[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
All Out War 2 - View topic - Specialty Grenade Loadouts - For R2
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Specialty Grenade Loadouts - For R2 

Post Specialty Grenade Loadouts - For R2
Is this an improvement to an already-existing feature, or a new feature entirely?
New Feature

How would this work?
By having different base classes or weaponkits have their own, personalized hand grenade loadout.

Can you give an example in how useful this feature would be?
They would add a completely new level of depth and tactics to the gameplay, and generally make it a unique experience over anything on Skulltag at the moment, as variety is the spice of well, everything. Their fuses would be 3 seconds long to maximize efficiency, and possibly have the same gravity physics as the current AOW2 grenades if the maps have similar features. They could be thrown strongly or lobbed if desired.

Here are some general ideas to inspire some thought.

Lethal Grenades:

The Frag Grenade: Standard pineapple hand-thrown shrapnel grenade. Throws highly-damaging, bouncing, ripping shrapnel in addition to a small explosion. Role: General purpose, clearing out, instant high damage.
The Incendiary Grenade: When detonated, it mushrooms flaming debris over a medium-sized area, burning those who step in the flames. Think Molotov cocktails. Role: A jack-of-all-trades mix of clearing out, area denial and lasting damage.
The Gas Grenade: When it quietly detonates, sends out a slowly expanding screen of invisible chlorine gas, while the grenade itself remains in the centre of it. The only way to tell where the gas is is to walk into it, or see the grenade first. Role: Traps and area denial.
The Pipe Grenade: Hand-thrown and sticks to the first surface it touches. Later detonated by the owner at his whim. Role: Traps and Anti-Vehicle.

Nonlethal/Support Grenades:

The Flash Grenade: Comes with stealth classes or something close to it. Functions like the current AOW2 flashbang, but has the physics of the current hand grenade. Nonlethal, no damage. Role: Support, raids.
The Stun Grenade: Causes a disorienting screenquake and/or aim-shaking effect on any player in range of its explosion, along with significant knockback and player speed slowdown. Nonlethal, minimal damage. Role: Assasination and escape, trick jumping.
The Smoke Grenade: Self-explanitory. Causes a plume of dense, 10-second smoke that obscures movement and disrupts enemy aim. Role: Assisting defenses, assaults, and infiltration.
The Heal Grenade: Weird one. Like a smoke grenade but the mist is red. Heals anyone walking through the mist. Only for the Medic class.

Last edited by atac on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:38 am

Post Re: Specialty Grenade Types - For R2
I thought of this a long time ago too. Also, there can be a shock grenade which shock troopers use. Its explosion would be similar to Madcat's PPC ball explosion. Though I don't really like the idea where you choose which grenades to have. I think it would be better if the grenade types are class-based (phos for flamethrower class only, etc.). That way we can also have chem frag grenades, which are being used by chem warriors only. The pipe grenade can be used for demo expert. You may wonder why, when demo expert has remote C4s. Well, remote C4s are too powerful for being frag grenades, unlike the pipe one :)
EDIT: Slap me, I think the idea of choosing which frag grenades to use is good, not to mention the usefulness of the pipe grenade when a stealth trooper has it (when he goes to plant a beacon).
Anyway, I don't really see the point of flash frag grenades when you can actually buy those already.
EDIT: Slap me again, I didn't see that this is for R2. Why not just talk to the R2 devs instead of posting in AOW2 forum?
Anyway, if this by any miracle gets accepted in AOW2, you can use this as a smoke grenade: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=26539
It sucks and all, I know, but with a revamp it wouldn't be that bad :V

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:54 am

Post Re: Specialty Grenade Types - For R2

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:35 am

Post Re: Specialty Grenade Loadouts - For R2
Grenades are already pre-designated via the limbo's kit system and researching sub-kits/specializations can include new and/or different types of grenades.

It's probably my fault for not making a proper announcement about the mechanics we intend to show off for the prototype, but the class system works differently compared to all 1600 essays of BigFont and switches. There are 4 base classes (At this time: Assault, Engineer, Defender, Medic. Subject to change) and then players can pick a kit of weapons and a specialization to boot (And can build/research their own respectively- we've deprecated the credits system at this time but introduced a different kind of resource management thing, but I will explain this at a later date.)

Nevertheless, some of the weaponry we've talked about thus far are in preliminary talks so we'll keep this request in consideration.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Cool, thank you. Now that I know the main prototype classes for R2, I can make better assumptions on how the weaponry will be balanced.

If R2 does come out with these sorts of grenades, I wouldn't mind them backported to AOW2 like my previous post. From now, I'll assume different loadouts of explosives come with different class bases or weaponkits by standard.

Editing main post to correspond.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:10 am

Thank you, edited main post. Derp.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:38 am

Another stupid idea to be mocked is in the main post.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]