[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
All Out War 2 - View topic - AOW02 - Barrens
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
AOW02 - Barrens 

Post AOW02 - Barrens
Thread for comments on this map.

<Minigunner> "You have finally made it to the enemy base. You have bled out a lot, but you are still going. You plant a beacon by their War Factory, and what do you know? A little piece of metal from 10 miles away impacts your head, and you die."

<hsx3k>minigunner<?>: /o is a cool guy, he floods my console and doesnt afraid of anything
Eruanna: \o's a cooler guy, he appears whenever o/ shows up and doesn't afraid of minigunner

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:29 am

Post Re: AOW02 - Barrens
Might be old topic, but I have to say this.

The positioning of the red obelisk makes for an easier camp ground compared to blue's. It might be just me, but I think that the red base is ALWAYS easier to invade.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:35 am

Red's base should be an exact mirror to blue's base. This is how it should be on all maps so 1 team cannot easily get the upper hand all the time.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:53 am
Profile WWW

Well its not. The obby's are in different positions.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:18 pm

I hope this addresses the linearity and campability of this map, which is wildly popular due to its constant close fighting and never having any lulls in something to shoot at.

However, tiberium is too easy to attack on this map, and there is only one route into the enemy base, making any sort of attack a complete bitch. The most common gameplay of this currently revolves around camping the enemy's tiberium patch, and then send mechs in to seal the deal that no one ever gets through. But the base ITSELF is incredibly difficult to infiltrate, so the guys kind of just sit there and keeping the other team from leaving until they get bored. There is also no alternative tiberium field like the rest of the maps.

That additional stack of climbing crates over the wall in each base is debatable. On one hand it might make games go faster but people still like to make this map an impenetrable sandbag fortress anyway, myself included (hey, it works).

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:52 am
Lead Artist

Looking sexy?

I do like this map because of the constant combat. (War!!)
But I also agree that perhaps some more ways to infiltrate would make this map much less of, heh, sudden death whore.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:21 am

Lava on barrens? Since when is this? :P Though I think the map needs a retheme in general.

Also by now I think that instakill pits aren't that great of a feature to add to a map, I'd rather have heavily damaging floors. In Overload I had lava with 40hp/sec damage. >:F

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

Last edited by -=Dark-Slayer=- on Wed May 09, 2012 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

An image linked to a site that contains malware

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:52 pm

The sky looks terrible and doesn't fit the map at all.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:53 pm
Lead Artist

Talking about skies, would this be usable?

And if so, what's to improve here? :o
Kinda going for a desert-ey look here. (Might have to remove that clumpy part.)

Edit:

After a little task in IRC:

Argh, the top has to be flipped. Also, if some of you guys feel like rendering it at higher resolutions, here's the TGD. (Quite simple stuff.)

Attachments:
File comment: In case you don't know how to render a skybox, render the first image (front).
Then go to Cameras, first Rotation option is vertical (thus the top requires 90)

Second option is horizontal, right is 90, back 180, left 270.

Faggin DESERT.7z [4.15 KiB]
Downloaded 339 times
Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:41 pm

I love it. Hopefully you can get it to look good in software too.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 am

I'm planning on revamping Barrens and using a different sky... though this would definitely fit AOW18 and 12's secret to replace Sorbine.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:24 am
Profile WWW

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 pm
Profile WWW

Should work fine in the in-the-works playpal tho. Lemme test...

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:52 pm
Profile WWW

Attachments:
Screenshot_Doom_20120115_174438.png
Screenshot_Doom_20120115_174438.png [ 345.67 KiB | Viewed 10222 times ]
Screenshot_Doom_20120115_174403.png
Screenshot_Doom_20120115_174403.png [ 452.4 KiB | Viewed 10222 times ]
Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Lead Artist

Smexy.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Those screens look pretty damn impressive.

I hope the dimensions of each room aren't changed. The fanbase really loves this map the way it is and changing any more than the aesthetics would probably most likely be met with very strong backlash.

What I mean is the usual expanding and upsizing of maps when they get remakes. Sure as hell happened to the series of Renegade maps, among others.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

I do know that. :P Not intending on resizing this in any form... just making it prettier. Thought that means I'm gonna have to make up a new building set for this map..

The only change that I'd believe could affect gameplay is that I reconstructed the hill slope to be less flat, so it'll affect infantry movement. Mechs should have less trouble climbing it up though, in contrast to current version where they could get stuck in it. Also I've rebuilt the mid building as shown in screenshot but it'll be much like the current one from the gameplay standpoint. More barrels, though. :)

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:11 pm
Profile WWW

Tue May 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Wed May 09, 2012 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next