View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
AOW04 - Remake 

Post AOW04 - Remake
Any suggestions?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:14 am

Post Re: AOW04 - Remake
I think just redetailing/texturing could help and moving the base buildings closer to the front would definitely make it top notch. Its only real problem is the distance from any available entrance to an actual building, there's literally no way to get past the obelisk without getting hit by it.

The map's very similar to this one, but since we have 3d floors, we can make it more interesting

Personally I like the idea of a second cliff on the inner side, where the tunnels lead underneath. Snipercamping on the far cliff would not be such a prevalent solution for everything. I also think the building locations within the base would be very beneficial.

However, I think it's important to keep a fairly low sector count due to the general size of these maps, as well as the stress the Doom engine experiences with many slopes and 3d floors. Texture choice matters much more than number of sectors. Games like Quake1/2/3, Doom, and UT99 showed us that maps do not need loadsasectors to look good, and I'm concerned with the minute sector detailing trend I've seen in many new maps.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:37 am
:/

Please don't extend so much as to make it another Defunct Commission. I'd say add some tunnels that link the back of the bases together, and make that another big area. I don't think we really have any maps where the bases are wildly attacked by both sides. Might be fun, instead of the usual base deadend. Idk though, maybe too many mech rushes?

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:29 am

I think the size of the map is pretty good as it is, but yeah the base is too far away. I guess the mid could have a little more cover.. some rocks ought to fix that one up. Maybe also something to block the view from the center cliff to the base to prevent cheap plasma cannon/sniper spam. The tunnels are pretty cramped - could knock down some walls in there maybe - and honestly mechs going in there is pretty dumb to have and me thinks the entrance should be mech-blocked with monster blocking lines.

I once thought of making this a mountainside-style map and less really outright winter.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:58 am
Profile WWW

The biggest problem as I see it is spamming from afar with mechs or artillery.

It's possible to run into red base fairly easy without being hit by the Ob but not into blue.

The Ob is almost always the first building to go down in every match on this map which is kind of foreseeable and repetitive. I think every map should have at least 2 possible sneak in routes to base.

You can snipe red Ob from upper tunnel with artillery. This tunnel is seldom used for anything else and could be scrapped or maybe connected to lower tunnels.

Red Ob is damageable by wolverine while the Ob doesn't hit it if the wolv is standing covered at the right spot mid field.

Blue base needs stairs to tiberium where as red does not. Red tiberium field is also mostly covered by Ob while blue's is not.

I'm no big fan of mine fields either but that's more of a subjective opinion.

With all that said I think this is actually a well balanced map which seldom gets voted away. Don't destroy it. :) I think it mostly needs spicing up visually and some small refreshing changes to game play.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:04 pm
:/

That's due to the fact that everything fires from the right on the wolv (LRM's)

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:34 am

Just played the worst game ever on this map. It's so flawed if you're red. red Ob can be hit from both tunnel (artillery) and mid field (by wolverine) without being able to fire back.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:27 pm
Your local sprite tweaker
Lead Artist

Dat realization that the original AOW2 maps kind of sucked.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Blox wrote:
Dat realization that the original AOW2 maps kind of sucked.

Kind of?

It's about time I post this

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]