very strongly. Not that it will make roflmando less OP, it will also make (jumpjet) gattling gunner class more used. Yet with that weapon dropping you strongly agree to stay, everyone can get gattling gun with the roflmanderp.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:01 pm

I suggest the commando class price is 3000

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:52 pm
Dat Minigun

I want them gone for the clear reasons, but i still want them in becuase i LOVE smashing them in the face with a chemnade

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Atma Chaos wrote:
I suggest the commando class price is 3000

I don't think raising prices to ridiculous levels will not solve anything. That's been tried with other classes in the past, like the old Timecop.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:14 am

Dusk wrote:
made it unable to get the armor/damage upgrade.

Heh.. I'm gonna count how many people rage because of that. :D

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

Music project back up : Needing a new host.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:17 am

IMO it's fine. The commando in 18xx already has built-in damage upgrades which are also getting removed. I guess that Commanderps will sacrifice pure firepower for versatility in this release.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 am

We'll see... We'll see.

ÜBERCHARGE!!

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

Music project back up : Needing a new host.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:50 am

Then I wouldn't mess with the weapons and price too. We'll see.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next