[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
All Out War 2 - View topic - AOW Team Etiquette
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
AOW Team Etiquette 

Post AOW Team Etiquette
Here's a couple of things I think help make teams run smoother together.

Donate
Nobody is impressed when you say ololol i got 26k!!111! Donate some of that money to other players that need it more than you, or spread the wealth around so everyone is closer to the same level. If you notice you got excess money, there is nothing wrong in donating. It'll help speed things up such as building utility defenses, or organizing mech rushes, or general assaults

Don't Dick Around with the Utility Gun
Making absurd structures with the utility gun or filling the spawn room with caches is not amusing. It is simply annoying. There are better things you could be doing with your money and time.

Don't Throw Tib Crystals at Teammates
Why would you do it?

Listen to People trying to Organize Shit
Seriously. If you can't or are unwilling to part take in action, at least say so! People who are trying to organize attacks are trying to help the team; ignoring them is infuriating and simply rude. The only time I would say it is alright to ignore is when you are in enemy territory and avoiding detection. Otherwise, acknowledge their presence!

Stop Punching People in the Spawn Room
Seriously, fuck off. It really only serves to piss people off. Why would you do it?

Encourage Your Teammates
Raging at teammates only makes them not feel inclined to try; this is basic team mentality. Try to keep a positive attitude. Save ragequits until the end.

Research!
Similar to donate, your team (and the other team) does not care how much money you have; if you have extra, or just want to contribute to the team, go do some research!

Don't Be A Hero
Most people can't get away with this, so don't try. If you are needed elsewhere, go!

That's all I got for now, but if you have more post them up.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:29 am

Post Re: AOW Team Etiquette
All I have to say is AMEN this will make AOW games run a lot more smootly and make them a lot more enjoyable. Oh ya and just in time for the tourney :D

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:34 am

I agree with some of these points - however I will say - some of the really obvious stuff - yeah, trolls do that. Like punching people in the spawn room or throwing tiberium.

If there's any of that in the tournament, the teams will know they need to kick some folks. ;)

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:47 am

[rant]

Pet peeve: don't bump/punch/shoot your utility guys when they're trying to spawn things. The amount of times I've spawned mines into walls or been knocked into sandbags only to be stuck inside them is unreal. Half the time you know they did it on purpose because they shoot once then run. Don't.

Don't ask for fireproof and shoot your utility guy repeatedly then call them names when they don't reply, when clearly it's so painfully obvious that there's something more important going on, like the obelisk is down to 5% and there's mechs shooting at it. Sure buddy, I'll just go ahead and stop repairing so I can fireproof you. We'll lose the obelisk but you being fireproof is more important, right, right? lol Ask once and if you get no reply, don't keep asking, it means there's something more pressing to be done. Ask again in a few minutes and you'll probably get a reply if you didn't get one already to say they're free to fireproof you. Also, pay the measely $100 back. It's not much to you, but when you're chugging out $250+ a time for turrets etc, $100 is a fair amount, especially if a lot of you repeatedly ask for it and never pay it back. It takes a while to spawn fireproof, so you can have your donation console up and ready to go for when I'm done.

Also, please don't ask me for fireproof when I'm halfway across the map, deep in enemy territory or somewhere in the enemy base. Be realistic with your timing. Utility guys aren't fireproof vending machines that take zero damage and are somehow impervious to being seen or heard when standing still and spawning fireproof. No really, it shocked me a little too. Ask me somewhere weird and you shouldn't be surprised to get no response but you'd be surprised how often it happens.

Don't destroy the powerup caches in the spawn room. They're not free and more often than not, you wont get a replacement if I'm your utility guy so it's your loss. I'll just go ahead and spawn myself grade 2 armour and firepower from my utility gun and you get nothing, so think twice about it. I make them once only unless I'm feeling really really generous; it's up to you if you want to keep using them.

Don't shot block. No really, don't. If someone is shooting plasma/tiberium/splash damage causing weapon of destruction, don't walk right infront of them, it's ever so slightly bad for their health. Even if they aren't using splash damage weapons, don't stand in their way if they're shooting at someone. Worse probably, is standing in the way of a repairgun/demogun when someone is desperately trying to disarm that wall of c4s/pile of beacons. You standing in the way of that repair beam is equal to you wearing the opposing team's colours and destroying that building yourself. Hyperbole aside, you'd be surprised how often it happens. Just be aware of repair beams and what they're aiming at. If you happen to be standing between it and its target, it's not repairing anything but you. It makes me wonder if some people know what the repair beam actually does.

One thing that always annoys me is doorways and tunnels. If you see someone trying to get in a doorway as a repairman/utility guy, then let them in instead of trying to shoot your way through them. Don't you just love no team damage? Their reasoning for going in is probably greater than yours for going out. The same goes for tiberium harvesters. They should have the right of way. Common sense should tell you to move back to allow certain classes through instead of doorblocking. If you start shooting me, I'm not moving for anyone when I would have gone back to let you in/out without a second thought even if I had a good reason for needing to get in there. Just isn't all that polite. Longest time spent being shot at in a doorway was around 30 seconds, where *I* was the one slagged off for not moving. Fair enough for calling me out for not moving but pot, meet kettle and I had the decency not to be shooting you in the face and call you naughty words for it after. Had you not been shooting me, I would have moved back and spared us 28 seconds of genuine hilarity.

If someone is running out of the way of being under fire, then make room for them! Let them in doorways, and run back down the tunnel you're blocking. Obviously you're going to lose a teammate if you don't move it. Too many times you get blocked by people with no sense of teamwork.

When there are defences placed everywhere inside every building, please don't criticise your team for "lack of defence". When someone has taken the time to do the boring job of doing it, you're going to discourage them from ever doing it again. If you thought your team needed more defence, why weren't you doing anything about it? You're just crying over spilt milk but as far as those who made the defences are concerned, they weren't good enough so they're less inclined to try again. Any defence is better than no defence, and just because you don't see 15 LRM turrets up doesn't mean someone hasn't spent their whole time making defences. Chances are, your utility guy doesn't have enough money to make any LRMS; they're not free. Learn to donate for defences instead of moaning that there aren't any. If in doubt: DIY. It's annoying to be told that LRM is all there is to defence, so "hurry it up and place them." Would if I had the $ left bud, but those mines didn't come from santa's sack and they weren't free. Use the old noodle.

It's also wise not to go totally ape because someone is playing utility a different way to everyone else. So they sandbagged the "wrong" doorway? Says who? Chances are you never play utility and just like to see it done the usual way. If it really is that big of a security issue, tell them nicely instead of screaming them down, or you'll find you're short a utility guy and therefore any defence. I just find it funny when people tell me I do it wrong because it's not the usual way, but half the time there's a massive argument over it when really, you were the one at fault for criticising from afar. DIY if you don't like it, it's that easy. It's so easy to criticise when you haven't done a thing to help yourself, but offer them to do it instead? Wont happen, you can bet on that and it's a funny way to end that conversation. If you have the time to moan about it, you have the time to do it your way.

Something similar is when someone says "Who's the idiot who put sandbags in ALL the doorways" and proceeds to shoot them all. I think you'll find in 99% of cases, one doorway is unblocked by sandbags, and for a good reason. You destroying every single one just because you can't spare 5 seconds to check 2 other doors is helping the enemy to waltz into the base. Almost evey map has the same doorways blocked by good utility guys. Just need to learn which one is the hardest one for the enemy to get to, and start using that doorway instead of making your own way in. I really don't like to lose sandbags this way and you can bet they'll be back for your next visit :P rage moar!

However, the reverse is true in other cases. If you're utility guy and your entire team are telling you you're doing it wrong, listen to them and their reasoning for it and learn from it. If someone is just shooting off because they think they're god's gift to all things creative and defensive, then whatever, if they're so good they should be doing it themselves hey and you have to learn your own methods. But if your team tells you to stop putting LRM turrets at the back of the base where they'll never hit anyone, sure, listen up, destroy them and think again because you're wasting resources. Just because you're under criticism doesn't mean you shouldn't learn from it and become better for it. Don't shoot your mouth off about how awesome the back of the base is now defended because of your sheer brilliance and quick thinking, you're just starting a flame war and you'll never learn.

Best case I've ever seen, someone told me not to place fake crates in the buildings and put sandbags and mines up instead because fake crates are too easily destroyed. Every building had every doorway mined and sandbagged minus one doorway without a sandbag, and they'd spawned into the last one where I'd just started building and decided I'd give fake crates a go on this one before I did the rest. Where did the mines and bags suddenly appear from in all the other buildings? It wasn't magic and it didn't take 2 seconds XD I asked if they want to do it themselves instead because they clearly have far better methods than me, but they were too busy to do it, and they didn't know where the mines and bags came from in the other buildings. I thought as much, and gladly they wanted to ignore me over the little keffuffle. Suits me better; lets me get on with things :P yosh!

Shortly after, someone mouthed off about there being a lack of LRM turrets up when no one had done the turret upgrade, and I was down to less than $100 (hence me using the free defences rather than mines in the last building etc). It really irks me when people tell me how to do utility when that's the way I've already done it if you'd care to look. They're too quick to judge one small thing or can't work out why no LRMs are up, yet they're not even available, and even if they were I've spent all I have on defences already, and you're boasting about having $12k on you. It doesn't get to me much. Rather it's an opportunity to turn the tables on them for a laugh. But others, I'd bet would be discouraged and it's not all that polite to shun someone for trying to help. You should be thankful for what you can get because utility isn't all that fun, but it's important, and unless you want to DIY, keep it stumm on the overly zealous criticism hey? Just be thankful every button in the spawn room hasn't been sandbagged over or something retarded. At least they're playing the class constructively. You should encourage them to continue.

If you're in a big mech, be mindful of where you're standing. You can break any form of utility made defence/structure and you can knock teammates off of ledges/into instant death pits, the works. The same goes for infantry; mind that you're not blocking mechs from retreating. They might be bigger than you but the slowdown from bumping a player is noticeable.

Don't use taunts in the enemy base. Don't shoot your allies in the enemy base. Don't block them. Don't run infront of them and rouse up the entire enemy team and get you both spotted. Don't throw your one and only c4 on a building with 100% when someone's getting ready to plant 12, because they're not silent. Read the situation and don't blow a perfectly good thing because you have an itchy taunt finger. Yeah ho ho...uh oh!

There are only so many mines/turrets/fake crates to use and listen to your team. Please please please, choose your placements wisely. If you're told not to merrily make little rows of fake crates right next to the buildings consoles then don't continue. You can destroy these things yourself if you can see you've put them somewhere stupid. Plan ahead even a tiny bit and put them where they would be the most useful and try not to use every single one unless you're genuinely the only utility guy on your team. If you're seen putting things up in bad places, you'll be disrespected for it, but if you go and fix it...actually no, no one will notice you've done it, but the complaining will stop so surely that's a good thing :) and in time, you can learn to be the best utility guy ever so you can tell them what for and all that! YEAH! lols

[/rant]

tl;dr utility guys are fragile, try not to upset them too much or they'll break inside XD

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:34 am

Jesus Christ. Did read it all though and I'm pretty sure your referring to me when I was saying the fake crates are too easily destroyed to depend on. I was basing that off of the fact that when I went stealth trooper to enemy bases, I could shoot the crates fast enough that I could easily slip into the buildings without anyone knowing. Crates should be coupled with a turret. Anyway, here's a couple more.

If You Find a Beacon, Tell Others Where It Is
I don't know how many times I ask where the beacon is, running around frantically trying to find it only to come across a person trying to disarm it. TEAM WORK FFS.

If There Are Enemies Guarding The Beacon, Tell Us
Again, lack of information results in our deaths. We get told where the beacon is, so we jump into the nearest purchase terminal and switch classes to Demo man or Advanced engineer. Upon going to the beacon, often I find 2 or 3 plasma cannons pointed at my face. FFS tell us about people who are guarding the beacon, because by the time the campers are killed (if they are killed), the beacon is pretty much going off.

Don't Build Mini Ravens in Inconvenient Places
Seriously. These things are actually PRO at getting in the way and hindering any sort of movement.

Listen to the Utility Guy
If the Utility Guy is nice enough to make Machine Gun packs or Fire Proofs in the spawn room and says take 1 and only 1, just take one. There is no justification for taking 4 machine guns and 6 fire proofs at the same time. Stop being so greedy.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:46 pm
Profile WWW

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:27 am

I have been your team more than once lol. I think I have played at least once or twice with almost everyone....

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Well... since recently I have been starting to get some teamwork also to get ready for what I will have to do on the tourney.. I tell others to cover me, I cover others when I see them having the beacon or going to attack the base,I sometimes harvest, and act as utility and make defenses at the bases when not many utilities are acting (in which apparently I do quite well at... that is probably because I have some experience on where the harder and more unpredictable places are, and guard them more) and try and inform everybody if others are in the base (usually after I fail to kill them myself) ,also if I notice a stealth player going to our base in mid field,but lose him aftewards ... A big problem is also that others don't always listen so I need to do it myself and sometimes I perfer not to due to the situation and other important priorities but then we often end up losing because nobody does the job then...

A nice example to this was a recent match in AOW12 Whereby me and two others were 'Mechs, and we were about 7v7 or 8v8, I went titan as an anti 'Mech- 'mech (It's shell makes it a tank uber mass driver... I easily take down juggs, orcas and every other mech without much problem especially from distance). Anyway, I was running low on HP after I was nuked and hit, and then I went to the repair facility... Meanwhile the enemy team madcat and juggernaut were advancing and attacking our WF. I tried to pull them down but I was more or less alone in the battlefield, because the other one was healing itself. The WF health went down ,and nobody repaired. I warned my team to go and repair, while I cover, but nobody did... We ended up losing our WF and shortly afterwards I quit due to rush hour lag... We were actually doing not bad, even after Xaver left our team and logged we were OK, but then teamwork was weak so we ended up like that... I did not want to abandon my titan because I wanted to deal with the enemy and I had low credits,and then they succeeded due to people not listening.

That is an example that shows that tides can be turned over when people shrug off their teammates' words, and when the enemy team knows it and exploits the weakness (the madcat was very vulnerable to attacks, I do not think he just went there without knowing he could take the structure off, since I also took him down afterwards but by then we were destroyed...

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:02 pm

speaking of etiquette creeperexterimnator was trolling in game today, he destroyed all our turrets and ruined the game for everyone everyone was very annoyed and dissapointed and we lost the game because of him. Kick voting was not enabled so there was nothing we could do, I would like to see him banned by the admins if that could be done a lot of players would appreciate it, the server was Canadian Bacon. Below I have some screenshots of him destroying our turrets.

Lenin

Screenshot_Doom_20100430_115314.png
Screenshot_Doom_20100430_115314.png [ 136.26 KiB | Viewed 9152 times ]

Screenshot_Doom_20100430_120141.png
Screenshot_Doom_20100430_120141.png [ 129.45 KiB | Viewed 9152 times ]

Screenshot_Doom_20100430_120138.png
Screenshot_Doom_20100430_120138.png [ 124.23 KiB | Viewed 9152 times ]

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:57 pm

I quite often end up as utility girl and always offer fireproofs and weapon packs. I normally build by the repair pad and tell players that they can grab some goodies there. It would be nice if once in a while players would take the second to donate the 100 credits for the fireproof, some games I've built about 20 and not had a single donate...on top of this I'm building turrets to replace destroyed ones and sometimes convenient ravens for everyone as well. I end up with no credits -4 frags and get punched and shot in the back for it. Not good

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:30 pm

[quote="Lenin"]speaking of etiquette creeperexterimnator was trolling in game today, he destroyed all our turrets and ruined the game for everyone everyone was very annoyed and dissapointed and we lost the game because of him. Kick voting was not enabled so there was nothing we could do, I would like to see him banned by the admins if that could be done a lot of players would appreciate it, the server was Canadian Bacon. Below I have some screenshots of him destroying our turrets.

Lenin

I have played on the same team as this person before, except I think he had a slightly differnt name. I stood, watched and eventually punched and shot as he destroyed turrets, sandbags and taunted.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:34 pm

I have some things that I'd like to point out.

Protect important players.
The greatest examples of an important player is a Utility Guy (especially when building a Mini-Refinery) and anyone carrying a beacon. Building a Mini-Refinery can take 50+ seconds, and during that time, the player cannot attack. He should ask for support, and he should get support. Same goes for those planting a beacon, since they have to stand still while programming the beacon.

Use variety.
Yes, we all love using the Plasma Cannon/Time Gun/Plasma Rifle/Gattling Gun, but doing it all the time leaves the other weapons in the dust. If you use all the weapons at one time or another, you might get better overall :mrgreen: .
Same goes for the Utility Guy. When Advanced Turrets are researched, LRM turrets start dominating the field. Unfortunately, these turrets have some weaknesses. The OTHER turrets can counter that. Also, use some Mini-Ravens, because they can walk around, and they are more powerful.

Use traps wisely.
The mines, fake crates, and tiberium are commonly used in useless/annoying ways. Everyone now knows that a crate in front of a door can mean trouble, and some players make tiberium "trails" while harvesting. Please remember to use these traps in an unsuspecting and non-trolling way.

Talk only to your team when planning/executing strategies.
This can be set by going to Options -> Controls and scrolling to "Team Chat".

Do NOT call hax on a player!
Currently, as I know of, there is no existing aimbot/wallhack tool that works with 98b. What you see in AOW2 games is either skill, chance, or spam. You can call hax as a joke, I think. Otherwise, it's just a sign that your raging and just need a good ol' fashioned quit/kick/ban.

Don't ragequit. Use the surrender button.
If you ragequit because your Obelisk/Refinery/ect. was destroyed, you'll just hurt your team, as it'll need even more support. Instead, use the Surrender button as a reminder that you have given up. Now if you are very stressed (which shouldn't happen), quit the game, because extreme stress is bad for your health.

<Minigunner> "You have finally made it to the enemy base. You have bled out a lot, but you are still going. You plant a beacon by their War Factory, and what do you know? A little piece of metal from 10 miles away impacts your head, and you die."

<hsx3k>minigunner<?>: /o is a cool guy, he floods my console and doesnt afraid of anything
Eruanna: \o's a cooler guy, he appears whenever o/ shows up and doesn't afraid of minigunner

Last edited by <Minigunner> on Tue May 04, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 am
Profile WWW

Saying HAX all the time is so annoying. Seriously, stfu. Find a more creative word.

Mon May 03, 2010 12:40 am

People keep accusing other people for hacking because they cannot play well. Seriously, The aimbot never worked after 97c2, the wallhack never worked after 97d5 and gl_nearclip cannot be set above 5 online since 98b. So, why call other people hackers where skulltag cannot be hacked. Sometimes I may have been accused because I kill moving targets with the time gun. I just have learned to aim. But strangely, most of the kills i get with that weapon, the beam goes through their head. o_O

I have also seen some good teamwork being in maps that actually have a respected team leader. Usually a team leader is a hard thing to become, but it does pay off. People will actually listen and start rushing when you say so. Now that is a form of teamwork.
A Team leader cannot be anyone, it needs to be someone who can actually lead the team.

As for ragequitters, go play gvh and ragequit there, not in the AOW2 servers.

Also, a hint. Machine guns are better than SMGs. You can buy them first thing. It helps me very well.

Mon May 03, 2010 1:13 am
Profile WWW

Mon May 03, 2010 7:42 am

umm...
Now that I see that I should have meant this

An effective team leader cannot be anyone, it needs to be someone who can actually lead the team most effectively.

Mon May 03, 2010 7:59 am
Profile WWW

That I can agree with.

Mon May 03, 2010 8:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next