View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
More Usable Grenades 

Post More Usable Grenades
I think everybody will agree that hand grenades act crazy. I think they need a serious improvement cuz now they are more toys than actual weapon. They often hurt or even kill the thrower himself.

Right now I can suggest 4 ways of improvement:

1) Increasing the speed of throwing power counter. There is no time to hold grenade in hands for that long when enemy reaches you. Almost in every situation it’s better to keep firing enemy with your primary weapon than to waste time switching to grenade, holding the key, throwing and waiting for explosion – it's about 5 sec – you can be easily killed twice during all this. That leads to my main suggestion:

2) At right click you throw grenade immediately with power about 80 (100 is too much I think)
Why do we need this? With that you can concentrate just on trajectory. You will be able to predict where it will jump, because power of throwing will be always the same.

3) Decrease rebound from surfaces. Sometimes they seem to gain more speed after hitting the wall. Just try to throw grenade in a narrow corridor – it’ll jump between walls as if it’s made of rubber. And again - it’ll help to build more realistic trajectories, that you can actually predict.

UPDATED

4) Aftermath situation - you remove safety pin and get killed. Logically grenade should fall near your body and explode. It would be more realistic and will bring new in-game situations.

Last edited by vagina vangi on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Post Re: More Usable Grenades
I'm pretty sure that third one is just how the bouncing works, which is kind of ass.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:12 am

I wouldn't mind a quickthrow option for the grenade. They could use a more reasonable bounce trajectory, low floor bounce but high wall bounce, being enough to bounce around a corridor corner but not much more.

Frag nades are great at the time being for weeding out far away campers. You can toss those things far, they have perfect fuse timers for long distance throws, they can skip over the ground well, and you don't have a lot of time to run from them after they've taken the time to travel to you.

The shrapnel is eh, though. Sort of thinking of removing it entirely and making the actual explosion radius a tad wider, as a concussion grenade instead (frag grenades are somewhat losing effectiveness in the modern day -- meanwhile no amount of body armour can block an organ-obliterating overpressure wave).

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:42 am

I dunno. I kind of like how rubbery they are.. makes it easier to throw it in unpredictable patterns. Not that we can even do anything about it anyway.

I think the idea of alt-fire being a quick-drop thingy.. not throwing really, just dropping. could be useful when you're chased.

Quote:
frag grenades are somewhat losing effectiveness in the modern day

And that's relevant since when? :P I wouldn't mind some frag grenade varieties though.. and shrapnel really doesn't seem to be as useful as it could be.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 am
Profile WWW

Dusk wrote:
Quote:
frag grenades are somewhat losing effectiveness in the modern day

And that's relevant since when? :P I wouldn't mind some frag grenade varieties though.. and shrapnel really doesn't seem to be as useful as it could be.

iunno, but it's an excuse to remove the shrapnel and make the explosion bigger :v

(concussion grenades are stuffed with as much explosive filler as possible and have a thin case, while frags use some space for shrapnel material and thicker casings, so it'd make sense)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:12 am

Frag nades are great at the time being for weeding out far away campers. You can toss those things far, they have perfect fuse timers for long distance throws, they can skip over the ground well, and you don't have a lot of time to run from them after they've taken the time to travel to you.

I agree that fuse time is OK. I don't think it needs any changes.

Dusk wrote:
I dunno. I kind of like how rubbery they are.. makes it easier to throw it in unpredictable patterns. Not that we can even do anything about it anyway.

That's too bad. Because sometimes you need to use walls to direct grenades to your enemy, and that randomness makes it uneasy or even impossible.

Dusk wrote:
I think the idea of alt-fire being a quick-drop thingy.. not throwing really, just dropping. could be useful when you're chased.

You can drop it now easily with left click (without holding). But I'm talking about situation when here your enemy is - running towards you and shooting at you. In 90% cases you would be dead if you try to use grenades.

Also check my update in the first message.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:14 am
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

I miss that feature TBH, though I can imagine "Jihadnicians" would be quite a problem if it came back.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 am
the All Out War 2 pro

Fuck the bouncing, it's killed me so many goddamn times from somehow bouncing back at me from hitting a wall (because a+ physics).

Code:
[20:31] <Synert> so yeah thanks dusk
[20:31] <Synert> for accidentally setting him on my forums
[20:31] <Medicris> dying
[20:32] <Eric> we figure that's proper retribution for all the shit you do in-game :v
[20:32] <Dusk> hahaha
[20:33] <Eric> truly a fate worse than banning

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:55 pm

vagina vangi wrote:
2) At right click you throw grenade immediately with power about 80 (100 is too much I think)

4) Aftermath situation - you remove safety pin and get killed. Logically grenade should fall near your body and explode.

I think you can add these two in next big update.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:15 pm

If grenades was an inventory item you could throw them in battle. Using your third arm. Seriously though, what often gets me killed is the time it takes to switch from grenades back to your weapon

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 am

Personally I just have g bound to "use grenade" or whatevs.

Bam, instant grenade access. Then again I use number keys for all the weapons, scrolling's inefficient and clumsy

Probably just used to it

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:27 pm

It's not about way of selecting grenades - for example I've solved weapon choosing problem via full rearranging weapon slots and binds.
It's about process of throwing - it's not user friendly at all. I don't understand why I can't throw them at full power instantly?
And what about 4) ? Isn't this is more fairly to people, who tried to use grenades and died to have a chance of dealing some damage?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]