[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
All Out War 2 - View topic - Learning curve, beginning tutorial...
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Learning curve, beginning tutorial... 

Post Learning curve, beginning tutorial...
Hi, I have been trying AOW2, and I find it's very interesting, but at the same time it can be very frustrating for newbies. :(

Is there any guide or documentation that can get you started? I'm sure I'm not giving myself all the chances, but I cannot figure out what to do to improve.

Unfortunately, as it is, it's very difficult to solve for a beginner, no time to ask your team mates in the middle of a game.

For instance, it can be VERY frustrating that even after 10 direct shots, your enemies survive, and they get to pulverize you with just ONE shot. Is the game designed thus? Weapons and armor can be SO uneven, that some players walk around like gods?

I have the feeling that people who know all the fine tuning have way a huge advantage over a beginner, so that it's really too uneven a battle to begin with. Of course, AOW2 is not driven by money, so there is no interest in marketing, and making it available to a bigger audience, but take it as well-intentioned critic, most games although ultimately rewarding the experienced player, are not THAT uneven or hard in the beginning.

Well, any help would be much welcomed.

YW

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:20 am

Post Re: Learning curve, beginning tutorial...
The only documentation we have about AOW is what the mod is about. That is, the "game mechanics". All those cheap armor stacking techniques and stuff that makes you godlike was discovered by players. And yes it's not very fair. We've been working on eliminating those issues for quite some time. It was way harder for beginners before, and next version will hopefully solve the godlike players problem.
We're supposed to have a wiki, but I can't find it right now.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 am

http://aow2.drdteam.org/wiki/Manual

Here you go, this page should help you.

It might seem like players walk around like gods... Until you realize which class they're using and use the right counter. Even then it's pretty skill and map-memorization dependent, and each weapon has settled themselves into their own niche and "tier" I guess.

I know it's not the best, but it turns out a lot of people like things the way they are, and quick changes in balance have caused some pretty big uproars whenever we've tried in the past. So our only option's to introduce gameplay fixers gradually. It's not ideal... but we kind of have to if we don't want to drive out half of the players.

Sorry you had a bad time with all that. Not to mention the game's balancing and concept was originally based off of by the previous owner of the project, which ended up leaving a LOT of things for us to fix without breaking everything else's balance.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:10 am

Thank you a lot for your kind and very prompt answers, I am looking into the wiki of the game, hopefully I would get less confused and frustrated next time I try the game.

Could it be that the players I mentioned not only know all of the advantages (fair or otherwise) but that they might also be cheating by way of using some extra code, or something in the like? Is there any way to monitor that?

Cheers, and thanks again. :)

YW

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Lead Artist

Yeah, I can imagine this being hard to settle in. I mean there's so much stuff to actually know. o_O

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]